Bearded dragon light Failure!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Maniac

Reaction score
Hi all! Recently my heating globe has failed on me therefore my bearded dragons do not have any heating. I have given up with pet shop basking globes since this has happened numerous times in a matter of months. I have heard many people around here using bunnings flood lights as a heating alternative. I have choosen to buy some flood lights tomorrow from bunnings however I would like to know how the lights are attached to the tank, how expensive they are and what brand they are!

Thanks the APS community :),
James

Change brands and use the white ceramics heat lamp I had ghetto same problem with a certain brand of red heat globe.

Also check your running a powerboard that cuts out when overloaded

The thing is if I order something of the internet it will take its time to come! I need the heating ASAP!

For my dragons I use a 36watt halogen reflector globe from my local supermarket in a ceramic fitting that hangs of the roof of the enclosure. This is on a timer and runs 12hrs a day as a basking spot and I use a ceramic heat emitter that is always running and hooked up to a dimming thermostat to ensure sufficient temps. Unless you are using a dimming thermostat on your heat globes they just don't last. The constant cycling of an on and off thermostat just kill them.
Some people on here use 240v 50w halogen ceiling spots for basking lights, you can find these at Bunnings also. Check out some of the DIY threads.

just get the same style bulb you use in a bunnings brand,its phillips i think,most of the reptile brand ones are the same,so you pay 4 times more for the box because it has a reptile on it

Just go to woolies or bunnings and buy the spotlight screw in bulbs there cheap and last a long time

just get the same style bulb you use in a bunnings brand,its phillips i think,most of the reptile brand ones are the same,so you pay 4 times more for the box because it has a reptile on it

Hi Richardsc, l agree with you the reptile brand heat lamps are all the same, and you pay far more all because of the box having reptiles printed on it.

You know l have been using general electric and crompton clear reflector light bulbs for more than 20 years, these are the best light bulbs available on the market, they seem to last on average 2 to 3 months based on 10 hours of usage each day, l myself would not use cheaper brands such as phillips or osram they don't seem to last that long.

You can get these clear reflector light bulbs in small R63 or R64, 40 - 60 watts or large R80, 60 - 75 - 100 watts, and they are available in either edison screw ES and bayonet BC from most lighting retail shops or middendorp electrical shops.

Here you can see l have 3 x R64 clear reflector light bulbs in my large indoor enclosure, that l currently have 2 x 5 month old Central Bearded Dragon's housed in.

View attachment 250853View attachment 250854View attachment 250855

Last edited:
for my dragon i use a phillips globe from woolies 75w.
It does the job perfectly and u can get a 2 pack for 8 bucks or something.

Thanks everyone! What type of globe would be suitable for 4 month old central bearded dragons?

What type of reflector globe you use to provide heating to your 4 month old Bearded Dragon, depends on the size of your enclosure you keep it in, l would use a R63 or R64 small clear reflector globe 40 or 60 watts, and have it position 8 to 10 inches above the basking spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back