At what age should you breed them

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpilotaFreak78

Reaction score
I have a slew of female carpets now, all waiting till they are adults so I could possibly use them for breeding. But how old is old enough? My two eldest are a High yellow Diamond and a Wenlock Jungle. Both are about two years old. Some people have said 3 years, others 4. Both are very beautiful girls and it would be a shame just to have them as pets and not breed them at all. I'd love to be able to brred my semi striped Coastal and my Bredli when they are old enough too.

I've only gotten female carpets for the idea I may be able to lease them out to breed with someone elses male or soemthing like that. I don't know if anyone does that like they do with horse breeding, but its an idea.

Depends on the weight more than age seeing as some may be slower growing than some
somw loan out snakes but not a good idea if the person you loan too can be trusted to care for the python

I have a slew of female carpets now, all waiting till they are adults so I could possibly use them for breeding. But how old is old enough? My two eldest are a High yellow Diamond and a Wenlock Jungle. Both are about two years old. Some people have said 3 years, others 4. Both are very beautiful girls and it would be a shame just to have them as pets and not breed them at all. I'd love to be able to brred my semi striped Coastal and my Bredli when they are old enough too.

I've only gotten female carpets for the idea I may be able to lease them out to breed with someone elses male or soemthing like that. I don't know if anyone does that like they do with horse breeding, but its an idea.

In theory it sounds like a good idea but in practical application less so.
I suggest you read this thread before deciding to go down that path....

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...arning-people-lending-snakes-breeding-171389/

That thought is something I am looking into as well. As for the size and ages thing, I have a 1yo Bredli thats the same size as my almost 2yo Coastal and those two are only half the size of the 2yos I have.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...people-lending-snakes-breeding-171389/[/QUOTE] Thanks, but I wouldn't think of ever lending to friends with just words, I am looking at this professionally and legally and would go in with all necessary paperwork and only work with professional breeders, even if it cost me an arm and a leg to breed. I have nothing against backyard breeders, I'd buy from them to get pets but never breed, because you don't know what will happen. I've leant things to people before and been burnt, thats why I deal only with legal paperwork when it comes to lending things like expensive snakes.

Last edited:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...people-lending-snakes-breeding-171389/[/QUOTE] Thanks, but I wouldn't think of ever lending to friends with just words, I am looking at this professionally and legally and would go in with all necessary paperwork and only work with professional breeders, even if it cost me an arm and a leg to breed. I have nothing against backyard breeders, I'd buy from them to get pets but never breed, because you don't know what will happen. I've leant things to people before and been burnt, thats why I deal only with legal paperwork when it comes to lending things like expensive snakes.

Who do you believe to be a professional breeder? not many people out there can make a true living from snakes and those that do eg. Snake Ranch won't allow other snakes into their breeding program without a strict 12-14 month quarantine period before they would incorporate that specimen.

That for you would mean up to 3 or 4 years before you would get your original animal back post breeding.

I have a few from Snake Ranch actually. My Darwins anyhow. As for the quarantine, I was actually looking into getting vet checks and having a bill of health on paper for the loans. Its no big deal at this stage as I can always buy males later, as this thread is primarily about the right breeding age, not really about breeding loans.

Diamonds and Bredli are late maturing so 3-4 yo, Most other carpets in the right hands can and do breed from 2.5yo onward. Its not just an age thing, condition of the snake plays just as an important part!

Vet checks are not worth the paper they are written on!
They can not tell you if a snake has any of the pathogens such as OPMV or IBD which are lethal to every snake in your control!

As for breeding loans they dont work in the majority of cases and for the snakes you are offering it wont be a plausable thing as they are very common within the hobby and the risk is not worth it!

The best thing would be for you to purchase a snake of the correct sex and quarantine it for 12 months and tackle the breeding on your own!

Last edited:
Considering all my snakes are females. I was looking into picking one particular type of male carpet python, but there will always be flack from those who are purists and say bloodlines and types of Carpets should not be mixed. But look at all those nice colour morphs and others they have out there. Things like Jags and Peppers were bred by crossing types and you can get some really nice morphs oput of say crossing a Diamond and a Bredli. I saw one recently at the Penrith show, Bredli pattern but with Diamond colours. People would not intend on releasing those types into the wild lest the snake actually got loose on its own, people breed things like that for admiring and keeping as a pet (well most do anyhow!)

Last edited:
Vet checks are not worth the paper they are written on!
They can not tell you if a snake has any of the pathogens such as OPMV or IBD which are lethal to every snake in your control!

As for breeding loans they dont work in the majority of cases and for the snakes you are offering it wont be a plausable thing as they are very common within the hobby and the risk is not worth it!

Could not agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back