Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are we now OK with hybrids in our hobby & no longer as concerned about about purity?

• Yes

Votes: 67 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 93 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
a hybrid/cross/intergrade escaping and a pure escaping is no different, if my darwins or gammons escaped how is it any different than a daimondxbredli or jungle x darwin escaping? no difference all are non native to my area.....

The difference is read my post. Breed ugly mutts, cant sell, release whole clutches, stuff up locales specific snakes. Not talking about the occasional escapee.

unable to get on line
so havent read the entire thread

But one of the saddest things internationally is the hundreds of threads asking
What is my xxxxxx snake??
Because of hybrids they simply dont have a clue
Even some that are sold as 'pure' end up being bred and then the question is
'What the hell are these I just bred?"

You need a hybrid expert to answer this one
How many out of each clutch retain the looks of either parent but dont obviously show the hybrid?
Can those then miss a generation and their offspring look like hybrids?

Its a bit like Pandoras Box
Its open now
Too late to try and shut it

longqi i was surprised at your absent comments during the early stages of this thread. welcome aboard :)

So just because its colouration may be different to that of a wild type specimen means you need to ask the question about its purity?

simple answer YES would you buy a holden commodore with a ferrari badge on it thinking it was a ferrari. Just because someone names it a certain type doesnt mean it is that type and anyone wanting pure lines should sort from reputable seller and know what they look like. and before you yell nothing wrong with holdens if you got a red neck

The poll has been consistent throughout the thread with around 60% opposed which might suggest we are not ok with them.

Nope, it's a laboodle

No way, watch Scrubs and Dr Cox will tell you it's a Labradoodle, which apart from being hilarious rolls off the tongue so much more nicely.

Personally I'm ok with hybridising spilota subspecies to the effect that some individuals produced are amazing and unique, but come on - there is no way that everyone will admit what they're really selling and if it becomes a big thing then everybody with two snakes will pair them, irrespective of subspecies.

I am also ANYTHING but a fan of jags. On first glance they look extraordinary but if you stop and look at the markings they're only a few generations past our current top-shelf RP Jungles, Darwins and Coastals. To me jags are a quick and easy way to skip the line-breeding process and achieve fame because in terms of appearance you can't really go wrong with them.

And my big question is, is there any way for us to know what they experience when they twitch or spasm or whatever it is they do? How do you know that they're not in absolute agony?

Honest question, What would/does happen to the offspring of hybrid snakes if they are unsellable, due to whatever reason? Could someone please shed light on this matter.

The same thing that happens to battery hens when they go off the lay (apologies....probably uncalled for).

Honest question, What would/does happen to the offspring of hybrid snakes if they are unsellable, due to whatever reason? Could someone please shed light on this matter.

Give them away to people who want them but cant afford to buy. younger and eager herps sometimes need a freebie mongrel to help them start collection i know i did when i was 14 and thanks to jim stopford and jeff banks i got a leg up

Wheres your badge?

Some of you guys could start putting laws against humans mixing whites with asians, darker sorts or any other foreigners.

Whats the difference? Few questionable characters getting around but thats perfectly fine.

Snake Racists people. Ha Ha

I personally dont see the joy in crossing Jags to others Jungles, Bredli, MD's or whatever.

No one seems to mind anymore of albinos being crossed with every thing that slithers.

Keep it in the coastal family they come from vast areas and have pretty mixed variety already.

Some of you guys could start putting laws against humans mixing whites with asians, darker sorts or any other foreigners.

Whats the difference? Few questionable characters getting around but thats perfectly fine.

Snake Racists people. Ha Ha

When did human ethnicity become a sub-species? Guess that would be the difference hey?

Subspecies? What is it? I am happy to stick to this definition:

SUBSPECIES: “A population that has been geographically isolated for an unspecified period of time, and that has attracted more attention from researchers than one which has not yet achieved that status”.
A product of vivid imagination and poor science.

Nice come back.

Was merely pointing out mixed races exist on the same soil. As do pythons.

Mate, people are just slightly more mobile that snakes. That makes your theory somewhat redundant.
Snakes are actually less ethnophobic than people. They live in communities consisting of (often) many species. Snakes must be atheists, I am sure they are, they don't declare wars.

My contribution for the day. Take it whichever way you like.

<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back