Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfluffy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
hi all im looking for peoples thoughts on stimsons ,
my 9year old son has been asking for a very long
time to own a python , my concerns which are many ,
is he to young , is the stimson the right choice ,
also he only lives with me 4 days a week would that be
enough contact time with the snake to make for a happy
union

I don't think it's too young if he's supervised when he's got it out. I think they're great for teaching a bit of responsibility since they can handle a missed feed while he is still learning.
4 days a week is plenty. They don't need/shouldn't be held every single day anyway.
Keep in mind I'm not a parent so these are just my thoughts as an "outsider"

A stimmie sounds perfect. And if a nine year old has been asking for a long time, I think it's a genuine interest.

That judgement is entirely up to you. The license will have to be in your name cause he is too young for that. But I suppose the ultimate question is are you willing to look after it if the novelty wears off with your son?

9 years old is not too young, although obviously you couldn't expect him to take full responsibility for the husbandry of the animal, so you would need to have a big input, but that is what being a parent is all about. :)

Any Antaresia would be a good first choice, and 4 days a week would be fine, so long as you understand that you would be required to take an interest (clean poop, check water, etc.) in the off-time.

JMO

I reckon thatll be sweet mate aslong as u are fine with snakes yourself and i dont mean fine with them in there inclosure but fine with holding them urself just so i u have to u can do it properly and not harm urself or the snake. Also stimmys are fine they pretty small and pretty good temperd from wat ive herd (i dnt own one).

Fine my 5 year old daughter held a mates albino darwin hatchie and my childreni she keep asking for more, but so do I lol

as others have said , if your fine with taking on alot of the husbandry things involved with it like keeping correct temps getting a nice escape proof enclosure etc then id say its fine with my limited experience , although as others have said dont let him handle it himself without someone around for a while , maybe get a locking enclosure for that aspect i remember what i was like as a kid and the time he is gone wont matter you could even feed the snake on the days that your son leaves that way the snake has time to let its food digest without your son wanting to hold it and good luck and do plenty of research on the husbandry of the species you pick before you get him

at 9 theres only so much you can expect him to understand with out some help , best that you do some researching with him imo

make him prove to you he knows alot about them , make him do his research, etc . my parents did\do this to me :)

The kid is 9yrs old!!! To purchase a snake for a 9yr old child is ridiculous. To purchase a snake for YOU and your 9yr old child is great. A child of that age cannot be expected to maintain a reptile alone. If you can guide your child in the right direction, RE. cleaning cages, changing water, feeding, handling, etc and teach them the "right" way to keep reps, he/she will have a greater understanding in the future and a greater respect. Hope this makes sense:D

I think it is actually a perfect pet. If your 9 year old is only with you 4 days per week then all husbandry should be able to be done in this time with a little bit of help from you inbetween time.

I think rather than worryingabout the snake and your son bonding....maybe it is another way you can help to keep that conection with your son as it will be something you do together.

If you make the feed day the last day he is with you, your son can handle the snake for the 3 days prior, and also clean the poop up himself every week :) the other 3 days of peace would be appreciated by the stimi I am sure!

My nearly 12yo daughter wants a snake,but not just any,she wants a friends snake lol. I am still currently in the process of trying to obtain the snake from him,and i believe i will succeed. She will have him (snake) set up herself and take care of him (with me supervising). Once she is of an age where she can obtain her own license to keep snakes,i will then transfer the snake into her name.

My kids have been around my collection since they where toddlers - now currently 6 and 8.
They are a great help at hatchie time, helping clean and water them. It's great parent, kid and reptile time.
I really enjoy that my kids are as passionate about reptiles as i am. Shame about the wife though. Can't win em all :)

9 is defineatly not to young especially if you supervise. Every kid should enjoy herps.

At nine our daughter saw a ---sorry ---corn snake at a display by customs and asked if she could have one -- I said yes as long as she read the python book and learn how and what to do .6 years later she has 2 snakes my wife 1 and we have a few beardies ,so with the right incentives and guidance you will be fine

I'm 12 years old and the licence is under my dads name but I take full care of my woma python , cleaning, poop scooping, water ect ect the only thing I don't do is buy the rats. Its pretty expensive for a bag of vermin (rats) so be prepared! :)

Thanks everyone for your thought and in sight,
I'm making this a research project for him ,and he
has been made very aware how serious owning this
animal will be, as the handle my main concern is it
important for the snake to form a bond with one
person at the start of being in a new home,
I'm in the process of setting up a large tropical fish tank
and one of the sales person that iv been talking
to has a Stimson and cage for sale,
he's asking $500 for the lot, does this sound
like a fair price

mr fluffy snakes dont need to bond with any one there perfectly fine left to their own devices , in fact at the start of the snake being in a new home you should leave it alone for a week or 2 to settle in to its new surroundings , this means no bonding until he is well and truly settled

If you are confident that your son understands all the requirements needed and you are confident that it's neither a passing phase or a "play mum off against dad" separation scenario , and are happy to have the snake yourself if your son loses interest then go for it. I organized a stimmie and enclosure for a 10 year old after he blew me away with his knowledge and research into the stimmie. Mum and dad were happy to supervise and knew I was a phone call away and would take the stimmie back if needed, a year down the track he is still the very proud owner of a very healthy stimmie.
My concern is that you don't know enough about snakes yourself, just by your comment of "is 4 days a week enough for them to bond". Snakes don't bond like mammals or birds.. The snake will learn your sons smell = no threat, but that is the extent of any bonding.
Check the for sale section here on APS and you may find someone with an enclosure for sale that will suit your need, for a stimmie it wont need to take up half the lounge room, so that's a blessing.
You'll know the answer to your dilemma if you think logically and not with your heart, good luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back