Snake Identification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TommtCheeks

Reaction score
Hi all, I was in the shed today and found this cute little guy.
Dose anyone know what he is? i live in a midwestern coastal town and a bush fire has just ripped through so we seeing more and more snakes.
Any infomation would be helpfull so i can find a nice spot to relocate him GOPR0047.jpg

I never get to answer first!!! I am going to say Keelback - release anywhere, pref within a few km of a dam/lake etc

Otherwise a Tree Python, still non ven, which I am sure you have gathered since someone is holding the python in the pic, prob not wise unless you are 100% its non-ven

Did I win???? huh huh, yah for a being a night shift worker and the only one up lol

Could it be a legless lizzard now that i think about it coz his so small

Your not the only one on nightshift mate haha

That is me with him on my hand, he is very quick and dosent bite.

Last edited:
Im a sparky working as an operator maintainer on a crude oil prosses plant, and you?

I was just looking at some info on the keelbacks and apparently they dont live in my area (Dongara westaus)

Then tree snake, doesn't matter what it is, I can say its non ven, due to head shape:)
Ohhh you must be rich then,... I have heard what you guys earn, ahhh I am emplyed full time but I prefer to not say on this forum, happy to pm
I love night shift, others complain about it, i sleep no probs during the day, (no A/C) don't shut blinds, just am made for n/s, ohhh maybe I am part vampire???

employed, I can really spell, sort of..

Then tree snake, doesn't matter what it is, I can say its non ven, due to head shape:)
Ohhh you must be rich then,... I have heard what you guys earn, ahhh I am emplyed full time but I prefer to not say on this forum, happy to pm
I love night shift, others complain about it, i sleep no probs during the day, (no A/C) don't shut blinds, just am made for n/s, ohhh maybe I am part vampire???

Please please please tell me you are joking.

Yeah we do ok... Yeah night shift is the bomb this is my first night on. we do a week of 12hour days then a week of nights. then got 2 weeks off!!
Its good when there arent many ppl around on site when on nightshift i like it. yeah i sleep like a log hey no probs. some mornings me and my shift partner will
go out for a fish after work on his boat its killer

This is what I did post...

"It is a shame that the photo is out of focus. It looks like a Hooded Scaly-foot (Pygopus nigriceps). However, with that pic I cannot guarantee it.

phantomreptiles, a bad guess this time around - better luck in the future. Given your reluctance to disclose your employment and a stated predilection for sleeping days and working nights, I guess you will just have to be known as a lady of the night."

Following is what I should have posted...

From that photo, I certainly cannot make a positive ID or even a possible ID with any degree of surety. I could only make a guess.

Phantomreptiles, your response to a snake ID is not appropriate.

TommtCheeks, you assume it is a snake (put in this thread) yet you free handle it – definitely something that I would not advocate and the wrong example to set for our younger, more impressionable and less experienced readers.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we all see what happens when people think it's ok to guess now? This is ridiculous! Nearly everyone in this thread deserves an uppercut.

l know what you do LOL.
cheers Baden

Could you not have attached a better photo. The photo is not of poor quality, it's just that the subject is out of focus. I can clearly see your shaving cream on the sink in the back ground.
It looks like a species of Delma to me, at least some type of legless lizards.
While to me, it is clearly not a snake. Your thread name indicates that you thought it was.
Do you think it wise to be holding this "cute little guy" without knowing its true identity?
Is it the shadow from your blinds on your windows giving it the pattern or does it have variable colours along its body?
Don't want hammer you about it, just to educate in case the next cute little guy is a juvie brown or tiger...or did I just get trolled?

I agree with Chewy. Here is what I would have included in last night's post had I not started to fall asleep at the keyboard...

I would recommend NOT free handling any serpent-like reptiles, no matter how small, until you are sure of their identity. Some elapids can still be dangerously venomous at a small size.

If you could see ear openings, leg flaps or a wide, fleshy tongue on the specimen in the photo, then it's a legless lizard. Alternatively, the vent will be positioned less than halfway along the body and the ventral scales will be an equivalent size to the dorsal scales and not run the width of the belly.

Blue

Globe, Unfortunately your humour is misplaced. We have been through this a number of times and there is a tacit agreement as welll as a request from the moderators (see sticky thread on this subject) to leave the sarcasm out of IDs. threads. The seroius of the message Waruikazi is putting across should not be diminished in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
TommtCheeks, you assume it is a snake (put in this thread) yet you free handle it – definitely something that I would not advocate and the wrong example to set for our younger, more impressionable and less experienced readers.

Well noted Blue i will do so in the future, thankyou Blue and Chewy For the advise. When i first found the little guy i checked his underbelly and found no leg flaps and very small belly scales. Sorry i dont have any better photos for you it would be nice to have a positive id. I resesed him today down on a little rocky outcrop near the river so he can find some frogs or lizards to feed on, he will have a much better chance at life now considering there was nothing but fire ridden bush for km's were he was found. Our local snake catcher and good friend of mine suggested it was a from the python family but he could not determine and exact id.
View attachment 237724

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back