Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are we now OK with hybrids in our hobby & no longer as concerned about about purity?

• Yes

Votes: 67 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 93 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As i have stated in previous threads its about time we start pedigreeing our animals that way you have sire and dam history works with other animals why cant it work with ours. i personally dont see its wrong to cross animals that can naturally cross in the wild like diamonds and coastal carpets but crossing olives with diamonds is wrong. Although a albino diamond would look good.

What ailments are pure reptile suffering that mongrel snakes aren't ?

Maybe we could breed out ri and the like by crossbreeding. what about the jag problems it would be nice to breed that out of them because there colours are worth it. i personally dont breed crosses but i can see the appeal

Totally agree with Geckoman. Have your jag projects and keep pure lines pure. Simple!!
And because the herp fairy, has completely outlawed dishonesty, we will all live happily ever after.........................:)

cant believe we got another twitching mutt thread

And because the herp fairy, has completely outlawed dishonesty, we will all live happily ever after.........................:)

cant believe we got another twitching mutt thread

Like I said before, if you can't trust a breeder then don't buy of them, its your choice

I personally don't like the idea of Hybridizing our scaley obsessions, but I can understand the idea. Some of the Hybrids I have seen are absolutely gorgeous although most probably bred for profit rather than the enjoyment of the hobby itself. I dont think anyone will ever be able to say wether this is right or wrong, but I believe our herp lines should be kept pure.

I think some of the hybrids have potential for design was. I don't believe in inbreeding to make jags My thoughts on that is we don't do it in people because it genetically deforms us so why do it with a snake?

I don't like the fact of breeding something that rarely happens in nature. So I am against Jags of any species.
Can't say they don't look good.

oh jesus this again,
look some people like it some dont and it will ALWAYS be like that as humans we are gifted with an OPINION and everyone's is different it will never ever be 100% for it or 100 against why start another thread to cause an argument?

oh jesus this again,
look some people like it some dont and it will ALWAYS be like that as humans we are gifted with an OPINION and everyone's is different it will never ever be 100% for it or 100 against why start another thread to cause an argument?
Its a Troll thing!....:)

you could easily just ignore the thread and move on just saying thought this thread was on opinion's
you've made your opinion now move on that simple

If you want to breed snakes then you are better off breeding what people want than what they dont want, or you'll end up stuck with a lot of mouths to feed. Jags seem to be selling for 3 to 4 times what plain Morelia sell for which suggests there is a higher demand for Jags than plain Morelia.

You're missing the point of the poll. read the question and answer again... is it now more accepted then before? i.e. have you changed you view on the situation. this wasn't started as another for or against thread that a bunch of people just talk crap. We have plenty of them on here! It was aimed at a specific question. IMO it seems many have jumped ship and no longer appose it. Has your view on hybrids changed? peoples views use to be very passionately apposed to hybrids etc but it seems that some of those same people have changed views on the topic. Why?

Lots of people know my opinion of the topic and it has not changed one bit over the years.

I don't, they're ****e and will never like cross breeds.

Thats a shame .

What about all the so called pure breeds of domestic dogs and cats ?

What many people totally fail to understand is that our domestic dog breeds are all the one species .
Moulded by polygenic traits creating different sizies and colours and traits basic mostly on polygenic traits.
But then if a labrador is bred to a poodle . This would be called a hybrid mongrol ??
But how ?? when they are all the same species ???

The same can be said for carpet pythons ... with the exception of Bredli and Imbarata .....

But then if a labrador is bred to a poodle . This would be called a hybrid mongrol ??

Nope, it's a laboodle, fancy name for a heinz "mut", but just look at the prices they actually bring.

My post has absolutely nothing to do with the actual question asked ............. or does it.

Personally I believe hybridisation has it's place, it's not for everyone, nor should it be. Pairing Morelia A with Morelia B just because you have them has no real benefit. As wrightpython said (i believe it was, Im too lazy to scroll back) it is a valid way to introduce morphs into new lines. IF these progeny are to be passed on IMO it should be made clear they are hybridised.

And it's not only with carpets. How many GTP breeders outcross Aussie natives. Why? $$$$$$$$$$$ there can't possibly be other reason.
Just like with carpets, those who bought these mongrels and bred from them are passing the progeny as pure native.
My opinion will never change, whether referring to carpets or GTPs, or whatever other species - if it's pure, keep it pure because soon we won't be able to find pure stock (like in the US) and we won't trust anyone. That's the downside of it.

Thats a shame .

What about all the so called pure breeds of domestic dogs and cats ?

What many people totally fail to understand is that our domestic dog breeds are all the one species .
Moulded by polygenic traits creating different sizies and colours and traits basic mostly on polygenic traits.

The same can be said for carpet pythons ... with the exception of Bredli and Imbarata .....

Have you got any peer reviewed literature that confirms all carpets are the same species with those couple of exceptions?
I wrote a reply a few years back that got me an infraction but it went along the lines of monkeys and humans share 98% of the same dna so going by that logic some people would have no problems breeding with a chimp.I also added that this so called paper was written by a biology student and was never peer reviewed,I'm also not sure it was ever published.

i think its ok for hyrids as long as it is knowen to the buyer and that the seller tells them its a crossbreed . i personaly would not buy hyrids as i prefer puer bloodlines

Hydrids are here to stay, but that doesn't change my opinon of them. I know plenty will disagree with this but with all the lies and dishonesty that surrounded there release into the local market as soon as someone dabbles in hybrids or Jags I will never trust there pure lines again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back