Eastern brown snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vicherps

Reaction score
Found this juvenile brown snake around Bundoora. When first encountered it was making very little movements due to its cold body temperature when found (was in aestivation). However it soon warmed up from the heat of the sun and started to become more active and started bluff striking, gaping its mouth, whipping around to defend itself from what it perceived me as a potential predator and rightfully so. When that didn't work it tried to escape. Eventually it just sat their and reared up but hardly moved probably due to the fact that most its energy levels had been spent up (they are not durable) which could bring on latic acid and because causing little movement will not cause the potential predator to go after it, it was very wary and if i was to get to close or get it to uncomfortable in anyway it would probably have tried to bite me. However next to other specimens of this species it did have a relatively placid temperament some individuals I have encountered can be very defensive and rather confronting if cornered, some who misunderstand snakes both inside and outside the herpetological community would call aggressive which is not true.

I will also add a photo of a Tiger Snake i found in late May

cheers, Micah

Attachments

• IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 348
Nice work for this time of year, Micah! How did you find the Eastern Brown? Were you actively searching for snakes, or did you just chance upon it?

Nice work for this time of year, Micah! How did you find the Eastern Brown? Were you actively searching for snakes, or did you just chance upon it?
Hannaz I found it under a basalt among some remnant native grasslands.

A great find, Micah. I hadn't given a thought to herping around Melbourne at this time of year, but now you have me wondering.

Initially I was looking for Little Whip Snakes which you can find in aggregations under rocks, timber, tin etc but found this instead. Whilst they are aestivating at this time of the year in if you do get a warm winter day they will come out. Some snakes snakes such as White-lipped Snakes, Copperheads and to a lesser extent tiger snakes are extremely cold tolerant and can remain active at quit low temperatures (they are however more active in spring, summer and autumn of course).

Cool, thanks Micah. I'll have to have a look on the next sunny day we get. Not too many in the next week though, by the sound of things.

doesn't have to necessarily be a sunny day could be overcast as well try to look under things if it's a warm day try active searching if not stick with looking under things.

Ok, thanks. I'll take your advice and see what I can find!

[QUOTE=

However next to other specimens of this species it did have a relatively placid temperament

no such thing as a placid EB, unless its dead of course lol .... awesome elapid

However next to other specimens of this species it did have a relatively placid temperament no such thing as a placid EB said:
I completely disagree, I deal mainly with wild EB's here in NQ, and the vast majority while initially defensive will settle down quite quickly when tailed and allowed to rest on the ground and /or hook and become fairly placid in a short period of time. They are reluctant biters and surprisingly tolerant of harrassment.

no such thing as a placid EB said:
Snakeface I disagree with the comment you have just made. Although if you generalise the Eastern Brown Snake behaviour they are a highly defensive species but every specimen/individual is different. When I use the term placid I mean that it was less confronting than other individuals (their is variability) but if you come to think of it it's quite smart as if it was to bite me it there would be a chance that I would get more arouse and kill it (from this individuals perception), remember their in the natural world where 'survival of the fittest' is the real deal so one action that may not be necessary might cost it's life.

Now of course I would not kill it because I'm fascinated by snakes and just wanted to photograph the animal, but the snake saw me as a potential predator and was wary and I'm sure if I did anything to make it more stressed/uncomfortable etc it would have bitten to protect its own survival.

Nice finds this time of year.
Thanks Saratoga.

I completely disagree, I deal mainly with wild EB's here in NQ, and the vast majority while initially defensive will settle down quite quickly when tailed and allowed to rest on the ground and /or hook and become fairly placid in a short period of time. They are reluctant biters and surprisingly tolerant of harrassment.

Second that. Exact same observation, defensive upon initial contact followed by immediate calming once tailed. Always and without exception. This is only my limited experience though and would not presume to speak on all EB encounters. :D

last thing you want to do around any EB is lapse into a false sense of security, you can never trust a brown at anytime they are just to unpredictable even if they look calm or placid they can react in an instant. Would you ever freehandle a brown like others do rbb or tigers? i think not. I'm not trying to contradict or belittle your opinion but having dealt with relocating hundreds of EB's i cant stress enough to be 100% focused at all times and never take your eyes off that snakes head while handling any EB. Just one lapse in concentration or distractions can turn nasty in a second. There just to dangerous to treat lightly

After a 3 year study on Common Brown Snakes in the field, Rick Shine and Patrick Whitaker concluded that "Overall, our findings belie this animal's reputation for 'aggression'. Instead, Eastern Brown Snakes are very wary of people and avoid them whenever they can." (Whitaker & Shine, 1999).

A couple of papers well worth reading if you can find them

Whitaker, P.B. & Shine, R. (1999). When, where and why do people encounter Australian brown snakes (Pseudonaja textilis: Elapidae)? Wildlife Research 26: 675 - 688.

Whitaker, P.B. & Shine, R. (1999). Responses of free-ranging brown snakes (Pseudonaja textilis: Elapidae) to encounters with humans. Wildlife Research 26: 689 - 704.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back