Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are we now OK with hybrids in our hobby & no longer as concerned about about purity?

• Yes

Votes: 67 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 93 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dog and cat breeders have a register and a central body who provides, stamps and signs pedigree papers. This will never happen with reptiles with the exception (I hope) of the Oenpelli python. There is a chance, everything else - it's too late.

My comment was in reference to this 'A jag is purely a hybrid always has been, overseas or here' which is obviously inaccurate.

That all depends on your definition of hybrids, considering the chances of pure coastal Jags being in the country are buckleys to none.

Personally I'm ok with it & it's the direction the hobby seems to be going in whether people like it or not.. I wonder how people will feel about this topic 10 years from now? Each to their own I say. What happened to the old saying "if you haven't got anything nice to say than don't say anything at all"

That saying is pretty stupid. Important things may not always be nice, still well-worth saying. Agree?

What happened to the old saying "if you haven't got anything nice to say than don't say anything at all"

No guilty verdicts?

Come on debate happens with anything that is worth talking about. My interest in the hobby is headed the way of small monitors, I am trying to get out of everything else. For me they have to be of known locality (or at least possible to trace) or I am not as interested in them. The differing locales as they have evolved in nature are what interest me not bright colours etc.
The vast majority of mine are F1 (and I am working hard to track down those animals history that are not).

Last edited:
That saying is pretty stupid. Important things may not always be nice, still well-worth saying. Agree?

Agreed. I just get sick to death of all the pointless back & fourth bickering over what people like to keep as their pets.

Hahahaha this thread is an interesting look into how people percieve questions asked lol. My opinion is yes people are more accepting of hybrids these days, but they will muddy the waters for the years of breeding to come.

Cheers
Congo

An interesting look at how so many people can't seem to understand and then answer a simple question I think!

Those who like hybrids get so defensive about their precious hybrids and argue that it's OK because newbs like them and there's money to be made etc. But they don't want to lower their guard and explain why they believe it is OK and morally acceptable to create a bunch of mixed bloods that will likely damage the hobby for the purists. They just tell them to take precautions... how ignorant! precautions wouldn't have to be taken so strongly if they themselves weren't creating the beast the purists fear.
The thread was started with the question 'is it more acceptable' and even though it seem most have struggled to answer the simple yes or no question with anything but defensive ramble, I think it's safe to say yes it's more acceptable now... BUT WHY do people now believe it's more acceptable given the strong opposition hybrids use to have? Why are they acceptable in your eyes?
We all know why the purists appose them but I just want to hear from those who love them, why should we accept them happily?
Personally money, demand etc doesn't make something acceptable, it just gives greedy people a reason to act irresponsibly. I can go rob banks and art gallery's if I want money and color, but my desire and those of others doesn't make it acceptable... does it?

Jason, do you mean "more acceptable" on moral grounds? IMO, morals and ethics are not important components of this hobby. Is that and the lack of code of practice acceptable?

Jason, do you mean "more acceptable" on moral grounds? IMO, morals and ethics are not important components of this hobby. Is that and the lack of code of practice acceptable?

Yer I guess so :) We know why people do it but why do they believe it is morally acceptable? Or is it that they only do it for the color and money? Should the purists lay down and shut up in response to something that will taint the hobby and is deemed morally wrong by some and possibly even some of those breeding them? I recall some of the OS breeders junping on this forum not to long ago warning that jags and the increase in hybrids they bring them will damage the hobby... Well it's happening so I suppose we should shut up, suck it up and accept it?

Well it's happening so I suppose we should shut up, suck it up and accept it?

Not necessarily, take a step back, distance yourself from it and fly your own flag. We are not all in this hobby for the same reason and for the same benefit.
.... and read my signature (although I don't have any enemies). lol :shock::D:evil:

I voted no. Just a thought guys, hybrids can and will dilute the purity of stock and muddy the waters for the hobby, what about the possibility of mudding the waters of wild stock? Corns and other exotics are more and more commonly found dumped and discarded. What if some young hybridiser decided to put a random pair of snakes together hopeing to produce this wow looking snake (and get rich) and ended up with the most ugly unsellable clutch? Would he or she freeze them (should they)? or will this person let go (lets says) 30 snakes in the wild and and let mother nature do there thing? (crossing with locale specic breeds) Gosford Diamonds for example.
Were do we draw the line? Most people down the track want to breed snakes, but now we are opening a gate that may never again be shut?
Just sayin....

I voted no. Just a thought guys, hybrids can and will dilute the purity of stock and muddy the waters for the hobby, what about the possibility of mudding the waters of wild stock?

This is really my only worry. I have seen this happening and have caught many an escaped out of area python.
I have witnessed mating between coastal and diamond in the wild, and removed from the wild a diamond cross jungle that would make the pro crossing group blow their horns and twirl the party batons with amazement. Per capita I have heard that the Central Coast has one of the highest herp keeping populations, and we catch plenty of things that aren't from around here.
I have had non-purists (for want of a better word) argue that they will not survive in the wild, but they are putting a spin on something they don't have involvement in, and have no idea about. The gate is definatly wide open and time will tell.
Did the jag python "evolve" into the hobby under honest and true circumstance?
Its a classic tale of greed, grabbing all you can and then bailing out.
When its like that from the beginning, how can anyone be trusted?

a hybrid/cross/intergrade escaping and a pure escaping is no different, if my darwins or gammons escaped how is it any different than a daimondxbredli or jungle x darwin escaping? no difference all are non native to my area.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back