Large Dedicated Green Tree Python Enclosure with Aquarium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of fundamental husbandry problems keeping snakes over water - the water reservoir becomes a septic tank as soon as the snake has a crap (and any filtration of a suitable size to deal with the bacterial bloom wouldn't fit into the room), and if the water is heated, there will be constant condensation on the inside of the glass as soon as the ambient temperature drops below that of the enclosure, with the consequent buidup of water running down the glass into the base of the enclosure.

The unavoidable bacterial buildup would be my biggest concern, and the fact that ultra high humidity is bad for all snakes, even GTPs.

Could look good if well set up, but for the health of your snakes, definitely not the way to go.

Jamie

There's a lot that goes into these, like the frameless glass and the aquarium,aquarium pump and heater etc etc. I have learnt to crunch these out quickly which is the only reason why I can do them for the price I do. I have kept the prices as low as I can, rather focusing on reducing material costs by negotiating suppliers and buying in bulk, and getting quicker at making them...

In saying that it is still pricey for what it is a fish tank on bottom and snake enclosure on top ???

I'm not trying to be rude or anything I'm just saying :)

Last edited:
Have you seen them in the flesh Jake007? They are worth every cent imo!

Agreed amazing enclosure. I agree with the water on the bottom don't personally like the idea all my gtps love ground crawling at night also

Cheers Brenton

Just a little bit of a price tag on them :)

If you want quality these days and want a living art piece (cage and happy reptiles) to sit and admire it will cost $$$ but look at it as an investment for your animals - they are a better visual alternative then a wall full of tubs........

I've built plenty of cages over the years and they can be costly and time comsuming and no where near as good as these.
I'll be investing some stein creations soon for my roughies. I don't know who'll be more excited - me or my animals :)

How much would freight be for something like that to be shipped to Townsville?

What a awesome enclosure, When someone asked for the price I was expecting something close to double what you are charging. The guys whinging about price obviously have never built their own enclosure with realistic looking fake wall and added up all the time spent and cost of materials. I would be very interested to hear how the tank a the bottom handles the bioload from a python. I you were worried about bacteria etc building up too much you could always use a uv sterilizer in the filtration somwhere.

My 2 fav animals combine in one enclosure hhmmm I wonder where i could fit one in without the wife noticing.

Cheers
James

Last edited:
If you want quality these days and want a living art piece (cage and happy reptiles) to sit and admire it will cost $$$ but look at it as an investment for your animals - they are a better visual alternative then a wall full of tubs........

I've built plenty of cages over the years and they can be costly and time comsuming and no where near as good as these.
I'll be investing some stein creations soon for my roughies. I don't know who'll be more excited - me or my animals :)

Yer I'm in the process of building 2 big cages right now I'll see how I go :)

Never said it wasn't nice it's great but yet just 1800$ is alot

Never said it wasn't nice it's great but yet just 1800$ is alot

My fiancé and I started planning to build our own enclosure, but after we started adding up the costs in materials and (even more expensively) our time, we got to around those prices or more anyway. Added to that, we would NEVER be able to produce something that looked as amazing as anything Ben has done. It was a no brainer to us, and I'm certain a no brainer to anyone else who has bought a Stein enclosure. Logic people, logic.

What a awesome enclosure, When someone asked for the price I was expecting something close to double what you are charging. The guys whinging about price obviously have never built their own enclosure with realistic looking fake wall and added up all the time spent and cost of materials. I would be very interested to hear how the tank a the bottom handles the bioload from a python. I you were worried about bacteria etc building up too much you could always use a uv sterilizer in the filtration somwhere.

My 2 fav animals combine in one enclosure hhmmm I wonder where i could fit one in without the wife noticing.

Cheers
James

The only question is the volume of water needed...I have my display enclosure at home with the water floor and it has no trouble coping with this but it has a bigger tank.
Stein Enclosures Large Custom Cabinet with Extras - YouTube
Will have to see how they go with the smaller tanks.

My fiancé and I started planning to build our own enclosure, but after we started adding up the costs in materials and (even more expensively) our time, we got to around those prices or more anyway. Added to that, we would NEVER be able to produce something that looked as amazing as anything Ben has done. It was a no brainer to us, and I'm certain a no brainer to anyone else who has bought a Stein enclosure. Logic people, logic.

