Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaffycat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thought it was about time I actually register and say Hello :) and tell our story on how and why we decided to join the herping world

It all started last Xmas when my son met a cousin whose girlfriend had the most gorgeous Diamond python (high yellow) we were facinated and after seeing how friendly she was both my son and I were hooked and couldn't stop talking about her

Now we have been cat owners for all my life and have had 2 gorgeous girls (now in kitty heaven) and have a new cat but my youngest son has always wanted something a bit different so after much discussion and research I gave the green light to the purchase of a snake (must say hubby was not keen but I said 'why not' - he let older son buy an old HQ Holden ;)) but that's another story for another day
I am now the coolest 50 year old mum in the neighbourhood and all his mates are jealous

so after much reading, research, getting the licence, buying the cage, more reading etc etc son finally decided on a spotted python even though I was very drawn towards the stimsons

so we found a breeder and my son picked out a gorgeous little spotty - we got her home and put her into her new home which she has settled into very nicely - mind you she has tried a few escape attempts which we have managed to avoid and block.. (fingers crossed)

she has had 2 sheds, no problems at all and smashes her feeds down with gusto

I can honestly say that I am completely hooked and in total awe of this little animal that makes me walk into my son's room so many times a day/night to watch her basking or just cruising around her cage - my favorite thing is sitting watching her and she has a big yawn... :D she had 2 just tonight and older sons girlfriend was rapt to be there to see it
I'm like a new mum all over again and was very nervous the 1st time she went into shed and we didn't see her for days but am slowly starting to relax and realize what a clever little creature she really is

having said all that I am also finding it really exciting reading all the forum posts and learning more and more about these amazing animals and hope to keep learning as we go

this is a pic of our little girl - Miss Slithersworth (yes strange name but again it's a long story)

12-EAD57C59-2283331-800.jpg

I've got some great videos but they are about 5 mins long so not sure if I can put them on here but one of them really shows off her nice colour and pattern

Hi and welcome to the forum!
That's a lovely spotted you have there, and surely you and her will have many happy years together!
Remember that most people here are more than willing to help you, so ask any questions you want!
Enjoy!

Weclome to aps.
Not many mothers out their actually agree with reptiles in their house let alone encourage, it so well done :p
My mum has just learned to put up with it!

Weclome to aps.
Not many mothers out their actually agree with reptiles in their house let alone encourage, it so well done :p

thanks for your support and encouragement... :) I was surprised also that many of the mums I've spoken to are horrified/scared of the thought of a reptile but I've always been one of those mums who is 'into' the things that my boys like - my oldest son loves V8 cars and we go to the races together, my youngest son is also into computers (builds them etc) and I love learning from him and drive him mad with all my techno purchases...lol
Maybe menopause has made me more adventurous ;) mind you I would draw the line at spiders :shock:

Weclome to aps.

hahaha totally agree! my mum was not impressed with the idea but has warmed up considerably and can often be found in my room watching my spotted and chatting away to him.

hahaha totally agree! my mum was not impressed with the idea but has warmed up considerably and can often be found in my room watching my spotted and chatting away to him.

lol.... well I've been talking to my cats for years... and talking to the snake seems completely normal for me :p
we don't give animals as much credit as we should and they are a lot smarter than we think.... our cat knows when I call him and tap on a tub of youghurt with a spoon that it's time for desert

lol.... well I've been talking to my cats for years... and talking to the snake seems completely normal for me :p
we don't give animals as much credit as we should and they are a lot smarter than we think.... our cat knows when I call him and tap on a tub of youghurt with a spoon that it's time for desert

lol im forever talking to my animals. the horse is by far the funniest to chat with hes such a doof :p i swear my older cat answers me when i tell him off as well- he's full of attitude that one.

Ohhhh she is beautiful!!! We have just recently gotten our first snake also a beautiful jungle girl. Im a young mum of 2 kids and my almost 3yo thinks the snake is the best. I cant wait for the kids (i have step children also) to be a bit older and capable of handlung her!!! Goodluck and congrats

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

Miss Slithersworth...... LOVE THE NAME !! :lol:
Hi and welcome...well, if you're the coolest mother....I'm the coolest .. grannie. :lol: Just ask anyone here... ;)

This is a wonderful site, very friendly, very helpful and mostly lots of fun. So sit back and enjoy yourself and expect to be here for a very long time.

Cheers, Annie :lol:

hi and thanks Annie... lol you are definately one cool grannie nice to meet you and yes I love these types of forums

Hi and welcome to the Herping world I am a senior as well and i also got hooked when my son bought a black headed python a month later i gor my first snake and now we have quite a few they are awesome creatures enjoy and again welcome:)

Hi there Shaffycat and welcome to the forrum like the name of your new spottie

yes my boys wanted to originally call the cat ' general Mcfur ' but I was like... NO coz it's my cat but seeing the snake is my son's and his older brother came up with the name it seems to have just fit her as she is always flicking her tounge when she is up and about and is slinking around her cage

Hi there and welcome.
I have a feeling that this one wont be the last.
You should check out Woma's : )
Hope you enjoy the forum's ups and downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back