Reptiles Australasia Issue 3...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now to answer a few of your questions:

Yes the option for a sister magazine to Scales & Tails Australia, as originally intended, has been back on the table for the last few months.... and no we definitely will not be considering any partners!!!!!!!!!

Regarding emag: We've been putting plans in place for some months now on going emag with Scales & Tails Australia as well as our regular hard copy and this is scheduled to happen before the end of the year, so watch for an announcement on that soon. Oops......... I just remembered that we actually announced it in the July issue of Scales & Tails Australia.

We have a few other irons in the fire at the moment as well that are keeping us quite busy, but we'll keep you updated as they all unfold.

Cheers

Joy

Last edited:
I buy Scales & Tails from the newsagent in the city near where I work and have the complete set from issue 1. The overseas magazines they also have there are interesting but in my opinion have way more advertisements and are not as good a quality in general both in content or manufacture as Scales & Tails. and most of the articles in the overseas magazines are very general and not that informative in my view. I used to buy these overseas magazines all the time many years ago when they were all that was available for the reptile enthusiast but dont find them value for money these days or that interesting. Just my opinion.

I personally dont find Scales & Tails has over the top advertisements and the quality of the articles that are topical to keeping and breeding reptiles in Australia are excellent quality.

besides $10-11 every two months is nothing these days for people with a passion about their hobby.

I agree with you Colin, the overseas mags I have found are riddled with adds and the print quality dismal at best

The overseas magazines were printing breeding guides on our native species years before we ever had specialized books doing the same, I don't buy reptile related magazines to marvel at the glossy paper or wonder if it's going to fit in with the style of my coffee table. I buy it purely for the information both in husbandry and scientific sectors.

I just looked through the latest issue of S&C and on 47 pages there are 26 ads, that's not including the classifieds page which to me seems excessive for a 50 page magazine. I also find that a lot of the articles in S&C have been covered previously by Reptile Australia.

So because I won't continue to buy the magazine means I don't have a passion for the hobby? :rolleyes:
Sorry but my book collection begs to differ.

Again not having a dig, just giving my opinion.

The overseas magazines were printing breeding guides on our native species years before we ever had specialized books doing the same, I don't buy reptile related magazines to marvel at the glossy paper or wonder if it's going to fit in with the style of my coffee table. I buy it purely for the information both in husbandry and scientific sectors.

I just looked through the latest issue of S&C and on 47 pages there are 26 ads, that's not including the classifieds page which to me seems excessive for a 50 page magazine. I also find that a lot of the articles in S&C have been covered previously by Reptile Australia.

So because I won't continue to buy the magazine means I don't have a passion for the hobby? :rolleyes:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and my goodness no-one is trying to force you to buy anything ....... As we've always said we enjoy good constructive feedback and it's always appreciated. However the actual facts might be good too! Here's the correct information and not a dramatised version: I just double checked our ads and including all the business card size ads in the back which you actually included in your count (and there are 12 of those which fit on a page), plus the page for the classifieds and herp forums etc ,,,,,, total pages of ads including covers = 19.23% ....... I must say, great looking ads too!
And then I compared this with three random overseas magazines.... % of ads in them = 29.87%, 31.25% and 42% respectively....... hmmmmmmm..... I enjoy reading the oversea's mags too. I like to check out the ads so I'm certainly not complaining. I guess we are being very conservative with our % of ads when you compare our mag with overseas mags..... Not having a dig at you either...... just stating actual figures not dramatics.......
Cheers
Joy

n a page), total pages of ads including covers = 19.23% ....... I must say, great looking ads too!
And then I compared this with three random overseas magazines.... % of ads in them = 29.87%, 31.25% and 42% respectively....... hmmmmmmm....

These results are exactly what I expected

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and my goodness no-one is trying to force you to buy anything ....... As we've always said we enjoy good constructive feedback and it's always appreciated. However the actual facts might be good too! Here's the correct information and not a dramatised version: I just double checked our ads and including all the business card size ads in the back which you actually included in your count (and there are 12 of those which fit on a page), plus the page for the classifieds and herp forums etc ,,,,,, total pages of ads including covers = 19.23% ....... I must say, great looking ads too!
And then I compared this with three random overseas magazines.... % of ads in them = 29.87%, 31.25% and 42% respectively....... hmmmmmmm..... I enjoy reading the oversea's mags too. I like to check out the ads so I'm certainly not complaining. I guess we are being very conservative with our % of ads when you compare our mag with overseas mags..... Not having a dig at you either...... just stating actual figures not dramatics.......
Cheers
Joy

Ummmm, sorry but no I didn't count those at all.
I counted from front cover to page 47, in those 47 pages there were 26 ads. So there were no "dramatics" at all really.
Perhaps you need to recount?

26 ads spread over 47 pages seems like a decent ratio to me and not really something to get fixated about.

