I am getting a Diamond hatcling tomorrow, got any helpful advice/stories?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moreliamanic

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My partner is getting her for me for my birthday :D just a little bit excited!
I have experience handling snakes, I have had a Bredli for roughly 9 months and have done a lot of research.
Just looking for personal experiences, tips, advice, stories, anything!

congrats! diamonds are beautiful snakes, i have a girl who turned 2 in february. considering you've owned a bredli, you probably know all the basics. but keep her in a smaller container/click clack for the first few months - putting her straight in a big enclosure can spook them and lead to aggressive behaviour. have you got her UV and heat all ready for her? can't wait to see a pic when she arrives!

I got a yearling at the SOFAR expo a few weeks ago, and he is awesome.

I've never kept Diamond's indoors before, so this is a new experience for me, though I was speaking to a breeder (whom I have a great deal of respect for) and he advised not to offer heating at night, and a maximum of 27c in the day only. I am OK with this, except for the fact that I think it gets too cool at night for feeding. Not sure whether other keeper's of Diamond's follow this heating regime, or not. Another thing he mentioned was not to worry about installing a UVB light, but to ensure he gets natural sun (by taking him outside) reguarly.

we normally turn the heat off at night except for the night we feed. e.g. if we feed her in the evening we just leave the heat on that night, and the next day, and then turn it off the following night.

we keep our diamonds outdoors this year. Last year I just gave a constant warm end, at anything between 26-32 and cool end at room temp, wich dropped down considerably during night time in the winter months. Now they have several hides with spaghum and bark as insulation in polystyren boxes. This is outdoors and they can hide or sunbake as they please. The enclosure is 1.8x1.8x1.2, so fairly large

They are, aren't they! I have a click clack which I'll use for the first couple of months. My partner and I are making up a vivarium, its roughly 70x30x40cm,(heating and UV will be installed) is this too big after only 2-3 months in a click clack? I know Diamonds are arboreal, so I want some height for when she starts getting curious and active. what do you think? I don't have any UV and heating set up yet, as she will be in the click clack.

When u keep them out side
What about if it starts to rain and your not there

I got a yearling at the SOFAR expo a few weeks ago, and he is awesome.

I've never kept Diamond's indoors before, so this is a new experience for me, though I was speaking to a breeder (whom I have a great deal of respect for) and he advised not to offer heating at night, and a maximum of 27c in the day only. I am OK with this, except for the fact that I think it gets too cool at night for feeding. Not sure whether other keeper's of Diamond's follow this heating regime, or not. Another thing he mentioned was not to worry about installing a UVB light, but to ensure he gets natural sun (by taking him outside) reguarly.

Awesome! thanks for this advice. They don't need a UV light? I guess they get a lot of UV rays from everything else. I will definitely take her out in the sun daily, I do this with my bredli and he absolutely loves it!

Awesome! thanks for this advice. They don't need a UV light? I guess, they get a lot of UV rays from everything else. I will definitely take her out in the sun daily, I do this with my bredli and he absolutely loves it!

Well they do need their UV, but this breeder reasoned that taking them out in the sun reguarly was just as sufficient as having a light installed.

I would love to have an outdoor enclosure for my pythons! this sounds great. Will definitely invest in one as they get bigger.

Well they do need their UV, but this breeder reasoned that taking them out in the sun reguarly was just as sufficient as having a light installed.

I know they need UV light, I should of been more specific, I meant a UV globe :)
Okay, well while she's in the click clack i will use the natural sun as her main source of UV light. Once I get her in a vivarium I will definitely install a UV globe, as I may not have time to take her out side everyday due to my busy schedule. Thanks!

we normally turn the heat off at night except for the night we feed. e.g. if we feed her in the evening we just leave the heat on that night, and the next day, and then turn it off the following night.

Nice tip, thanks ! So you've been feeding on a regular basis throughout her life ?

yep, we got her at 7 months old, she's now about 2 years and 2 months, and feeds every 2 weeks (although last winter she brumated so no feeding there for a little while).

yep, we got her at 7 months old, she's now about 2 years and 2 months, and feeds every 2 weeks (although last winter she brumated so no feeding there for a little while).

Any chance of a pic ? Here's mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2522.jpg
    IMG_2522.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 43
congrats! diamonds are beautiful snakes, i have a girl who turned 2 in february. considering you've owned a bredli, you probably know all the basics. but keep her in a smaller container/click clack for the first few months - putting her straight in a big enclosure can spook them and lead to aggressive behaviour. have you got her UV and heat all ready for her? can't wait to see a pic when she arrives!

They are, aren't they! I have a click clack which I'll use for the first couple of months. My partner and I are making up a vivarium, its roughly 70x30x40cm,(heating and UV will be installed) is this too big after only 2-3 months in a click clack? I know Diamonds are arboreal, so I want some height for when she starts getting curious and active. what do you think? I don't have any UV and heating set up yet, as she will be in the click clack.

that viv should be great after a few months in the click clack. for the first week or so when you introduce her to the viv, maybe leave her click in the enclosure but with the lid off so she associates the viv as being her safe place.

you can put a heat mat under a click clack and it will be fine. she definately still needs heat even in a click clack. as for the UV, it is very important for them (so they dont get metabolic bone disease), but if you are happy to take her outside for 20+ minutes a day that should be fine.

Any chance of a pic ? Here's mine.

prettty! here's my little girl
2011-06-19 22.14.07.jpg

and then with my boyfriend holding her
heidi.jpg

Last edited:
that viv should be great after a few months in the click clack. for the first week or so when you introduce her to the viv, maybe leave her click in the enclosure but with the lid off so she associates the viv as being her safe place.

you can put a heat mat under a click clack and it will be fine. she definately still needs heat even in a click clack. as for the UV, it is very important for them (so they dont get metabolic bone disease), but if you are happy to take her outside for 20+ minutes a day that should be fine.

Okay, thanks! I have a heat mat in the click clack all ready to go, by 3 months in the click clack my viv should be all ready to go :) words can't describe at how excited I am!
Thanks for all your help. Your Diamond is beautiful btw!

no problems at all, hit me up if you have any other questions! I'm in no way an expert, just have experience from owning and my own research. Don't forget to post a pic when you get her!!

no problems at all, hit me up if you have any other questions! I'm in no way an expert, just have experience from owning and my own research. Don't forget to post a pic when you get her!!

I find Advice from experienced handlers very helpful, so thankyou!
I will and i'll keep you posted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back