Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have worked out that it costs me $500 per pair of snakes per year this does not include start up costs or putting a $$$ value on my time. But you can make money on snakes if you couldn't a person wouldn't of paid over 100k for marble children's python project would they? I would say don't buy the new morph just released because they are over priced, alot of people are buying them and when they are ready to breed so is everyone else's. I would find one breed of snake you like and then look for a pair that is a little different pattern, colour ect. Breed that one pair because you only have two snakes you can keep back alot of the babies to try and breed that trait. Then you will have something that no one else has. It will take 3 to 4 generation tho

Last edited:
Same as any job, you could apply regardless but the person with the highest level of education/experience/qualifications would get it.

You're dreaming, I don't follow the snake market but I've known of a lot of greens going for $500-600 as hatchlings, as JP2 mentioned it will keep getting lower with time.

Not quite the $500 I was hoping for. But this is one of the cheapest ones I have seen!
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/sale-snakes-43/young-gtp-4-sale-188526/

I'd pay $5k for a chameleon...

I guess one of the rare upsides of no python imports into WA is I can still sell carpets for $550. I saw a pair of woma's go for $2k the other day. People here are still paying silly money sometimes for woma's and BHP's

is there any qualifications needed if u wanted to work in a breeding facility like snake ranch or SXR?

I personally believe that if you have 3 GTPs....2 females and a male and they "were" (Key word) to breed successful and you "were" able to sell the "successfully" hatched babies then you would be better off...anyone that turns around and says otherwise is kidding themselves. A baby GTP sells for $1500, $1000 at the cheapest. If you were getting 20 babies a year off a breeding trio I can guarantee that you won't be spending $30,000 a year on electricity, food and housing for them. So if you do it right and successfully then yes you will make a nice little pocket of cash. Plus you don't have to declare it as an income (as it comes under hobby) until you earn over $75,000 a year! Do it right, keep your collection small and unique and there will be $$$. Breed normal breeds like carpets, childrens, stimsons, woma's etc etc prob not so much!

Can you please send me links to these GTP that regulary go for $500 a python. Not being a smart a$#, I would like to buy one. Check the last 30 GTP Selling posts on this website (I know there are other websites out there I have checked) and show me a $500 GTP. I've seen one on this site and the ad was edited after 2 hours saying it was sold. Please send me the links when you see GTP regulary advertised for only $500!

yep then sell the ones that dont as a mature snake ready for breeding :p

As I said I don't follow the snake market, I should have been more specific. I have three different mates that have all purchased GTP's for $500-600.

'Investment Grade Reptiles'...gone are the days. Thank God!
Do it for the enjoyment of hobby because you will not get rich breeding snakes for all the reasons spelt out above.

There could be a demand for brown tree snakes in WA soon. Mainly night tigers. That's if it gets added to the list.

Absolutly thers money In breeding snakes though not just your common pythons you would need to breed say something like pardox albino darwins GTP something like that It is very exspensive to set up though high end snakes cost thousands each even as hatchies you may call these snake breeders and find out the requirments they need for an employee would be good exsperience for you

Gtp are coming down in price quickly it's expensive to buy adults if you do get hatchlings you can't sex until 12months old and by the time they breed the will be worth under $500 ea as for paradox darwins the don't throw paradoxes every clutch and numbers are low even when they do. Buying two paradox albino hatchlings and breeding them together doesn't mean they will produce paradox hatchlings. Also they are a new morph not understood, over priced, people who already breed them can't get rid of them and are only selling females. You should get a good high paying job and have snakes as a hobby and if you do want to breed have 1 or 2 projects so you can keep back most of the young to breed back and have fun!!! Breeding reptiles is not a get rich quick idea many have tried and all have failed

Effectively, you're gambling by investing in an asett that depreciates exponentially on the possibility of you making enough profit to keep up with the deflation. Could you do it? sure, though as much as I respect people who go into the commercial breeding business, I'm sure they do it for some other reason than the money. If you have the money to drop on a breeding trio of the hot new morph, I'd suspect it would be far more profitable to put a down payment on a rental property. If you don't have the money to drop on a breeding trio of the hot new morph, you're in for a long, painful road ahead of you.

If they opened Australia up to the world market we could all make a good living from it.

'Investment Grade Reptiles'...gone are the days. Thank God!
Do it for the enjoyment of hobby because you will not get rich breeding snakes for all the reasons spelt out above.
Not quite, next up... oenpelli.

Not quite, next up... oenpelli.

Ahh yes Jordo you may well be right!
BUT the majority of people that think its an easy bet making a living out of reps will not have the cash or the balls to enter into that exercise but instead will sit and complain about the price!

Yes because it's going to be a huge market for oenpelli pythons.... Jumping the gun I think, havent been caught or breed yet plus how many people can house a scrubby? Not many they will be in the same boat.

Yeah I have been to a couple of places and they have built stands that house about 10 different reptile tanks in a stand thats 2.5m wide by 2.0m high (rough estimate who knows) and there are snakes in each (some couples obviously for breeding purposes. Each to their own. If you own 20 snakes you can't have beautiful spaced out tanks for each. Thats why I am going to limit myself to 8 snakes max!!! Maybe 10 :p
of course you can have more than 20 snakes and house them properly , you just need to make sure you have the right amount of space for the amount of reptiles you want to keep , no good keeping them in tubs , is to hard to admire their beauty

of course you can have more than 20 snakes and house them properly , you just need to make sure you have the right amount of space for the amount of reptiles you want to keep , no good keeping them in tubs , is to hard to admire their beauty

yep it can be done! Darring has some of the most spectacular snakes ive ever seen and they are all in their own enclosures...

Ahh yes Jordo you may well be right!
BUT the majority of people that think its an easy bet making a living out of reps will not have the cash or the balls to enter into that exercise but instead will sit and complain about the price!

Hahahaha, so true!!

You've gotta find something rare that there is a market for like GTPs but everyone has the same idea four years ago they were nearly ten g's and nowadays I know a bloke that brought one for $600. Work ya full time job and do it on the side Side it stays a hobby and a passion and doesn't become a 'job'

You've gotta find something rare that there is a market for like GTPs but everyone has the same idea four years ago they were nearly ten g's and nowadays I know a bloke that brought one for $600. Work ya full time job and do it on the side Side it stays a hobby and a passion and doesn't become a 'job'

Get me one for $600....PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back