halogen downlights and fiberglass mesh

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryant16

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
i am thinking about using halogen down lights for the purpose of heating and lighting for a bearded dragon tank.
what i have is a glass tank with a fibreglass mesh lid (it was constructed just using normal everyday fibreglass flyscreen) and for this to work the globe would have to sit directly onto of the flyscreen. would the heat emitted be enough to burn straight through the flyscreen mesh? i have tried googling this and have had no results. thanks in advance
ryan

what kind of down lights and the real question how much heat do they give off? loads of heat isn't good for flyscreen's in this instance

if you use aluminium fly screen it should be ok. i use flood lights for my beadies and monitors the bigger monitors i put a row of 3 i think there great and much better than reptile lights and cheaper you will just need to use a non contact thermometer so you can adjust the distance to get the right basking temp

I'm looking at just store brought general bunnings down light. I'm asking what the temp of the heat would be and if the flyscreen could handle it. I didn't use the aluminum flyscreen when constructing the tank lid ricky_91 :( that'a why I'm wondering about the results of tthe combined items

downlighs get really hot ive heard atleast couple hundred degrees they get too close to your timbers in your house they will burn timber. as long as they are ventilated on top of the downlight and you can buy the fireproof protecters which absorb most of the heat. i would also be buying 24v downlights aswell. make sure it comes with a transformer

hope this helps

View attachment 240151woudl something like this be any good??

Last edited:
I dont think the flyscreen would survive, technically the fibreglass weave will but any resin will burn at point blank

Thanks guys I think I might have to just construct a new cage.
I knew they got hot but I didn't realize to what extent.
Just plant nuts don't you use them in your tanks? How do you control the heat
output from them? I may be completely wrong though and they might be an entirely ddifferent light altogether

Thanks guys I think I might have to just construct a new cage.
I knew they got hot but I didn't realize to what extent.
Just plant nuts don't you use them in your tanks? How do you control the heat
output from them? I may be completely wrong though and they might be an entirely ddifferent light altogether
probably the same light, we just dont put anything across the front of them

I wouldn't risk it. Glass burns like the fury of hell. Get some aluminium or steel mesh. It'll hold up the the heat easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back