Possible outdoor enclosure..Opinions PLZ..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goth-Girl

Reaction score
Hi All,
Saw this at Bunnings and thought it would be a good outdoor Enclosure for my Coastal Boy.. Dementions are L 1.5m x W 1.5m x H 1.9m. I will put it on a concrete slab. About my only concern would be the wire. Will he rub his nose raw as I have heard they can do that and I don't want anything bad to happen to him. He means to much to me!! So your views on this as an Enclosure would be so apriciated.
3440104d.jpg
Thanks in advance..Cloe..

It should work well. I have seen them kept in similar avaries before with no ill effects. Just keep an eye on him in the begining for signs of stress / self harm.

It might happen maybe just dont put his climbing perces so close keep them further to the back

Thanks for your reply..Will do..
It should work well. I have seen them kept in similar avaries before with no ill effects. Just keep an eye on him in the begining for signs of stress / self harm.

That's what I thought..Thanks Heaps..
It might happen maybe just dont put his climbing perces so close keep them further to the back

Awsome would luv to see pics if you wouldn't mind..Cheers..
i've got mine in one and haven't had any issue's yet

Hi All,
Saw this at Bunnings and thought it would be a good outdoor Enclosure for my Coastal Boy.. Dementions are L 1.5m x W 1.5m x H 1.9m. I will put it on a concrete slab. About my only concern would be the wire. Will he rub his nose raw as I have heard they can do that and I don't want anything bad to happen to him. He means to much to me!! So your views on this as an Enclosure would be so apriciated.
View attachment 258822
Thanks in advance..Cloe..

I have my female Diamond in one of these and she loves it

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Deedee sun baking4.jpg
    Deedee sun baking4.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 112
The advantage of not having it on concrete would be that you could bury a pot for a underground hide that will be nice and cool in summer and a little warmer in winter.

Thanks Heaps for the pics animal805. Looks Great!! Look forward to getting mine!!
I have my female Diamond in one of these and she loves it

Never thought of that!! Good one Snowman..Cheers..
The advantage of not having it on concrete would be that you could bury a pot for a underground hide that will be nice and cool in summer and a little warmer in winter.

I cant take credit for the pot. Ladysnake on this forum does it in her outdoor enclosure.

These are pretty cool. How much do they cost @ Bunnings?

Could still dothe same with PVC pipe through the concrete. A friend of a friend has this done

yeah. Just makes accessing your animal a bit harder if you have to dig the hide up. Lots of ways to skin a cat. The principle is still the same. Just need to see what works best for you.

Maybe you could make the hide in the concrete still, just design it as removable if you know what I mean? It is a good idea though(the outdoor avaries) maybe make provision for potplant pots too(in the cement)

A little tip I discovered for mesh-front cages which improves your ability to view the inhabitants. Buy some black paint - ideally matte - and paint the mesh. The mesh virtually disappears because it no longer reflects light back at you.

Hi Sam,
They are just under $300..
These are pretty cool. How much do they cost @ Bunnings?

Great Idea markannab..Thanks..
A little tip I discovered for mesh-front cages which improves your ability to view the inhabitants. Buy some black paint - ideally matte - and paint the mesh. The mesh virtually disappears because it no longer reflects light back at you.

Last edited:
Also maybe don't position the cage in a direct open area to the sun...I can imagine how hot that tin's gonna get in Summer.

Also maybe don't position the cage in a direct open area to the sun...I can imagine how hot that tin's gonna get in Summer.

This is a great statement as it can get very hot under the tin esp on a hot summers day.

There has been some very good sugestions all with credit.
I have a few outdoor enclosures here in Emerald for my more mature morelia & they do a great job.
Position is everything!!!!!!!!
Install them in a position where they get morning sun, even if it is not direct sun on all of the enclosure, both summer & winter they will come out in the morning a bask in the sun. BUT it is important esp in Qld or hot climates to give them afternoon shade, even from about 11 am on.
It does not get as hot in Bundy as it does here but the arvo sun will kill a snake both there & here if it cannot retreat to a cool area. So arvo shade & a cool hide is very important. Don't stress too much in winter as i have done in the past, the snakes do just fine so long as they get morning sun to bask & warm up.
Don't underestimate the power & heat of the sun. Put a thermometer out in the sun tomorrow at 10 am & you will be surprised (32 to 35c) & then put a thermometer in the sun middle of summer & you will be even more surprised (45to60c)Minimum.

Cheers
Ian

PS. Just a bit more info i thought of is the underground hide idea with pot etc is a great idea & i should have done that for my Diamonds, but too late now. The only problem with this is that in rainy weather it will fill with water & have to soak away, maybe in Bundy not so bad as you might hae sandy type soil.
In winter time on frosty mornings i have been worried about my snakes being too cold & frezing them by the very low winter temps. I did a skin temp check on the snakes one frosty morning a couple of years back & the temp was 3c i thought the snake was doomed. BUT no came out & basked in the morning sun & warmed up & then went & coiled away in their hides. So long as morning sun is given they seem to cope.

Hence i would rather all my snakes be cooler than too hot so long as they have access to the ideal heat temp for some period of time All seems to be OK.
I have never had a crook snake or any problems with the outdoor enclosures.
If i was more computer smart i would post pics of my outdoors but my missus Paula nrmally does that & she is away. But if you browse some enclosure threads you are sure to find.
Cheers again.

Last edited:
Have my diamonds in one with a wheelie bin buried in the ground as a summer retreat . Works well no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back