Help !!!! please :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calebs92

Reaction score
springfield lakes ,ipswich ,qld ,australia
our 3-4 month old baby central breadie doesn't look good :( she's just laying there with her eyes closed , when you pick up up she moves a little, but still has he eyes close and won't eat. has this happen to anyone, she still getting heat an everything

There are many things to look into - as there was not a lot of information I will suggest a few fundamental things to check first.
Temperature - check temperatures with thermometer or raytek, just because the dial says 35degrees does not mean that is the temperature inside the enclosure.
Bearded dragons want a spot at least 35degrees to get nice and warm.
Is your animal spending enough time in the warm part of the cage?
Is the enclosure too humid - your lizard could have pneumonia if it has been cool and moist.
do you have UV - is it old or new, remember change every 6 months. Is the UV at the opposite end to the heat? Is the UV being filtered out by glass or plastic?
Is it feeling intimidated by another animal in the room, dragons have good eyesight and are very good at psychological bullying.
Last of all have you been feeding it mealworms? Might have a tummy pain, try some warm water therapy, the little bearded's cannot digest mealworms and they can compact in their stomach, can cause death.

I have to concur about checking heat, diet and UVB exposure. If you can give it half an hour to an hour a day in sunshine, for 3 or 4 days of the week, that will ensure it is getting sufficient UVB. Dragons often won't drink still water so if you have never seen it drink try putting a gentle air stone in the water bowl. Calcium is required in rapidly growing youngsters. So either add a suplement two or three times a week or have available a dish of ground up cuttlefish bone. No improvement with a couple of days, get it to the vet.

Blue

Blue, what's an air stone? (My beardie could definitely use some encouragement drinking from the water bowl.)

It could possibly be its not hot enough I have 2 Pygmy dragons and one was displaying the same symptoms. I got a stronger heat lamp for my 4 foot enclosure and it is very happy now eating about 10 crickets a day as opposed to none. I was getting worried for a while. Also the one that was like this has not developed as much as the other one. My dragons are about 6 months old. Hope this helps.

airstone.jpg
Blue, what's an air stone? (My beardie could definitely use some encouragement drinking from the water bowl.)
air stones distribute air into 1000's of lil bubbles and oxygenate the water better and gets the water moving, i can say that it def worked for my water dragon, he even sits over the bubbles, i reckon hes getting his jollys from it...:lol:

Last edited:
Sounds like brumation, whatever you do, do not let it brumate. I got told that you should let it brumate, even though I told everyone he wasnt a good eater since I had got him. My other beardie, four days younger was twice the size and not brumating and was kept in the exact same conditions. So I took the "experts" advice and my little fella was dead two days later. So please try and bump the temps up and try and get your little to stop (using what Bluetongue said).

Edit - also I did try and bump the temps up on the last day as I was so worried about him, and tried lots of different things - warm baths etc etc but it was too late, by morning he was gone as I got told by a well known beardie breeder to not let him brumate (I called him up).

View attachment 258770
air stones distribute air into 1000's of lil bubbles and oxygenate the water better and gets the water moving, i can say that it def worked for my water dragon, he even sits over the bubbles, i reckon hes getting his jollys from it...:lol:

That sounds...SO COOL! O_O Where can you pick them up from?

My beardie had the same thing and this killed me. I was only 4 years old and I wasn't all that responsible back then and i HATE myself for it. My dragon got mouth rot. It starts of with their mouth closed and not eating and soon pussy stuff comes out of their mouth. Being 4 I just thought she was hibernating or sleeping until I noticed the puss seeping out. Half her face ended up just being dead, she couldn't move her mouth, she couldn't hear out of that side and her eye couldn't open. By the time I took her to the vet it was too late for antibiotics because she'd already developed a cancer. It cleared up a month or so later after the antibiotics but her face was bent and mishaped. Anyway it came back and kept on coming back until one day she just didn't open her eyes.
My advice- clean the cage and use newspaper as a substrate.
Get her to an ACTUAL reptile vet to see what it actually is and see if they can get some antibiotics into her. Her eyes may be stuck together so try swabbing it gently with a warm wet cotton swab.
PLEASE PLEASE take her to a professional and I hope it all works out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back