Venomous snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

julespython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting some sort of front fanged snake but my question is how do I avoid dieing? Cos I know I'll get bitten at some stage. Stup
id question but I thought I'd better ask than find out the hard way

been thinking the same! i really want a RBB! a friend of mine has one and has had it since it was a hatchie and handles it like a python =S hes never been biten well thats what he said! seems really placid tho!

Someone I knew used to have 2 red bellie blacks, both were rescued from a house that de-fanged both of them. They are so placid and look in pretty good health otherwise.

Can you get ones with the venom taken out or something?

Mate you really dont wanna go there.... you may find yourself on the receiving end of some really nasty replies.

Someone I knew used to have 2 red bellie blacks, both were rescued from a house that de-fanged both of them. They are so placid and look in pretty good health otherwise.

De-fanging a snake does not render it harmless as the fangs will grow back.

So I guess it's really just a case of get to the hospital as quick as you can

I think not getting bitten in the first place would be a better choice.. you can do snake handling courses, I did one before I bought my first elapid and also started with colurbrids before getting into elapids.

You avoid being bitten by careful husbandry and care. Not allowing yourself to be in striking range works well for me lol

NO NO NO NO NO. It's a case of do some volunteering at a reptile park (like I did) or something similar and get heaps of experience around elapids and learn heaps from someone who knows their stuff and be absolutely ready when you buy one: locked cage, snakeproof room etc. You should NEVER buy a venomous snake with that attitude. You should never get complacent or get stupid around a venomous snake and then you should never get bitten. That should be your attitude. If you're bitten by an Eastern Brown and you don't have a reaction to the venom and you follow all of your protocols for survivin and you do survive, you may be looking at a lifetime of longterm effects. There is no excuse for a venomous bite.

Last edited:
I know there are no requirements for owning elapids in VIC apart from being 18 years old, but I think it would be wise on your behalf to do a venomous snake handling/info course (or two) to gain more confidence and knowledge.

Either that, or find someone who keeps elapids and is willing to teach you how to keep and care for them safely.

If you want a de-fanged RBBS, then stick to pythons...

Gee.... i dont think most of you should even consider getting any hot..!! animals...
1) learn How to handle and properly Head restrain an animal ( adders can be unforgiving if not headed right)
2)know your first aid and have bangages on the ready know what type of affects the venom has...
3) make sure you have a kit to take to hospital with all medical history and pint out all relevant venom effects to take with you etc
4)always have your phone with you when you are with the hot animals and it pays to have someone home at the same time.....
5) you do become complacent after a while, so its good to run through some first aid drills and protocols...

I agree with Gozz. Getting a hot is a serious decision, and doing it without having done all the groundwork (including getting some experience with them under experienced guidance) is risky at best. Knowing your own limitations (to misquote Clint) is also important. No point getting a snake you might be intimidated by when it reaches adult size. Also no point getting one if you believe you are going to get bitten. Only get one when you've learned the proper handling techniques and sussed out which snake is really best to start with (ie for you).

If you're bitten by an Eastern Brown and you don't have a reaction to the venom and you follow all of your protocols for survivin and you do survive, you may be looking at a lifetime of longterm effects.

CamdeJong, what would the long term effects of an envenomation from an Eastern Brown be? My apologies if there is a previous post covering this; I've done some quick searching, but can't find anything.

I've been thinking of getting some sort of front fanged snake but my question is how do I avoid dieing?
A requirement of a hot license is probably a first-aid certificate. If not it should be and you should have one anyhow. Any Oz first-aid course covers snake bite. Your snake room should also have "bite" posters and a "bite" kit. Enclosures should be designed so that the snake can be safely locked away ( either on one side of the enclosure or in a hide ) from a safe position
Cos I know I'll get bitten at some stage.

Stupid question but I thought I'd better ask than find out the hard way
Not a stupid question, though your next statements are

Can you get ones with the venom taken out or something?
Why? Aside from being illegal and cruel why don't you just keep a python. After all if you take the venom out of a cobra and what do you got? You got a... a belt.

Only if you intend to die.You really, really need to do a first-aid course. As a rule first-aid as a pressure bandage the get the ambulance to come to you First Aid Information: Snakebite (all land and sea snakes) | Australian Venom Research Unit

CamdeJong, what would the long term effects of an envenomation from an Eastern Brown be? My apologies if there is a previous post covering this; I've done some quick searching, but can't find anything.
Normal recovery is 100% but can be greatly inhibited by lack of first aid, the amount of alcohol and your IQ 1999 At-Risk Survivor: Nine Times a Loser

Anything from lack of bowel control to hot flushes and migraines, for many many years. A close family member was bitten and recieved no antivenom, spent a long time in hospital and a long time recovering. 15 years on he's almost back to normal (or at least can't remember if the effects are from snakebite or just plain getting old).

De-fanging a snake does not render it harmless as the fangs will grow back.

Sorry what I meant to put after that, is that it is cruel... I find it horrible. Also I didnt know they grew back, both have indentations in each side of their head, its horrible :/

As people above have said, why not get a python? If your that worried about getting bit by an Elapid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back