My WOMAS SICK

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterducks7889

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone originally had a few problems with my woma as though he had ticks used the mite spray for the past 2 weeks or soo seems better to some extent although he acts very lathargic and he keeps opening his mouth but really slowly as if its causing him trouble to do so im thinking something is seriously wrong and i don't really have the available money at present to get him to the vet until at least next wednesday.
Dont really know what to do but it appears he is quite sick very limp like when u pick him up and stuff and still has spots on him

Is there any chance of some photos? If it's limp then it's probably at the point where it does need a vet, but if you can't then you can't. At least some photos might help some folks here give you advice or solutions that might help it hold out long enough for the vet.

i actually dont have a camera im sorry all i can say is that i thought he had mites he had white and dark things under his skin where the things were in one spot his skin actually came off a bit and he is very limp and only today i have noticed that he is opening his mouth a bit he doesn't seem to have teeth yet soo yeah?

what spray have u been using?

did ur snake actually HAVE mites, or did u not bother checking properly?
(did u put him in a white bag to see if the mites come off? remove one and squash it to see blood? check his water bowl for dead mites? anything? )

did u really spray a poison onto broken/damaged skin?

what do u mean he doesnt have teeth yet?

ur snake really needs a vet, give ur vet a call and see if u can arrange a payment plan.

i actually dont have a camera im sorry all i can say is that i thought he had mites he had white and dark things under his skin where the things were in one spot his skin actually came off a bit and he is very limp and only today i have noticed that he is opening his mouth a bit he doesn't seem to have teeth yet soo yeah?

Well I haven't had experience with ill snakes or mites/ticks so I wouldn't be willing to guess at anything. White and dark things would suggest mites if they're small but the skin coming off sounds a lot more serious. You might still have a mite problem if you weren't VERY thorough with your treatment as well. There's a lot of threads about it if you do a search. Also, he should definitely have teeth. Not always easy to see just by watching them open their mouths though. How old is your woma?

Mouth opening could be the last throes before death, it could be advanced respiratory infection, it could be advanced mothrot (stomatitis). It all sounds very serious, and I'm betting your Woma won't live for another week, if that's how long before you can get it to a vet. None of these things happen overnight, so the chances of a recovery are slim if the infection/s are entrenched.

I'd do some serious research on reptile husbandry before you get another snake to replace this one.

Snakes have teeth from before they even hatch... :(

Jamie

Talk to the vet, see if payment cant be made on wednesday. If he's very ill the will keep him in and they cant ask for payment till the end of his stay anyway.

Rereading the OP, he says he used mite spray for "the past two weeks..." - did you just use it twice in that period, or more often? More often and you may well have poisoned your snake, which could explain the gaping and lethargy.

Jamie

any trouble with any snakes weather it be mites ticks or lethargicness shuld have been taken to the vet on first signs of an illness,my guess you poisond you woma with mite spray? hope he gets well mate there gawjuss critters

Does mite spray do ticks? Seems like in the OP the snake just had ticks and he thought it had mites in the previous thread?

Yeas nt, they do both - usually pyrethrum based insecticides. But I don't think this member has a clue...

Jamie

i used the one u just mentioned yeah and maybe i did by accident you make it sound as if it was deliberate i asked the petstores who also had snakes and that is not what they reccommended unfortunately not everyone on here is as knowledgable about pythons jamie.
I will take him to the vet tommorow and see what they say if he was oversprayed yes i should have researched more but all i was trying to do was get rid of the things on him which seemed to be making him uncomfortable

what roughly will i be looking at the vet for money?

ummm actually was meaning a rough price if indeed i did actually manage to poison him?

My mrs is telling me to give him away to someone else that can take care of him cuz she dont want me spending that much money although i dont mind soo i dunno what to do im gonna find out tommorow how much it will be.

Don't listen to your Mrs.
Would she give away a puppy or kitten that she owned if it was sick just coz she doesn't want to spend money?
These things happen man just bite the bullet and be a responsible reptile owner and get it to the vet. You might have to eat 2 min noodles for a week or 2 but all will be fine in the long run and you will have peace of mind.

If you're not willing to pay vet bills you shouldn't buy an animal as many will need vet care at some point in its life. The best thing you can do is take it to a vet and explain your situation. They should let you work out something. You might not like all the options they give you but the poor animal is suffering and that needs to be alleviated immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back