Sunfire Ridge Tailed Monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leahellem

Reaction score
Hey guys as you have read the title yes its about ridge tail monitors...so yeah im getting a baby sunfire ridge tail monitor in a couple of weeks i really want to build up my research and care for them iv done some research on the net and have read so much different facts just want to know peoples info on here,

Do they need a uvb?
What size for baby then for an adult tank?
what temps do they need?
do they swim :/?

Can anyone give me some good tips maybe thanks would really appreciate it

To start with, it's "Sandfire"... they come from the north coastal Pilbara region of WA. They like access to high basking heat... 45C, and yes, they can swim but would not do so mormally - they like hot, dry conditions.

Jamie

Oh yeah ment sand woops, Ok sooo.....what size tank should i get for a baby then for a adult when it gets bigger, how big to they get i was told round 60 to 70cm head to tail? thanks

A 60-90cm tank would be fine for a youngster, they do grow reasonably fast, but 70cm would be quite a big one - 50 cm would be a good average adult, and as big as you can afford to heat - these are active lizards and like to roam over their territories - minimum would be 1200 x 600 base, and a stack of clay roofing tiles makes an ideal shelter.

Jamie

Aww ok kool well im getting a 4ft so that should be enough till he or she gets older and maybe then i may even upgrade again, do you know if there aggressive things? also whats a good price they should range around im getting one round 150-200

That's a decent price. Also like people they have individual personalities, I've found that hatchlings/juveniles to more likely to bite but as they get older and accustomed to handling around a yearling+ they settle down and become better handlers.

Nice thanks for the help im goin to still doin alot of research over the couple of weeks before i get him/her thankyou

To start with, it's "Sandfire"... they come from the north coastal Pilbara region of WA. They like access to high basking heat... 45C, and yes, they can swim but would not do so mormally - they like hot, dry conditions.

Jamie

I'd get the temp up a bit higher than that, 60 degrees worked for me.

Can anyone that keeps Ackies comment on whether UVB light is needed for them? To help myself and the OP who asked the question originally out. I know some people say UVB is not needed for them. I ask this because I seem to have a electrical problem, as the last 2 Mercury Vapor Bulb's I placed into the ceramic socket blew within minutes - sort of a dull flickering light for a few mins and then blew (quite annoying as they ain't cheap!) but then I put a normal Par floodlight in and its working fine so have stuck with it for the last few weeks. But now my Ackies are not getting any UV.

Last edited:
^^^^ there is no evidence to suggest monitors need UV light when given a proper diet of whole food prey and a very hot basking spot is provided

Can anyone that keeps Ackies comment on whether UVB light is needed for them? To help myself and the OP who asked the question originally out. I know some people say UVB is not needed for them. I ask this because I seem to have a electrical problem, as the last 2 Mercury Vapor Bulb's I placed into the ceramic socket blew within minutes - sort of a dull flickering light for a few mins and then blew (quite annoying as they ain't cheap!) but then I put a normal Par floodlight in and its working fine so have stuck with it for the last few weeks. But now my Ackies are not getting any UV.

Mercury Vapour lamps will not work without the correct ballast, and some will require an igniter (depends if the lamp is self-igniting). Also a capacitor is required for power factor correction or they will draw too much current, running your power bill up and reducing the life of the lamp. Yes, I'm a licensed electrician.

*EDIT* Typo, I'm half asleep lol.

UV light is pretty important I think! During summer i take all my adults outside to help them get some much needed vitamin D. As long as you are able to take a tub out in the sun for a couple of hours each month i would say that would be sufficient.
UV lights are pretty much a waste of time and wouldnt really be equivallent to much time out in the sun anyway.

And be very carefull with impaction! I had not experienced it at all until my last clutch. I moved the babies onto larger food too quickly. It better to feed smaller food for longer.

And as mentioned you need to pretty hot for the babies to be really healthy. adults dont need it quite so hot.

Yes they need UVB lights other wise they can get mbd like my little fella I use a UVB 10 light, the kid I got him off was well a kid and didn't really know what he was doing also my enclosure is 6ftx2ftx2ft and I have a sand fire to, but I like to have the best for all my reptiles, I'm in Vic an have been looking fr more sand fire for ages so any contacts would be great cheers,
7cb48701-0e39-d828.jpg
you can see the back has mbd but is slowly getting better and his enclosure for ya
7cb48701-0e73-4980.jpg
hope this helps ya

Oh my gosh ! I'm in vic and am finding it impossible to find ackies too !!!!! Any contacts/ breeders/ sellers let me know too !! Thanks

UOTE=Rickster;2228314]Yes they need UVB lights other wise they can get mbd like my little fella I use a UVB 10 light, the kid I got him off was well a kid and didn't really know what he was doing also my enclosure is 6ftx2ftx2ft and I have a sand fire to, but I like to have the best for all my reptiles, I'm in Vic an have been looking fr more sand fire for ages so any contacts would be great cheers,
7cb48701-0e39-d828.jpg
you can see the back has mbd but is slowly getting better and his enclosure for ya
7cb48701-0e73-4980.jpg
hope this helps ya[/QUOTE]

I can state categorically that ackies can be taken through the life cycle without UV and without MBD on a correct diet high in calcium. They do however need a hot basking spot of around 60C.

Few things I need to clear up i this thread:

1) Not giving your ackie UVB will NOT cause MBD ( That is caused by poor diets such as not alot of whole food items ).

2) UVB tubes do actually work.

3) Many people do and do not use UVB lights and have seen no difference. I personally use MVB's just for ease of mind and 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

Just to add a few details to the excellent comment above…
Vitamin D is required by all vertebrates for the absorption and metabolism of calcium. It is stored in the liver until required. For reptiles that are capable of absorbing D from what they eat, a diet of whole vertebrates, containing bone and liver, means they get enough vitamin D and do NOT need exposure to UVB light to make more. Snakes and varanids are in this category. Note that most varanids require a high basking temperature and if this is not provided, then digestion and absorption of required nutrients may be adversely affected.

Rickster,
I am assuming MBD was properly diagnosed by a vet for the varanid pictured with the bent spine. MBD is a range of conditions resulting in abnormal mineral metabolism affecting bone development or maintenance and there be can be a dozen different causes or more.

Sweetangel,
There is a range of reasons some people have unsatisfactory results using UVB lights. The UVB output degrades and these lights all need to be regularly replaced despite no loss of visual light intensity. You need to use an appropriately rated globe for the specific animal and it needs to be placed at the correct distance from the basking reptile’s skin to be effective. The reptile requires heat at the same time as the manufacture of vitamin D by photosynthesis occurs at its preferred body temperature. Where multiple animals are caged together, all need access to heat and UVB.

I do agree, however, that supervised exposure to nature sunlight is a great alternative if you can organise it several days a week for half an hour or more for those reptiles that do require high levels of regular UVB.

Blue

PS. The active form of vitamin D is called D3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back