Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I just read all the stuff blue tongue said and I think they're right besides the bit about funding the theft of natives because I think there are probably alot people selling reptiles without licenses and to those who also don't have licenses but that's another story, the only thing I hate about that is the amount of animals that would be "disposed of" and I hate that thought. But there has to be a way that we can have exotics because is a species of reptile that Australia just doesn't have and that is the humble land tortoise I mean why cant we have them they are the only major reptile species we dont have

Last edited:
we as a community generally do the right thing and get a license and stuff but people who dont care for the internet and dont much care for the law are fine owning illegal reptiles.. before i had a license i only had a pair of beardies that i got from a shop and lied to get the pair as they would only sell a single without it. i thought it was dumb to have to have a license so my lizard could have a friend. now i am by the books and see reason in the laws, but then i would have gotten a chameleon if i could have... i mean living in sa its a very common thing to see and hear people growing green in their house or graden.. thats illegal but deters very few. most people are ignorant, and more like to brag.. as a wise sole once told me loose lips sink ships and you only have yourself to blame..

Not worth the risk unless your a million dollar man

And not even worth the risk even if you are a million (or even a billion) dollar man. One reason I would never own (let alone admit to such) an exotic is that many breeders are very particular to who they will sell any of their animals to...and if you admit to owning exotics they may simply refuse to sell anything to you for that reason alone. I've met a few breeders who are like this. I'm talking about breeders of native animals. Some of those prized woma localities may be much harder for me to obtain if I kept exotics and told everyone...even if I were a millionaire.

It's a quarantine issue as well as an ethics issue. I don't keep exotics...and it's not because they're illegal either mind you. It's because they could, at least theoretically if not actually, carry diseases and pathogens not native to Australia (uncommon but not so uncommon that it can't be considered a major risk), and could become feral if released and established (rare, but very possible - the would-be rabbit hunters thought rabbits would never survive here because it "seemed too hot"...but look back at those sentiments and laugh). The same arguments were said of cats, but we have plenty of feral cats, so it appears they adapted to the Aussie heat and once adapted they thrived.

I suggest it's just a case of, "there are plenty of stupid people everywhere"
also, self serving, narcissistic, ignorant, well, you get the idea...
I just hope each and every one of them gets caught and pays dearly for it :D

And not even worth the risk even if you are a million (or even a billion) dollar man. One reason I would never own (let alone admit to such) an exotic is that many breeders are very particular to who they will sell any of their animals to...and if you admit to owning exotics they may simply refuse to sell anything to you for that reason alone. I've met a few breeders who are like this. I'm talking about breeders of native animals. Some of those prized woma localities may be much harder for me to obtain if I kept exotics and told everyone...even if I were a millionaire.

It's a quarantine issue as well as an ethics issue. I don't keep exotics...and it's not because they're illegal either mind you. It's because they could, at least theoretically if not actually, carry diseases and pathogens not native to Australia (uncommon but not so uncommon that it can't be considered a major risk), and could become feral if released and established (rare, but very possible - the would-be rabbit hunters thought rabbits would never survive here because it "seemed too hot"...but look back at those sentiments and laugh). The same arguments were said of cats, but we have plenty of feral cats, so it appears they adapted to the Aussie heat and once adapted they thrived.

Pffft, money talks and everyone has a price. You can have he pickiest breeder ever but I guarantee if an exotic owning multi offered enough for the prized woma, he'd get it.

Hi,

Would someone please explain why it's so bad if someone has a corn snake?
I didn't realise exotic snakes, like corns and boas were illegal (I'm pretty new to reptile land - have had my python for just a week!).
I do know a girl who has a corn snake and she said she got it because the previous owner was being cruel (keeping him in vile conditions, provoking it etc.)

Thanks! Anni

I heard about a burm in a park in sydney somewhere...
I think...:?
I heard about a 15 foot long python being caught at a backpackers in darwin city, I am not sure who took it or where it went but from the description it was either a burm or a retic , I have always wanted a red tailed boa, something about them.

really? because if people keep getting them, more will need to be imported illegally, without checks and balances in place.
you asking why something is illegal? do you plan to go through the entire justice system questioning every law and ruling?
how about you go through all the previous threads on this and read the arguments there? instead if asking everyone to rehash them again and again and again?
and if you know someone with an illegal animal, report them, they're putting every one else's animals at risk. what happens if one escapes? (and many have) and we start getting cross breeds that start competing better for food than natives? are you willing to risk all the other wild snakes out there over some pathetic selfish want of some idiot? dont' we have enough other wild exotic animals doing enough damage already? you want more?

and that's my rant for tonight. :p

There are laws against exotics as they pose a danger to the ecosystem, so owning them poses a risk (escapes or releases etc). Its just not worth it. There are also differences in laws from sate to state as to what natives you are allowed to own, for example you cant have painted turtles in Vic. You risk a large fine owning them as well as your license being revoked and animals seized.

