Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kruger88

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Following a recent spate of raids on people with exotics (This info comes from ZooChat another forum) are exotics in Australia really that big?? Now we all have our views about the topic of should we have them or shouldnt we and I am not here to start any arguments but has anyone been offered or know where to buy such exotics (Do not release names or details, merely starting a discussion).

I only know 2 people who keep corn snakes (privately), and while they do not breed them and have very secure enclosures I see no harm in them having them (I am having an anti NPWS year :p ) but thats just my point of view...... I wonder what else is out there.......

I was offered a 6ft boa, through a friend of a friend who knows a guy, who knew another guy etc hahaha for $300, about 5 years ago, don't know if it was a legit offer or just blowing smoke but needless to say i wasn't interested

Should we have had the cane toad? That is why exotics are illegal. Nearly every week on here someone loses a snake.

My vote is NO, for the sake of our own wildlife and environment, simply because not everyone can be trusted to keep them secure, so we must all miss out.

Make certain species an R5 in NSW. That will make you have to keep natives including elapids for atleast five years before purchasing an exotic.

I do not have any interest in exotics. Just putting it out there for those who do.

Should we have had the cane toad? That is why exotics are illegal. Nearly every week on here someone loses a snake.

My vote is NO, for the sake of our own wildlife and environment, simply because not everyone can be trusted to keep them secure, so we must all miss out.

I could be wrong but i think he ment exotics as pets (like birds, fish and the like), not to mass release them in qld. personally i don't think it would be much different then the aquarium market

my 2c

I could be wrong but i think he ment exotics as pets (like birds, fish and the like), not to mass release them in qld. personally i don't think it would be much different then the aquarium market

my 2c

Yes he did mean as pets but if they escape into the wild, as many pets do, they could become destructive or competitive to native fauna.

Make certain species an R5 in NSW. That will make you have to keep natives including elapids for atleast five years before purchasing an exotic.......

I agree. For this reason I would change my vote to yes, if the keeping of exotics was strictly regulated and controlled.

Perhaps an R5 licence could not be issued to anyone with an escape on their records. I don't think elapids should necessarily be included to qualify for R5, being dangerous, but an R5 licence should require certain strict or similar requirements and limited to certain species.

Last edited:

my 2c
the red eared slider turtle started out as an illegal pet , that now has ran ramped and is threatening the native turtles.

Another *yawn* exotic thread?

Yes however I am not specificaly aiming at exotic reptiles, surely there is a few monkeys floating around in private hands that the government doesnt know about. And of course the recent spate of wild lion sightings in Darwin (not to mention the pygmy hippo shot not long ago that was feral)

It is like those movies where people keep aliens....no matter how tight the security there is always a stuff up and they get out and inherit the world!

If I didn't have a license already, I would keep exotics if given the opportunity to obtain them. However with a license in WA, DEC can inspect my place at anytime and makes owning exotics too much of a risk. I almost regret getting a license as I cant even keep a diamond, jungle or RSP in WA.

It is like those movies where people keep aliens....no matter how tight the security there is always a stuff up and they get out and inherit the world!

GREMLINS!!!! lol. I am sorry but as much as i appreciate some exotics, i am one of those people who simplys states, i see no benefit of bringing them in! As stated look at the red eared slider. The amount of corns in Aus now is rediculous, let alone people being raided and keeping bloody boas and so on. It is bad when i have found it damn hard to even get the local elapids i want with out people offering me exotics... p.s this is the moment when i should warn you, offer them to me and i will.... note i WILL report. I have no time or patience for this kind of thing. there is my 1 dollars worth!

i totally agree here it is unfair i believe that to get your wildlife licence there should be some sort of test involved instead of signing a piece of paper

A test to own/breed a snake and yet there is still no test to allow people to breed humans...

been offered every thing u can think of!
spitting cobras
gaboon vipers
eye lash vipers
corns
boas
chamelions
anacondas
never taking any i like my aussie reptiles!
and i dont agree with making them legal in australia!
what would happen if one of those vens tagged you! UR DEAD!

Not a test, but a general captive management and husbandry cousre would save there being all the 'whys my snake not eating' lost snake' ect ect threads

The problem exists already. now its time to manage the problem. strict license rules and people who breed should have to only sell desexed animals as pets to control the spread of animals. exotics are here in large numbers at least the problem will be controlled rather than hidden..

A test to own/breed a snake and yet there is still no test to allow people to breed humans...

I Cannot agree more. there should be a bloody iq test and a bloody dero test and ability to raise a decent human test. should you fail castration(sp) swifty follows:evil:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back