Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn't get a ABN for a python breeding business, that just makes things complicated.
You would get a ABN for say website developer or some sort of home business.

So, as a personal trainer he will get ABN and write off rats, mice and F10 .... right.

The impression I get is that breeding reptiles just about covers the costs of doing so, or maybe allows for a very small profit, but would by no means be enough to live off unless you were particularly successful and established - is that about right?

I personally believe that if you have 3 GTPs....2 females and a male and they "were" (Key word) to breed successful and you "were" able to sell the "successfully" hatched babies then you would be better off...anyone that turns around and says otherwise is kidding themselves. A baby GTP sells for $1500, $1000 at the cheapest. If you were getting 20 babies a year off a breeding trio I can guarantee that you won't be spending $30,000 a year on electricity, food and housing for them. So if you do it right and successfully then yes you will make a nice little pocket of cash. Plus you don't have to declare it as an income (as it comes under hobby) until you earn over $75,000 a year! Do it right, keep your collection small and unique and there will be $$$. Breed normal breeds like carpets, childrens, stimsons, woma's etc etc prob not so much!

Don't forget carpondro's, i'll buy one of you once you get the mix right and they look cool, which will probably take about 12years minimum lots of time and money, and euthanasia of ugly snakes that you can't sell if you start from scratch!

I personally believe that if you have 3 GTPs....2 females and a male and they "were" (Key word) to breed successful and you "were" able to sell the "successfully" hatched babies then you would be better off...anyone that turns around and says otherwise is kidding themselves. A baby GTP sells for $1500, $1000 at the cheapest. If you were getting 20 babies a year off a breeding trio I can guarantee that you won't be spending $30,000 a year on electricity, food and housing for them. So if you do it right and successfully then yes you will make a nice little pocket of cash. Plus you don't have to declare it as an income (as it comes under hobby) until you earn over $75,000 a year! Do it right, keep your collection small and unique and there will be $$$. Breed normal breeds like carpets, childrens, stimsons, woma's etc etc prob not so much!

If you are getting 20 babies a year from one trio you are doing very well, so many things can go wrong. Plus you can bet your bottom dollar average GTP's wont be fetching anywhere near 1k in 3 yrs time.

If you are getting 20 babies a year from one trio you are doing very well, so many things can go wrong. Plus you can bet your bottom dollar average GTP's wont be fetching anywhere near 1k in 3 yrs time.

I personally hope not :p So THEN I CAN BUY ONE WOOOOOOOOOO.

Yeah realise that, key words tho, if you were lucky. The usually lay between 8-15 (correct me if I am wrong) so working out a average stats (plus seeing what alot of people post about their successful GTP lays) then it would be possible!

Doh! that's what I have....

Me too :( But I am not in it for the money lol. If my Stimson's ever breed (still about 1 year too young too) then I can sell the babies for a normal price and buy more reptile stuff :p

Doh! that's what I have....

maybe invest into some albino olives, and you could get a choc sunday with that cheese burger red lol! all i got are jungles and i just wana produce some more nice ones for myself!

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how much one would pay for an adult, unrelated trio?

Last edited:
Also a great way to negative gear on a property you own & live in.

and then you get slugged with capital gains tax when you sell, the govt makes sure they get it back,...double!!!

better off breeding feeder rats than snakes if u wanna make some $,....

my advice is this.

I HAD a big collection. of all different breed. I now have not very much - i make more from what i do have simply due to elec costs, feed costs etc. And i get more time to spend with the snakes i actually do have :D

is there any qualifications needed if u wanted to work in a breeding facility like snake ranch or SXR?
Same as any job, you could apply regardless but the person with the highest level of education/experience/qualifications would get it.

You're dreaming, I don't follow the snake market but I've known of a lot of greens going for $500-600 as hatchlings, as JP2 mentioned it will keep getting lower with time.

Just out of curiosity, how much one pay for an adult, unrelated trio?

albino olives? not sure exactly, but i saw on a another thread talk of a pair for $110,000?, can't seem to find any for sale but im sure there less than that!

Last edited:
Same as any job, you could apply regardless but the person with the highest level of education/experience/qualifications would get it.

You're dreaming, I don't follow the snake market but I've known of a lot of greens going for $500-600 as hatchlings, as JP2 mentioned it will keep getting lower with time.

Can you please send me links to these GTP that regulary go for $500 a python. Not being a smart a$#, I would like to buy one. Check the last 30 GTP Selling posts on this website (I know there are other websites out there I have checked) and show me a $500 GTP. I've seen one on this site and the ad was edited after 2 hours saying it was sold. Please send me the links when you see GTP regulary advertised for only $500!

That's one way to approach it but you better buy 5 or 6 hatchlings in hope you end up with a trio.

yep then sell the ones that dont as a mature snake ready for breeding :p

Last edited:
Its a bit like dry fly fishing
Basically you have to match the hatch
In other words you need to guess in advance what will sell for top dollar in 5 years time

Slatey greys are virtually ignored as pets yet are fantastic looking snakes that fetch reasonable money
and are simple to look after
Golden trees are simply awesome but a bit trickier

Common types like normal coastals childrens etc etc are not easy to make money from
but top quality snakes will always give you an earn

It is all economies of scale
10 years ago gtps were 10,000 each so you only needed one good pair to do ok
Now you need 10 females for a nearly similar return [running costs are higher for more]

Colour morphs would have to the trickiest market
A sudden glut and the prices plummet by huge percentages
But if you luck out and get a new morph you make plenty for about 3 to 5 years

OT/ Follow one on a related thread elsewhere (downsizing)

Space?? Where do people find that much space to have enough breeding animals to make a living out of it. Everything in racks?

OT/ Follow one on a related thread elsewhere (downsizing)

Space?? Where do people find that much space to have enough breeding animals to make a living out of it. Everything in racks?

Yeah I have been to a couple of places and they have built stands that house about 10 different reptile tanks in a stand thats 2.5m wide by 2.0m high (rough estimate who knows) and there are snakes in each (some couples obviously for breeding purposes. Each to their own. If you own 20 snakes you can't have beautiful spaced out tanks for each. Thats why I am going to limit myself to 8 snakes max!!! Maybe 10 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back