Big big fish!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate fishing comps just in my area there are 5 local fishing comps that are on every fortnight and if you bag out on 7 different species your the man. I think they should all run by catch and release.

That would have stunk like no tomorrow
Here's my fishy!
Silly thing -.- Here ya go!
422652_10150560145408044_703223043_8876688_100817553_n.jpg

nice cod, do you usually carry them out of the water like that? :)

I wouldn't try it around here lol.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I just couldn't bring myself to do it is all.

Like with reef fishing, i'll catch as much as i need and then up anchor and either go home or catch something that is better suited to catch and release.

I remember being out trolling for mackies, i got a 30kg beast and i was disapointed because it was waaaay too much meat for me and the lure had torn the crap out of its mouth. So i caught one fish and had to turn back home lol.

Last time I was out at Cobourg we couldn't catch a fish small enough to justify killing for just two of us. They were all released.

We just had to survive on huge black lipped oysters, painted crayfish and mud crabs (and beer)

It was tough!

i cant stand the people that catch their bag limit of 4 or 5 species, or sometimes over their limit, especially crabbing, take everything home freeze it and or give it all away to people that are just gonna freeze it and throw it out when the remember its there 3 years later.... i know people that get a few dozen crabs and share them to friends when the cook them, what a waste, if they want it they will catch it or buy it from a co op...

Mud crab turns to mush if you freeze it! So do painted crays, the cell walls burst and all you have is goo!

Sharing is good, we're always happy to give fresh fish and crabs to friends and neighbours, it's good for the karma score!

Last edited:
nice cod, do you usually carry them out of the water like that? :)

I wouldn't try it around here lol.

Last time I was out at Cobourg we couldn't catch a fish small enough to justify killing for just two of us. They were all released.

We just had to survive on huge black lipped oysters, painted crayfish and mud crabs (and beer)

It was tough!

Mud crab turns to mush if you freeze it! So do painted crays, the cell walls burst and all you have is goo!

Sharing is good, we're always happy to give fresh fish and crabs to friends and neighbours, it's good for the karma score!

i can understand sharing a catch, but when its everyweek, and sometimes twice, it seems a bit of an over kill

Yep agreed. Cobourg was declared a Marine National Park after photos emerged of 300 (large) fish and 150 crays spread out on a beach then dumped! Just insane.

These days there are sensible bag limits and no crab or cray pots allowed. We still pick up all we need, crabs with a hook in the mangroves and crays with a spear drifting over reefs.

Mud crab turns to mush if you freeze it! So do painted cray, the cell walls burst and all you have is goo!

you can freeze muddies but as with any other seafood it's best caught an cooked that day.

Yea you can freeze muddies but they're not worth eating afterwards. And why bother, you can keep them alive for a week. Someone's catching way too many muddies if they cant eat their bag limit in a week!

Yea you can freeze muddies but they're not worth eating afterwards. And why bother, you can keep them alive for a week. Someone's catching way too many muddies if they cant eat their bag limit in a week!

Agreed as i said any seafood is best caught n cooked that day. You can freeze muddies without them turning to mush or as you said or the sell walls bursting an going to goo, they need to be cooked before freezing otherwise they taste like ****.. The legal limit for muddies down this way is 5, I could slam 5 muddies in week easy.

Agreed as i said any seafood is best caught n cooked that day. You can freeze muddies without them turning to mush or as you said or the sell walls bursting an going to goo, they need to be cooked before freezing otherwise they taste like ****.. The legal limit for muddies down this way is 5, I could slam 5 muddies in week easy.

The limit's 10 per person here and we can bag out on the first run (10 pots per boat limit). My missus can eat 5 in a day! :)

breakfast!
PB220048.jpg

Last edited:
The limit's 10 per person here and we can bag out on the first run (10 pots per boat limit). My missus can eat 5 in a day! :)

breakfast!
View attachment 238204

Hate to be the first one to make you aware of this mate, but i think you have crabs......... On a more serious note i agree with you all, back in 06 a mate and my self toured the north east and east coast of Tasmania fishing and eating what we caught, we would fish all day but only keep with we could eat that night or for lunch. we got squid and salmon and whiting and flat head. Was great, people couldnt under stand why we would throw so many back, simple in 18 years time i would like to do the same but take our kids with us and hope they are able to enjoy the same experience because people have not been stupid enough to over fish.

My last fishing trip was the best in ANYONES life...

We were catching fish all day, and in the last hour I think I caught about 45-50 flathead (some double hooks ups)

We had already reached our bag limit for all of us, so they had to all go back.

Yeah some people just abuse it & dont think or care about conservation AND for the new generation of fisherman. I would luv to see my grandchildren actually pullout a real fish from the sea not from a deep sea fishing game on the PS3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back