breeding quail questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

citrus

Banned
Reaction score
i have breed rats before i even got my first snake but im now looking at breeding quails ive read a few threads and googled it but can anyone give me some tips/tricks? and problems they have come across? thanks

What type of python you intend to feed? If you have one that is, or will get, 'big' then go with the jap quail - they are cheap and easy to source, grow quick, and breed quick :)

For the littler ones then go the king quail - but you can't have them with the jap quail or you'll just end up with jap quail and your snakes will miss out!

i breed darwins, i was thinking japs but was trying to find out what others breed and why that type

Last edited:
get ready for the 4.00 am calling (by the cockbirds).....

get ready for the 4.00 am calling (by the cockbirds).....
lol there lil squark is so cute haha :D

[video=youtube;pJCEh7YP0U4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJCEh7YP0U4[/video]
- for the ppl that haven't heard one..

have you all tried to breed Jap quail? it's very rare to find a hen that will incubate because they have been so domesticated

I know, I use to keep heaps of Jap Quail. That's why I said it. Most people don't know that about them. I found the quails quite clean and highly intelligent. It all depends on what you feed them. If you feed them chicken crumble they smell a lot more than seeds, grain, insects and free range.

I think thepythonguy meant not nice to clean up once they have gone through the snake.

yes but large rats have such a high fat content i have spoken to a guy that breeds alot of snakes and he just feeds quail to his snake and the are alot more lean (not skinny) and he has breed darwins and coastals at 2 years old successfully

yeah i meant when they come out the other end of the snake

I breed them for my snakes

comparing to rats they are alot slower in production

I found using the chicken layer pellets helped beef them up alot quicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back