Elapid shift boxes.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

I'm considering some shift boxes on my new Kingy enclosures as an added safety feature, for more usable space and to double as hides, perhaps one in the cool end and one up the warm end. As I've never used these previously, I was wondering what experience others have had with them (pros and cons) or if you use them at all?

Cheers,

Richard.

I'm considering some shift boxes on my new Kingy enclosures as an added safety feature, for more usable space and to double as hides, perhaps one in the cool end and one up the warm end. As I've never used these previously, I was wondering what experience others have had with them (pros and cons) or if you use them at all?

Cheers,

Richard.

Sounds good, Richard.

They'd probably work a treat with really filthy tempered jungles as well. ;):lol:

Now that's thinking outside the square, Kat:)!And Scrubbies, if you made them large enough!!

If you google "shift boxes" there's a few cracker examples; I cant see too many negatives.

I once saw in a thread on here someone had made collar boxes using Pvc pipe of differing diameter so the larger diameter just slid down over the opening.

i put a box with a sliding door into my small scaled snake a month ago as an experiment, after he twice threw silly teenager tantrums.
i have already decided to build a better one with a flip over door which he cant close himself and a clear side so i can see whether it needs cleaning within.
he likes it better than his old hide and drags rats back into it to eat in private which is a curious behaviour.
my broadies have hollowed out hebel bricks, which work in a similar fashion as i can lift snake and hide out, but they don't have a door to lock them in. saves stressing the little buggers by handling them.
i wouldnt bother with such a box for my other species.

Jack, that may be a curious behaviour in captivity but it's exactly what they do in the wild. Any prolonged exposure on the surface of the black-soil planes, especially with a mouthful of a rat can be risky business if there are raptors circling in the sky. They eat deep in the soil cracks. I suppose you know all that, so excuse me for ....... waffling.
It's interesting that your captive-bred Small-scales still have that instinct. Or is it something else?

If anything, not only are these boxes an ideal way to increase a keepers safety, as Jack mentioned they are a great stress reduction device for the snake. I dont use anything like this, but am now considering it. Great thread :D

Maybe contact Eipper. He said there was a company that makes them QLD. Surely wouldn't be too hard to get NSW.

i wouldnt bother with such a box for my other species.

That's the thing, Jack. Aside from feed times, I don't have any problems with my Kingies in terms of handling/husbandry (very RBB/Colletts-like) but they do get...big! As they've grown, however, they are alot less flighty.

I could see a need for some pseudonaja and Tais, but the added safety is always a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not use them myself but not for any particular reason, I have just never given them much thought either way.
I have had the odd high strung snake that in time with regular handling has settled down to be very quiet and I wonder if using shift boxes rather than handling as such could lead to that not happening. I am not saying it would or wouldn't, just asking those that have done it both ways if they have noticed differences in behavior and temperament.

Having a few adult vens in tubs & cages I use quadrant 5litre storage containers as hides/trap boxes. If the snake is in the hide I simply place a tile over the hole & lift the hide/trap container out & place it in another tub so I can do what needs to be done. In having a few I find this is quicker & safer. Have a couple of nutters so this way comes in handy. If they are not in their hide/trap box & they need cleaning either wait or simply hook them out into another tub (with a hide/trap box in it). I find if I have alot of cleaning to do & I use the hook to remove them I end up "playing" with them to much & time flys by. For adders I use the same quadrants but take the lid off, turn upside down, place a handle on the bottom & use that as you would a food cover. This won't work on my 1meter female sydney adder, she's a 2 hook job.

I love them, just makes cleaning times easier and safer, no need to find out if someone is in a crappy mood before removing them.
Just make sure you have a large enough entry to clean them out.

You could make some great ones out of black perspex, hmmm I shall look into that!

Thanks for the input, everyone, much appreciated:)!

That's interesting, Bax, something I have notice with the Kingies is that, as they get larger and more confident, they are much less inclined to use any of the hides I provide and seem to prefer to just lay out in the open for the most part, the exception being the day after a feed and while opaque/ in shed.

Liking the quadrant containers idea, Nigel, nice and simple and the black perspex ones sound pretty smick:)! Adding a small, clear panel would allow some visibility for the keeper, also.

Plastic drainage pipes complete with caps and a rotating sleeve inside could also be a goer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back