Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice little snake ,now man up ditch the glove ,get your first bite /or not and move on
good luck : )

I used them as demonstrator snakes for years
Never had a drama with trying to bite customers
Only thing I found I had to watch was a very strange 'chew bite' if I may call it that
Only ever happened if I handled any young snakes first
Waters would sniff around and open wide and start chewing where the youngster had been
Very unusual bite that I only saw a few times
Heard of it once with a carpet too and it happens with white lips up here occasionally

Apart from that lovely snakes that explode in colour and wow everyone

nice little snake ,now man up ditch the glove ,get your first bite /or not and move on
good luck : )

Got to agree. Their teeth are so small at this stage they probably won't even brake the skin. Is better to get your first bite when they're this big and not when they're two meters.

I only use the one glove to get him out because I can't drive the hook properly yet and anything that drops below the rim of that click clack is fair game to him! I never seen him yesterday due to the cold I'm guessing so I left him alone. I want to get some more time in before he feeds again but won't push the issue.

Thanks again everyone.

Another big thank you to Brad. Cheers for that I thought that might be the case.

More pics minus glove before the weekend is out I promise :D

hey mate, how do they handle overall. it wouldnt be my first snake(it wil be my 6th) but ive always wanted a water python

The general consensus of owners that I've talked to, which I would have to agree with so far is: A little cage defensive, particularly when young but fine when out. There can always be the odd demonic exception though as with any breed.

Last edited:
Nice snake, I used to love my waters.

Not sure where the aggressive myth came from? We would catch dozens a night up in Darwin (they quickly became incredibly boring to see, lol) and the majority of them were fairly calm.. Most would crap all over you, but bits weren't very common.

Smaller Olives on the other hand, seemed to be rather demonic in the wild as a general rule.

IMG_0392.jpgIMG_0397.jpg

As promised, no better ones yet. Handled so well tonight though, deserves a small rodenty treat I think hehe.

Congratulations on a great choice of snake :) Have fun!

Thanks Sdaji & everyone else. I'm impressed to say the least! I'll post some better pics up as he grows. Planing an enclosure build soon to.

A few recent pics I found, my partner is getting a new camera soon so will be getting better quality ones when we figure out how to use it :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 111
Thank you for sharing info on your new friend.
I was looking at getting a water python as my first snake, but I was put of by the “it’s not a good first snake” thing. But I still like them, especially their iridescent colors. So I follow your thread with interest.
Especially his habits, what he likes and dislikes, etc. as I found out that snakes are not these mindless, attractive, eating and sleeping animals that I first thought. Mine definitely isn’t mindless, he’s got a personality, with likes, dislikes and interests. I’d go so far as to say he’s a little charmer. He is a black Headed Python btw and still young.
So please more posts about him. I follow it with interest.

Last edited:
Thanks Sherlock, I'll put up a bit more progress with more information as I go I've just been a bit consumed with work and making sure my husbandry is satisfactory to do much else at the moment.

I can say however I was also put off by the 'general consensus' but if there is one thing I've learnt, it's perhaps better to talk to breeders and owners personally, even if over the internet, than just trolling threads because at best, I usually just ended up with conflicting information. Not to say that is not useful, it's still helped to form my own opinions which is important. Even joining a reptile club if there is one locally available to you was worth every cent in my opinion. More than one person has asked me "Why on earth did you get a water python for your first snake" Yet only one of those actually owned any and they were legally obtained from the wild so actually had reason behind it.

Now, getting that out, I can also agree that they definitely have alot of character. Mine also seems to acknowledge different people, only really being comfortable with me so far which is something I'm hoping to get him out of. The fuscus seems very nocturnal also, yesterday being the first time I had him out for a roam around the grass in the sun during the afternoon and contrary to popular opinion, he waited untill AFTER he was back in and defecated all over the spanish moss (read: hardest thing to clean). He didn't really seem to appreciate the sunlight so much, just using it for a short term cheap heater then seeking shelter, I contribute this to him being so young (5-6months now) and me living in somewhat of a bird sanctuary.

Water Pythons and water - While far from necessary he does seem to really appreciate an abundance of it, provided it's warm. His last shed (which was his first with me) left a few small bits behind but was still a perfectly fine slough and I contribute this to not having a good warm water source for him to immerse in. Humidity is usually minimum 50% and seems fine.

I have never been able to find alot of keeping information relative to the water python and I still think it's only because of the bad rap they get. Mine has been awesome and while taken a few strikes has never bit me. A few times when I initially got him he left a few holes in the glove I was using to handle him when necessary. After we were both ready the glove came off and we've been fine ever since... so far.

I love the BHP's I had a good look at these when making my choice. To be honest the bit of 'underdog' presence of the water python sort of sold me. The few people on here that breed them do a great job and have nothing but praise for them ;)

Last edited:
It's been a long time since an update, I've had trouble getting new digi slr pics sized down enough to fit on here but will sort it out one day. In the meantime here are a few lower quality pics to show progress:
phpZNBlJPAM.jpgphpu8pl1EAM.jpgphp4qSpMaAM.jpgphpdumVCyAM.jpgphpCDDNoFAM.jpg

He has been an absolute gem as a first snake so far, getting feistier as the weather gets warmer though :D

& for those that care: He shed on the 20th and weighed 157grams, not eaten since 2/9. The photo was taken 21st. The food item pictured was a weaner mouse (1 of 2). I want to move to fuzzy rats but can't believe the difference between pinky and fuzzy rats at the local pet shop, might go with adult mice & try alternating. I also feed him quail, he loves quail!

Last edited:
just another odd pic I found from a week or two ago.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 145
Wow he's gorgeous. Shows how much they grow! Hope to get my first snake (a woma) next year!
You have just made me more eager.....
Thanks for sharing the pics!

He is coming along well mate. Absolute stunner of a snake

You know, that is a really, really nice snake! What's his name? Are male water pythons smaller than females? We are casually looking at one (very casually) at the moment.. says it is about 2yrs old and 4ft, not sure of sex. I used to adore Olive pythons until I met a few :shock: and am a tiny bit worried from what I have heard that a water might be a bit too similar in personality (ie: a mobile stapler). The one we are interested in is said to be very calm and has never bitten etc etc but I would like to hear more "Oh he's a darling, never bites" than "omg he's eating me alive!!!" from people who have experience with them. So far this thread has been reasonably encouraging but I would love to hear more.

- - - Updated - - -

Fourexes.. just to let you know, prior to yesterday I had no intention of getting a Water Python. Spent a bit of time looking at this thread, oogling at your beautiful boy.. did some research.. guess who's getting a water python on Wednesday. You.. are a bad influence LOLOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back