Southern toadlet !!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richoman_3

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
me and vicherps went looking for these very beautiful hard to find frogs last night and were succesful in finding 3 :)
these guys are on a massive decline and arnt easy to track down, they have SPECTACULAR belly patterns

they are hard to get pics so this is all i got, enjoy

Southern Toadlet (Pseudophryne semimarmorata by Richoman_herps, on Flickr

im shattered a tiny bit of the toe isnt in this pic !! :/

ha ha cute little munchkins nice pics
are they poisonous?

Great photos and glad your hunt proved successful! Can just see a glimpse of some belly patterning on that last shot... pretty impressive from a glimpse.
Thanks for sharing with us! ;)

thanks all :)
yes they belly is truly spectacular, you can search it on google images :)

Very nice photo's!!

This reminds me of when i was whipper snippering part of dads lawn for him,he would go on the ride on mower and i would do bits of edging. The water tank sprang a leak so grass was growing fast and was mushy on one area,and as i had not done it in a while,it was long. So there i am shorts and singlet with the whipper snipper trying to keep an eye out for snakes. (In this part there is no pythons,most snakes you come across are deadly) All of a sudden movement in the grass!! Well,i near pooped myself i tell ya! Was a toad!! I dont know what sort,my heart was thumping madly haha. So i calm down to finish the job,and more movement 10mins later! Another one!

Very nice photo's!!

This reminds me of when i was whipper snippering part of dads lawn for him,he would go on the ride on mower and i would do bits of edging. The water tank sprang a leak so grass was growing fast and was mushy on one area,and as i had not done it in a while,it was long. So there i am shorts and singlet with the whipper snipper trying to keep an eye out for snakes. (In this part there is no pythons,most snakes you come across are deadly) All of a sudden movement in the grass!! Well,i near pooped myself i tell ya! Was a toad!! I dont know what sort,my heart was thumping madly haha. So i calm down to finish the job,and more movement 10mins later! Another one!

would of been an eastern banjo frog from where you are :)

Great pics Richo.

Are these guys being bred in captivity? How rare are these blokes?

Great pics Richo.

Are these guys being bred in captivity? How rare are these blokes?

cheers,
ive never heard of them in captivity, im pretty sure they are classed endangered. There numbers have decreased alot from past years

What a shame. Why is someone not breeding theses guys and making it possible for these guys to be readily available in captivity for years to come? *** is wrong with the system? Passionate people like yourself to have a breeding programn set in place to prevent the eventual decline of the wild population. Love your work Richo. Can anything be done your end?

they are on the dse advisory list as vulnerable as of 2007 (just within the state of victoria) but have been declining well before then they are declining throughout their range mainly due to drought, chytrid and habitat destruction. They have a unique toxin to the Pseudophryne genus known as pseudophrnamines which are produce by the frog or by symbiotic organisms within the frog unlike Poison Dart Frogs which would obtain their toxin from their diet. That being said they are not life threatening to humans.

What a shame. Why is someone not breeding theses guys and making it possible for these guys to be readily available in captivity for years to come? *** is wrong with the system? Passionate people like yourself to have a breeding programn set in place to prevent the eventual decline of the wild population. Love your work Richo. Can anything be done your end?
Jeffa they are obtainable here in Victoria under a advanced licence but I don't think the are a readily available nor a commonly kept species.

Last edited:

im sure if they declined more zoos and similiar things would start breeding programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back