??? Your time u never add your time in two a hobbie u like materials where are u shopping ? Lol I have to big ones in doing. Now for both of them I'm hitting 1000$ :) guess that's what happens when I can wield and have all chippy tools and get

1000x600x1800x by 2 :) there not HUGE but there big

everything for less then trade price :)

( I have never said it wasn't a good enclosures I'm just saying 1800$ is alot for what you are kinda getting ) :)
Some people just take everything the wrong way

??? Your time u never add your time in two a hobbie u like materials where are u shopping ? Lol I have to big ones in doing. Now for both of them I'm hitting 1000$ :) guess that's what happens when I can wield and have all chippy tools and get

1000x600x1800x by 2 :) there not HUGE but there big

everything for less then trade price :)

( I have never said it wasn't a good enclosures I'm just saying 1800$ is alot for what you are kinda getting ) :)
Some people just take everything the wrong way

I wasn't taking anything the wrong way, I was just disagreeing with your logic.

Enclosure building is definitely NOT a hobby of mine, we only considered building our own one simply because our snake needed a bigger enclosure. Thus of course I am going to take into account the cost of taking my time away from other activities that I could be doing, e.g. actual work or an actual hobby.

It's an extremely different scenario when you are working in a trade, have access to cheaper materials and knowledge of what you're doing. That doesn't apply to someone like me.

If you think $1800 is too expensive because you have the tools and the knowledge needed to build it, as well as the artistic ability to design and decorate something that looks as good, then that's fine. What I was saying is that there is going to be many people out there that DON'T tick all of those boxes, like me and probably anyone else who has bought an enclosure rather than building one themselves.

Enclosure building is definitely NOT a hobby of mine, we only considered building our own one simply because our snake needed a bigger enclosure. Thus of course I am going to take into account the cost of taking my time away from other activities that I could be doing, e.g. actual work or an actual hobby.

It's an extremely different scenario when you are working in a trade, have access to cheaper materials and knowledge of what you're doing. That doesn't apply to someone like me.

If you think $1800 is too expensive because you have the tools and the knowledge needed to build it, as well as the artistic ability to design and decorate something that looks as good, then that's fine. What I was saying is that there is going to be many people out there that DON'T tick all of those boxes, like me and probably anyone else who has bought an enclosure rather than building one themselves.

Even for a experienced trades person with all the tools enclosures like this still take a lot of time and pride sure go knock up a melinine enclosure for 300 bucks but unless you have done it a few times you still won't get it right I honestly think the curved hardened wood joins and edges alone are worth the money stated. Good work Ben I use PVC enclosures for my gtps which are aesthetically pleasing enough for me but these enclosures blow my mind every time I see them "good things are not cheap and cheap things are not good"

Cheers Brenton

True, it may look better than a melamine encolsure, but it still forces the snake to drink water contaminated with faeces as soon as it has had a crap. There is also the very important fact that most snakes often won't touch their water after it's been in their enclosure for more than 24 hours. Regulation of humidity would be impossible too.

Overall, a great looking enclosure, but one which will compromise the health of any snake placed within it. Without good air exchange with the outside (another thing which compromises temperature management) it will become a dank, stuffy, fetid space in which to keep any animal.

Our first consideration should be the welfare of our animals - an enclosure like this may look good to us, but it has the potential to compromise the health of a GTP within a very short period of time.

Jamie

But I under stand people don't have the convience of tools ect but I have seen really nice enclosures for 700$ big cabinets all done up at reptile stores just as nice as that . It's the fact it has a water tank joined to it makes it worth the extra$$$$

Building a cage isn't a hobby it's just to no you accomplish something for my snake hobby :)

Yer it's hard for people to take time off work to do it I do 60hours a week hahaha and I still find time in my life to fiddle around (just saying) :D

True, it may look better than a melamine encolsure, but it still forces the snake to drink water contaminated with faeces as soon as it has had a crap. There is also the very important fact that most snakes often won't touch their water after it's been in their enclosure for more than 24 hours. Regulation of humidity would be impossible too.

Overall, a great looking enclosure, but one which will compromise the health of any snake placed within it. Without good air exchange with the outside (another thing which compromises temperature management) it will become a dank, stuffy, fetid space in which to keep any animal.

Our first consideration should be the welfare of our animals - an enclosure like this may look good to us, but it has the potential to compromise the health of a GTP within a very short period of time.

Jamie

100% agree I don't like water on the bottom

Cheers Brenton

Jake 007 how many hours do you think would go into building this over a Chinese imported plastic glass enclosure add time and materials a good tradesman is worth a minimum of $60 a hour

Cheers Brenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back