Do you believe in macroevolution?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does macroevolution occur?

• Yes

Votes: 94 82.5%
  • No

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously. How many cubic kilometers of evidence is required?

Disclaimer: This thread has nothing to do with religion, which is a topic which may offend some (or many) people, and is consequently banned from being discussed on this forum. Many religious persons are quite comfortable with the idea that species have evolved from other species over geological periods of time (macroevolution), and hence, at least at a practical level, acceptance of the reality of macroevolution does not necessarily entail the rejection of theism (broadly, the belief in a personal god) and/or deism (broadly, the belief in an impersonal god). And likewise, the only alternative to evolution is not necessarily creation by god, whether direct or indirect (strongly-actualized or weakly-actualized as philosophers would say). Perhaps life was seeded on Earth (the Gaia principle), perhaps from beings on other planets (aliens?).

Post: Many people do not believe that one species can evolve into another species, but do accept that change within a relatively fixed "type" can occur (microevolution). The poll question under consideration is whether or not one species can transform so significantly that it may be deemed to be a wholly different species from the ancestral stock from which it is derived (macroevolution).

Please feel free to add any of your thoughts on the subject, but please do not bring religion into the discussion as I do not want this thread to be deleted or closed, but to stay open. Thankyou.

Ah no, you are using the Latin rule, platypus is from the Greek and there fore is pluralised with the suffix 'odes.'

I'll be expecting a written apology....

Haha. I just looked it up to make sure I was correct in case I was wrong. Seems I was. I....apologize....

"Calling on his knowledge of Greek, Shaw bestowed on the animal the name Platypus anatinus, from the Greek Platypous, meaning flat-footed, and the Latin anatinus, meaning duck-like"

(Ann Moyal, Platypus: The extraordinary story of how a curious creature baffled the world, pp. 6)

Last edited:
I admit that I was wrong Mr. waruikazi. The plural of platypus is not platypuses or platypi as I mistakenly believed. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience which this may have cause you.

P.S. You spelt explanation wrong in your last post :D

Last edited:
I admit that I was wrong Mr. waruikazi. The plural of platypus is not platypuses or platypi as I mistakenly believed. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience which this may have cause you.

P.S. You spelt explanation wrong in your last post. I'll be expecting a written apology signed in blood...

That was a typo, not a spelling error. No apology... sorri! Hahahaha

You spelt sorry wrong in the above post as well...

What's that ancient and almost unknown saying, not even found in the most esoteric of books? "Two typo's makes a spelling error...." ;)

How many times did you proof read that to make sure you had no spelling mistakes? lol

Haha. I just looked it up to make sure I was correct in case I was wrong. Seems I was. I....apologize....

"Calling on his knowledge of Greek, Shaw bestowed on the animal the name Platypus anatinus, from the Greek Platypous, meaning flat-footed, and the Latin anatinus, meaning duck-like"

(Ann Moyal, Platypus: The extraordinary story of how a curious creature baffled the world, pp. 6)

Holy Academia! A cited reference! Looks like there's hope for this forum after all...

There's about 20+ hours of recorded lecture on Darwins Legacy that delves in to his theory and the effect it has had on the world.

stanford university darwin's legacy - YouTube

Interesting viewing, if you have the time...

Last edited:
Im reading The Voyage of the Beagle at the moment... it is wonderful reading about Darwins voyage to Australia.

Evolution (macro and micro) is the only theory explaining biodiversity. To not believe in it is akin to giving giant serpents consideration for explaining the formation of rivers when solid scientific explanations exist... basically its just really stupid.

Even the most religious of folk must believe in some evolution.

Lol thats news to me....Seems to be news to this study aswell...Unless things have drastically changed since 2009

On Darwin’s Birthday, Only 4 in 10 Believe in Evolution

Lol thats news to me....Seems to be news to this study aswell...Unless things have drastically changed since 2009

On Darwin’s Birthday, Only 4 in 10 Believe in Evolution

And it's not just America....You find similar results more or less across the board for most countries...

