how much is too much? Government plans to monitor all web transmissions in Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Recharge

Web snooping plan a step closer to reality

big brother a step closer.

just how much do they need to know about us exactly?
why does every person in the entire country need to be monitored?

this is just crazy!

get this around, the more people know, the more stink can be kicked up!

Are you suggesting there's not already some monitoring going on?

Well, think of it this way - you can a) encrypt all your messages or b) don't talk about dodgy stuff :)

I always laughed at the whole monitoring of digital technology... And now we're so reliant on it...

The pen is mightier than the keyboard ;)

Prob is if you ask questions or disbelieve everything you are told then you must be a . . . . "conspiracy theorist".
Comments like "if you have nothing to hide. . . . ", "Look all they want I'm not doing anything wrong" or it's for the protection of (insert child, you and your family, national security or any other alarmist type description. Complacency runs rampant in todays society, the majority do not care until it directly effects them. Today big brother means a tv show, emapathy and compassion are words only and people are happy being told what to do and a loss of privacy. . . as long as they can keep face book.

Are you suggesting there's not already some monitoring going on?
not at all, but, it currently requires a warrant and might good cause, with this new rubbish, it's a whole different ball game.

not at all, but, it currently requires a warrant and might good cause, with this new rubbish, it's a whole different ball game.
Under the terrorist act (insert name that your country's Gov called it) warrents are no longer required most of your rights and civil liberties have been dismissed for "national security". I will be called a fear munger etc. . . but the people will believe what is most convenient. back in the late 80's there was an interesting tv show called you have no secrets it lightly touched on the surveillance by the Aus Gov back then. . . . imagine what it must be like now.

I have nothing to hide, if I wanna have a shag in my car, they can watch.

oh, they'll watch, and then arrest you for public indecency. you want to let them just have that kind of power, to potentially rule your life? for what gain? think of the children? national security? there's no NEED to have this level of invasion.
anything you do wrong under the law (do you know how wide a sweep of that brush in it's totality can be?) will lead back to you for prosecution at their discretion, and they'll have insane access to all kinds of evidence, I don't think you truly understand the scope of this and how much impact it could have in the long run.

i dont know about that , i can swing the keyboard a lot harder then i can a pen [ unless its a laser pen , then im screwed] :lol: :)

Haha, true, but a pen is small enough that it can be jammed between ribs, the muscles there are sensitive and a good jab will leave a person tender for a few weeks.

How can they monitor eveything that everyone's doing at once? I dont get how that works...

They don't, but they are trying to force ISPs to hold onto your browsing data (and other data) for 2 years.

In my view there is no point as it will achieve very little.

I'm already watched every second at work so why not outside of it? it just means we will all have to scratch our butts more often!

I see this is going nowhere fast.
To the OP, Buddha said teach those that seek (Jesus also said something similar, just the christians heard peach to everyone) Dont get upset at those that dont care, they are the Majority whether we like it or not. When I was a teen I lived in Melbourne in the late 80's and I remember the gov asked if people would object to camera's being put up along Swanston St and the Majority (dif mind set then) got upset and said NO!!!! we dont want or need them. 30 years later and people accept them as every day lives. If you are to say "but I dont like being watched" you are likely to hear "what do you have to hide" or something similar. We are told they are there for your safety and what a load of poop that turned out to be. . . children still get abducted, people still get robbed, assaulted, raped etc all in front of a camera, even cops blatantly abuse power in front of cameras (dont get upset check youtube. . for vids from there own car). How many get prevented. . well if you check the statistics little to none. And very few cases are solved, charged or convicted despite vid footage. Yet here it is. . . with big expense and little success in it's alleged role.
The gov has scary tales for the kiddies, we have the Boogie man lurking at every train station, airport and could even be your neighbor. The only way that you and your family will be safe is to go with what you are told and be good little boys and girls. Yes things are getting way out of control, look at what goes on in the states (our bigger bro that Oz aspires to grow up to be like) Even Sheriffs are threatening to arrest Fed agents for illegal search and seizures, the lists go on but underlining it all is a dictatorship. . . no sign of democracy.

We already have no freedom and you only have rights when it suits them...
So what the difference if they make it law or not? It already happening, Illegally! People that break the laws forced on us still will and people that don't won't end of story.

It's being proposed by the Gillard government. They won't get it in before the next election and then they'll be out anyway. Abbot could be revealed to be a cross dressing, drug taking sex offender and he'll still walk into power next year or sooner. If oakeshott and windsor weren't clinging to their jobs and hoping for a miracle we'd be at the polls already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back