Rifle hunters.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My rifle
Photo104.jpg

my shottie
Photo005.jpg

Yah Jedi, its a Gus. Oldie but it shoots straight and makes things die, so in terms of guns I 'spose its effective :)

Well, this seems as good a place as any to ask.
I'm looking at getting a rifle, mainly just for rabbits, anyone got any suggestions? I've used my dad's .22 a fair amount, wouldn't have a clue what manufacturer or anything I should be looking for, and don't want to spend a massive amount if I can help it

It depends in what you call a massive amount.

A great little entry level .22 is a TOZ (bought out recently by and re badged the Winchester Wildcat).

You'll get into one for around 4-5 hundred.

I've been reccomended to steer clear of the current Marlin BA (Bolt Action) rimfires, so I'll pass that rec on (though I've got an older Marlin BA .22 and its a great little gun. Tube mag that holds 17 rounds too.......

Last edited:
Well I just picked up my brand new cz 22lr with factory threaded muzzle 

I'll post up pictures later of my new one and my 6.5 when I get home

My Mauser beard has a modified bolt and trigger so it's much more like a normal modern rifle then something from 1901

6.5 is my weapon of choice(besides my bow(mathhews 80lb) when i went to see my dad at weipa last he took me to shoot the 6.5 and the 12 gauge side by side, that thing hurt so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have shot the .22 but all i got was a little sow, after 2 shots to the chest.

cool thread

prices you guys are quoting blow me away

example
first rifle was a single shot 22 cost 10 shillings about $1
dad gave it to me on my 1oth birthday and taught me to shoot
gave me 2 rounds each day and I had to bring home rabbits ducks trout or something
if i didnt i couldnt use it for a week so i learned how to hit what i aimed at pretty fast
have no idea how many deer and chamois it dropped but way over 100
useless on thar though

then bought an ex army smle jungle carbine with brass butt plate [ouch]
2 quid $4 including a full case of 303 ammo 260 deer 85 chamois and 72 thar
last kids gun was an very old single barrel greener shotgun 12 guage
tightest choke ive ever used
cant remember how much that cost
at 16 when i started deer culling then meat hunting i found a ww1 mannlicher 6.5 sniper rifle complete with zeiss scope
scope had cross hairs and 3 human figures in the reticule
heavy as hell until i cut it right down but awesomely accurate over long distance
it was under an old house that i was helping dad demolish so cost nothing

interesting thing is that all of them are still mine and stored safely away at my mums
only additions were a ruger mini 14 and a jg anschulz 22 bought at auctions for way less than $100 each

anyone wants to walk in the jungle deer hunting in kalimantan drop me a line
gfs a Dyak so all her relatives hunt either rifles or bows

6.5 is my weapon of choice(besides my bow(mathhews 80lb) when i went to see my dad at weipa last he took me to shoot the 6.5 and the 12 gauge side by side, that thing hurt so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have shot the .22 but all i got was a little sow, after 2 shots to the chest.

80lb bow you must be a big 12 year old, why does the 12 gauge hurt so much, pull it in tight

indeed. im nearly 2m tall built to match my height and damn strong. an 80lb pull isn't a light effort for someone my size, let alone a 12 year old who'd be what? 35-40 kg. almost punching above your weight :)

cool thread

example
first rifle was a single shot 22 cost 10 shillings about $1
dad gave it to me on my 1oth birthday and taught me to shoot
gave me 2 rounds each day and I had to bring home rabbits ducks trout or something
if i didnt i couldnt use it for a week so i learned how to hit what i aimed at pretty fast
have no idea how many deer and chamois it dropped but way over 100
useless on thar though

then bought an ex army smle jungle carbine with brass butt plate [ouch]
2 quid $4 including a full case of 303 ammo 260 deer 85 chamois and 72 thar
last kids gun was an very old single barrel greener shotgun 12 guage
tightest choke ive ever used
cant remember how much that cost
at 16 when i started deer culling then meat hunting i found a ww1 mannlicher 6.5 sniper rifle complete with zeiss scope
scope had cross hairs and 3 human figures in the reticule
heavy as hell until i cut it right down but awesomely accurate over long distance
it was under an old house that i was helping dad demolish so cost nothing

interesting thing is that all of them are still mine and stored safely away at my mums
only additions were a ruger mini 14 and a jg anschulz 22 bought at auctions for way less than $100 each

anyone wants to walk in the jungle deer hunting in kalimantan drop me a line
gfs a Dyak so all her relatives hunt either rifles or bows
ah longqi you just bought back stories my dad used to tell me of being able to ride the train with a rifle to go hunting although i agree with alot of the gun laws of today i just wish some things weren't so hard

ah longqi you just bought back stories my dad used to tell me of being able to ride the train with a rifle to go hunting although i agree with alot of the gun laws of today i just wish some things weren't so hard

Funny you mention that, I seem to remember my uncle telling a story recently about taking his rifle wrapped in a sheet/blanket in the overhead luggage rack of a greyhound bus on a hunting trip the day he graduated.

I also remember dad and his brothers used to target shoot match sticks in the back yard in suburban brisbane with air rifles and I'm pretty sure they used .22's in the back yard too :lol:

I just wish they weren't so hard to obtain, the whole permit to acquire system these days..........gah, talk about a headache

i remember being in the army cadets at school and being in army uniform we jumped on train carrying machetes and slr rifles . No one said a thing and were only talking about twenty years ago. The SLRs were unfireable but you couldnt tell.

A mate who owns one of my shooting properties was telling me about buying 303's from the local fish and chip shop as a kid. 4 pounds a piece and most of them were unfired and similar stories of being able to take it on the train between Cooma and Queanbeyan.

Its amazing how expensive some of these bits are. A good mate recently had his old Sako .222 rebarreled to a .223, while he was in the process he decided to put a new scope on it and on his Sako .270. He put Zeiss on both and payed $2000 for the .223 scope and $3500 for the .270.

The quality is something to be seen though......Nothing short of amazing.

Last edited:
A mate who owns one of my shooting properties was telling me about buying 303's from the local fish and chip shop as a kid. 4 pounds a piece and most of them were unfired and similar stories of being able to take it on the train between Cooma and Queanbeyan.

Its amazing how expensive some of these bits are. A good mate recently had his old Sako .222 rebarreled to a .223, while he was in the process he decided to put a new scope on it and on his Sako .270. He put Zeiss on both and payed $2000 for the .223 scope and $3500 for the .270.

The quality is something to be seen though......Nothing short of amazing.

I wish I were able to walk into the fish and chips store and buy a .303, that would have been a good time to live, but I suppose it's all for the best, after all, didn't Pauline Hanson own a fish and chip store in Ipswich once............scary thought.

The Prices can definitely run away from you when buying top of the line, but you can also buy some good rifles and scopes for comparatively not much money (compared to those prices Beard :lol:)

my Mauser cost me $650, it's a 111 year old action and by the markings the barrel too, and it shoots brilliantly, and I'm still only using factory ammo, some of the brand new rifles aren't as good.

I bought a Hawke tactical Sidewinder scope with Illuminated reticle and the quality on that is superb, kills my old bushnell scope, I've never looked through a zeiss scope, but I don't think the quality could be worth 4-7 times more then mine, I paid $500 for my scope including postage from America, much cheaper then the markup here in Australia, the worst bit was trying to get it to fit :lol: the gunsmith had fun.........:rolleyes:

I'm keen to see other peoples setups, I'll post mine up when I go home tonight to take pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back