Last edited:
Darwin of course never came to Darwin. The harbour was named after him by John Lort Stokes, at the time captain of the Beagle on a mapping exercise on the North Oz coast. Stokes was with Darwin on the earlier voyages. The naturalist on board threw such a tantrum at Stokes naming a harbour after a former naturalist that Stokes named the next big harbour Bynoe (after the tantrum chucker!)

Darwin didn't mention Australia much in his books, just too bloody weird- hard enough getting evolution across without explaining monotremes! :)

Biological evolution is not simple change and it involves a lot more than then changes in the frequency of an allele. In biology evolution is the production of new species from previously existing species. The degree of change involved in this is immense and the average time span required in animals under natural conditions has been estimated to be around one million years.

Dogs have been domesticated the longest of all animals. It was felt the degree of visual differences between their ancestral progenitor, the wolf, and their current varieties, warranted classification as a separate species. However, genetic analysis has reversed that thinking and they are now a subspecies of wolf.

Viruses are on the border of living and non-living. They require a living sell to reproduce them. Structurally they are composed of a DNA or RNA core surrounded by a protein coat. Even a minor change in the core can result in a major change in the protein coat. Such changes are the equivalent of a single mutation in a cell. The changes resulting from a mutation in a virus are not an example of evolution.

There are no observed examples of speciation because it would take too many lifetimes to happen. This is why evolution is considered a theory. The mechanism that drives that theory, natural selection, is observable and demonstrable. Natural selection requires variation to work on. What Darwin could not explain is why variation in a population continued to exists after many generations of natural selection operating. He didn't know about recessive genes, random segregation of chromosomes in meiosis, crossing over, mutations and a few other mechanisms that produce variation within a population.

Slim6y,
C-14 is formed from the effect of comic rays on N-14 in the upper atmosphere. The carbon then combines readily with oxygen to form carbon dioxide, which mixes into the lower atmosphere. Here it is taken up and incorporated into living matter by plants in the process of photosynthesis and passed onto animals via the food chain. The isotope decays at an exponential rate – usually expressed as the half life, which is the time taken for half of it to decay. Because the carbon decays back to nitrogen, which is already present in the body, you need to know the starting % of C-14 when first taken up. This has been determined by determined using the amount present in cores from particularly old trees and correlated fossilised tree trunks (matching growth rings as these vary with each year's climate).

There are about a dozen different radioactive substances that can be used for radiometric purposes. For example, potassium-argon can be utilised to determine dates in excess of 3 billion years. Whereas C-14 is good for up to 60,000 before it becomes too inaccurate. Which substance is used depends on two things – the age being estimated and what substances are found in the material to be measured.

I totally disagree that Biology is a "weak" subject. To be good at it requires a level of competence in the other major science disciplines as well as mathematics.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
If everything was created why would something or someone be sick enough to create Mosquitoes, Tapeworm, Fleas and Ticks. Why would it/they create viruses and disease's spread by these four that kill and mutilate millions of children and adults each year. Why are we classed as the dominant species when we are easily killed of by the tiniest of single cell organisms. If the earth and universe was created the thing/person that created it must be cruel and sardistic to want so much pain and suffering from all forms of life.

In this instance, you have made incorrect use of a contraction in your pluralisation. There would not be an apostrophe in "typos". Also, the use of an ellipsis after "error" is entirely superfluous. Plus, the grammar is just atrocious! ;)

You spelt sorry wrong in the above post as well...

What's that ancient and almost unknown saying, not even found in the most esoteric of books? "Two typo's makes a spelling error...." ;)

"Therefore" is one word Gordo.

P.S. Don't try to tell us that your thumb slipped and accidentally hit the space bar!

Ah no, you are using the Latin rule, platypus is from the Greek and there fore is pluralised with the suffix 'odes.'

I'll be expecting a written apology....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back