Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's a lot of urban myth out there about this sort of thing, pythons usually kill only what they want to eat.

Im sure there are alot of myths on this topic.....like the 'my snake was sizing me up to eat me' craze. BUT, like that couple overseas, who are now in jail (where i think they belong) who had that massive snake which hadnt eaten for a year in a tank with a blanket draped over the top as a lid.......which of course led to the loss of their 2y.o after the snake strangled her, it CAN happen. The point is though, people like that probably shouldnt own snakes let alone breed children, you coming on here asking a question about the risks shows that you are not that sort of person, you obviously have common sense, & as i said above, that is really all it takes to keep everyone safe, including your pet!!

I concur with most of the comments made. What is apparent is that you know very little about snake keeping and even less about the system in WA.

Blotched Pythons are not on the keeping list here. A link to a PDF copy of the Approved Keeping List (2003) can be located on the following page of the DEC web site – “Reptiles as Pets”
Reptiles as pets - Department of Environment and Conservation

You are on the right track in wanting to buy an appropriate book. The minimum would be John Weigel’s “Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity” published by the Reptile Keepers Association
[$20]. An excellent book is “Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons”, edited by Mike Swan and published by Mike Swan Herp Books. [$50]. Should you decide on a carpet, then you would do well to purchase a copy of “The Complete Carpet Python” by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander, Rodeo: ECO Publishing, 2011. [$80]. There is an excellent set of articles by Simon Stone PhD (aka Doc Rock), a highly respected breeder in SA who runs Southern Cross Reptiles, on the company website: Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

Have a look at the West Australian Herpetological Society (WAHS) website and think about maybe joining. You can talk to experienced successful keepers face to face and avoid many of the issues and difficulties beginning keepers can face. A good investment for $30 per year.

Blue

Blue if you added in the relevant herp societies and licencing info from other states your post should be sticky'd somewhere on this site. Short, succinct but thorough and direct - exactly the information any new person is looking for.

Back to the original thread, just don't leave it out unsupervised. As long as you're responsible and depending on where you live your baby is probably at more risk from a wild snake potentially coming inside (which also most likely won't ever happen). You'll be fine.

yolz
I tried to send you a PM but having problems PM me your email address. I live in perth and will happily help you

Get the Stimson's Noodles is the best! What ever you get as long as you teach your kids how to handle them with soft fingers. Just make sure you handle them often, with us it's just a matter of who's helping out while mum cleans out the tanks and if they've been handled heaps when they're younger they know the routine...
Have fun and even if any of the snakes did get out they're more likely to curl up on you and watch TV lol...
Happy herping...

Attachments

• DSCF2618.jpg
    DSCF2618.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF2085.jpg
    DSCF2085.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF2074.jpg
    DSCF2074.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF2354.jpg
    DSCF2354.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF2356.jpg
    DSCF2356.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 17082.jpg
    17082.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 17093.jpg
    17093.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 95
What about a children python's there good
I have 2 a male and a female
And there even elcho island so there yummy

couldn't have said it better myself
Yes it can happen.......
And your little one could be hit by a meteorite..... the cat might sit on its face and smother it...... the dogs leash might get caught around his/her nack and strangled...... :rolleyes: pfft....

Just make your enclosure escape proof for the snake and child proof for the bub(& vice versa)..... and enjoy your snake ;)

Oh, and tell your friend he is a wowser worry wart nincompoop.

Common sense is always the way to go.there is no reason why you couldnt safely keep a pet snake with kids around.

thank you very much for the help everyone :) awesome info! really appreciate it :) will check out those books mentioned by blue :)

I think the biggest risk of having reptiles when you have children under 5yo is salmonella. While the most common cases of salmonella infections are caused by contaminated food, these germs can also be caught by handling animals, including reptiles. Young children, pregnant women and those with weakened immune systems are more likely to develop severe illness it where the germ may spread from the intestines to the bloodstream and then to other body sites and can cause death unless the person is treated promptly with antibiotics. Young children are at increased risk for Salmonella infection because their immune systems are still developing and because they are more likely than others to put their fingers or other items into their mouths.

However, with good hygiene practice you should not be too worried about it (unless your children have weaker-than-normal immunity system). My two youngest ones are 4 and 2yo and I have been keeping turtles, bearded dragon and recently pythons as well and never have any problems. Just make sure they wash their hands thoroughly after handling the animals and not put their fingers in their mouth while handling (this is easier in theory than in practice!)

We're expecting soon and so many people have asked will we be getting rid of the snakes... People have some really strange ideas about pet pythons. If one was to escape it would seek out a dark warm spot somewhere. Not go looking for babies to strangel. I tell people that having a cat around a baby is far more dangerous and they dont believe me...
Sleeping cat suffocates baby - Telegraph

@thundermamma wow that's scary, will keep that in mind :)

@skeptic, I couldn't open your links mate :?

There is more chance of the child harming the snake than vica versa.
My kids grew up with an array of snakes in the home including some rather big fellas and have grown up with a great appreciation and respect of all animals.

my 8.5 month old goddaughter loves my coastal. i wouldnt let her near my spotted because he was a demon snake and i didnt trust him one bit but alix loves patches and cracks up when shes crawling all over her arms

I think the biggest risk of having reptiles when you have children under 5yo is salmonella. While the most common cases of salmonella infections are caused by contaminated food, these germs can also be caught by handling animals, including reptiles. Young children, pregnant women and those with weakened immune systems are more likely to develop severe illness it where the germ may spread from the intestines to the bloodstream and then to other body sites and can cause death unless the person is treated promptly with antibiotics. Young children are at increased risk for Salmonella infection because their immune systems are still developing and because they are more likely than others to put their fingers or other items into their mouths.

However, with good hygiene practice you should not be too worried about it (unless your children have weaker-than-normal immunity system). My two youngest ones are 4 and 2yo and I have been keeping turtles, bearded dragon and recently pythons as well and never have any problems. Just make sure they wash their hands thoroughly after handling the animals and not put their fingers in their mouth while handling (this is easier in theory than in practice!)

Thats so true TM...... ie, dont let your young'uns bite the python :shock::lol:

On the bacteria front..... I reckon kids bought up with dogs, cats, reptiles in thier lives devellop better immune systems (unless they are allergic or have weak immune systems). In other words, the germs the littlies interact with will strengthen thier immune system....... imagine a child who has never patted a dog or cat.... reptile..... horse. Never dug in the garden (where the cat has done his business) etc.... then they come in contact with an animal...... very little immunity.
If they have had cats, dogs, horses, rats, reptiles.... thier immune system will go thru the bugs like a D9 bulldozer :lol:

IE: The more pets and animals (but still using good hygene) the kids are exposed to in thier life.... the more they will be able to handle as they get older..... all just my untrained opinion ;)

You know the old saying.... what dont kill you...... makes you stronger :lol:

Don't listen to your frend snake are great.
201649_2.png

And the one your geting is a small snake so don't wory:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back