With something like 75-80% of the worlds python species here (correct me if Im wrong I cant remember the number), and some of the most beautiful it not like we aren't spoilt for choice.

really? because if people keep getting them, more will need to be imported illegally, without checks and balances in place.
you asking why something is illegal? do you plan to go through the entire justice system questioning every law and ruling?
how about you go through all the previous threads on this and read the arguments there? instead if asking everyone to rehash them again and again and again?
and if you know someone with an illegal animal, report them, they're putting every one else's animals at risk. what happens if one escapes? (and many have) and we start getting cross breeds that start competing better for food than natives? are you willing to risk all the other wild snakes out there over some pathetic selfish want of some idiot? dont' we have enough other wild exotic animals doing enough damage already? you want more?

What exactly would a corn snake or boa "cross" breed with?

The painted turtle thing is ridicules , They would never survive a victorian winter and we have red eared sliders in every waterway in the greater melbourne area.

There are laws against exotics as they pose a danger to the ecosystem, so owning them poses a risk (escapes or releases etc). Its just not worth it. There are also differences in laws from sate to state as to what natives you are allowed to own, for example you cant have painted turtles in Vic. You risk a large fine owning them as well as your license being revoked and animals seized.

With something like 75-80% of the worlds python species here (correct me if Im wrong I cant remember the number), and some of the most beautiful it not like we aren't spoilt for choice.

Thanks! :)

Hi Recharge,

It's great that you are so passionate about this issue, however your post seems quite condescending.

I wrote my post because I want to understand if there is a specific reason exotic snakes (like corns and boas) are illegal as opposed to exotic breeds of other species of animals which can be kept in captivity in Australia, for example peacocks and macaws. I thought if anyone knew, it'd probably be someone on this site.
I didn't come across any previous posts which explained that but your comment makes me think that I probably could've articulated myself better in asking the question.

All that aside, I found this to be helpful. Keeping exotic (non-native) animals - Wildlife trade and conservation in Australia

Last edited:
Hi,

Would someone please explain why it's so bad if someone has a corn snake?
I didn't realise exotic snakes, like corns and boas were illegal (I'm pretty new to reptile land - have had my python for just a week!).
I do know a girl who has a corn snake and she said she got it because the previous owner was being cruel (keeping him in vile conditions, provoking it etc.)

Thanks! Anni

It is relatively irrelevant to legalize the importation of exotic species simply because they currently exist in private collections or the environment, more like adding fuel to an out of control burning flame so to speak. Same goes for like say those that possess amnesty animals. If the current condition is already so fragile, theres even more justification to ban what they can i suppose.

Reptiles are not exactly mainstream anyway (+ as some may agree, our scaly friends tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to legality and wildlife management), so it would probably be more feasible to ban the minority rather than nit pick at every single potential/already existing problem present. Of course this is just me taking a stab at things

On top of the legal and political mess it creates, theres always the environmental/green issue at hand, disease spreading, etc etc (pretty much if you can't even bring something like dried bananas into the country via customs, the more goes for living breathing organisms, which lets be honest, may be host to a massive number of potentially harmful organisms)

Regarding that government website link, apart from zoos and possibly scientific research what would "non commercial purposes" constitute of?

Last edited:
What exactly would a corn snake or boa "cross" breed with?

seeing that Corn Snakes are Colubrids, and we in australia have a few type of those, it *may* be possible.
I don't know if any one has tried though. but it's not just corn snakes, there are a thousand different type of snake across the world, the potential is there.
but it's also diseases, or infiltration of other breeds escaping into the wild and starting colonies, the potential environmental and competition damage to natives is very real.

as for comparing reptiles to other animals that are allowed to be imported, we already have problems, the Indian minor for a start, a huge pest problem in queensland and nsw.

do we need to add yet another/more problem(s)? all for someone to have some rare (here) animal they can epeen with?

We have idiots in the US releasing gaboon vipers out just because they didn't "realize what they were getting into". Let alone I'm not even sure how people get a hold of them....

The other day i was walking around campus with my diamond python hanging around my neck and some random guy comes up to me and says hey your the girl thats really into reptiles arnt you? one of my mates told me about you. Confussed as as i was i said yeah and this guy started talking to me about lizards then turns to me and asks if i want to purchase an iguana off him, I said mate there highly ilegal in australia he then takes off his backpack gently so i start to backaway and he pulls out a male baby iguana and then immits he smuggled it as an egg back from my last trip. Of corse i didnt buy it but did how ever report him and not only did he have an illeagal animal but then admitted to smuggling it.

^^ why would you be walking around the campus with your python???
You understand exotics are illegal but can't seem to follow your license restrictions.........

Last edited:

only elapids in Tasmania...

But the thing is most of them dont know they are illegal.

Of course they do!
They're just showing off!!
(exotic herps are not that stupid or they wouldn't be keen on an exotic in first place - it's the "I'm so cool cause no one else have one, but I do," syndrome)

If not, when they need to research husbandry, they'll soon realise they're not on a common pet list.

I bet if/when they get caught, they'll use the cheap excuse they "didn't know"...

Well, ignorance is not an excuse!

What upsets me, is people's greed and need of showing off (totally ignorance, if you ask me) and not be acquainted with the damage some of these exotics may cause when 'dumped' in a backyard cause they can't get rid of it...

I was reading an article about Corns released in the wild (possibly from DERM) and explains how they destroy native wildlife in SE QLD and NSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back