Ummmm, sorry but no I didn't count those at all.
I counted from front cover to page 47, in those 47 pages there were 26 ads. So there were no "dramatics" at all really.
Perhaps you need to recount?

Some people like a few ads anyway - stories of reptiles + products and services = a rounded magazine, as long as it's in balance. I live remotely, so never get to browse the shelves of reptile stores directly.

Jamie

26 ads spread over 47 pages seems like a decent ratio to me and not really something to get fixated about.
Fixated? I doubt it.

There are 45 accounts of advertising in a 50 page publication. Unless the basic formula for percentages has changed that doesn't equate to 19.23%

Mate,,,,,,, I'm not getting into it with you, but thanks for the chuckle. :lol:
Bottom line is that the percentage is what I said. You are entitled to your opinion, and geez wouldn't it be a dull old world if we all had exactly the same opinion? If you like our magazine (ads included) and you buy it, then that's great and thank you for supporting us. That's how we are able to continue to support the hobby the way that we do.... is by people supporting us. What's the saying? What goes around comes around! If we all support each other then the hobby wins. If you don't like our mag, then that's ok too. We knew before we started publishing that we wouldn't be able to please all the people all the time!
As I said earlier, good constructive feedback is always welcome and we appreciate it as that's how we grew to be the success that we are today ... by listening to what people wanted....... I'm glad that you brought up the ad thing because it made me look at what other magazines were doing regarding their ads, and I hadn't done that in a while.... and yes we are still definitely on the right track, so once again thanks for that.
Take care.
Cheers
Joy

lol Boa...... it's 10 pages spread over a 52 page publication...... heck, this is fabulous advertising...... I wonder how many people are going to rush out and buy this issue just to count it up....... Thanks Cheshire Cat..... You're helping to boost this months sales. ;)

Fixated? I doubt it.

There are 45 accounts of advertising in a 50 page publication. Unless the basic formula for percentages has changed that doesn't equate to 19.23%

oh mate..... that's funny...... 10 pages out of a 52 page publication definitely does equate to 19.23% lol...... shall we start counting words now??????? lol :lol:

Last edited:
Dude let it go. Lets try and have one RA thread that doesn't get closed.
hehehe

Last edited:
Is there anybody who was a subscriber to Reptiles Australasia who asked for a refund and did/did not get it?

Cheers
Joy

I enjoy your mag Joy, don't really care how many ads are in it & are their people who actually count them? Bet if it was a girlie mag the % would be much higher lol! Again top mag & keep up the good work-Cheers.

I've just read the whole 7 pages...........:shock:
Jamie, Mate ! we all make errors in life, and admitting it to all, well that speaks volumes...........:D move on now !
S&T, Old days were your word is your Bond are gone !! Everything in writing, signed, sealed & delivered OR you dont continue with it !
Nothing like working with people who have the same blood flowing through their vanes as yours................
Hope the future treats you all well ;)
Aleks.

Very possible. He does use capitals when he doesn't want to be identified :)

Jamie

Funny how he didn't pop up again until you showed up.

Wouldn't you know? Aren't you the one who worked along side him?

Where's my magazine puss puss?

7636687654_959b484b9d.jpg

Look familiar Tumbleweed. I've watched your posts of late, seem to have a wealth of knowledge for a new member..... particularly when it comes to exotics.

Last edited:
I will just add my bit and say that I love S&T. Keep up the great work!

Given the small market in this country, I'm grateful that we have an Australian reptile magazine. Looking forward to the next issue!

Mate,,,,,,, I'm not getting into it with you, but thanks for the chuckle. :lol:
Bottom line is that the percentage is what I said. You are entitled to your opinion, and geez wouldn't it be a dull old world if we all had exactly the same opinion? If you like our magazine (ads included) and you buy it, then that's great and thank you for supporting us. That's how we are able to continue to support the hobby the way that we do.... is by people supporting us. What's the saying? What goes around comes around! If we all support each other then the hobby wins. If you don't like our mag, then that's ok too. We knew before we started publishing that we wouldn't be able to please all the people all the time!
As I said earlier, good constructive feedback is always welcome and we appreciate it as that's how we grew to be the success that we are today ... by listening to what people wanted....... I'm glad that you brought up the ad thing because it made me look at what other magazines were doing regarding their ads, and I hadn't done that in a while.... and yes we are still definitely on the right track, so once again thanks for that.
Take care.
Cheers
Joy

lol Boa...... it's 10 pages spread over a 52 page publication...... heck, this is fabulous advertising...... I wonder how many people are going to rush out and buy this issue just to count it up....... Thanks Cheshire Cat..... You're helping to boost this months sales. ;)

oh mate..... that's funny...... 10 pages out of a 52 page publication definitely does equate to 19.23% lol...... shall we start counting words now??????? lol :lol:

From someone who has been a long time in the hobby but doesn't frequent forums much (this thread is a perfect example why) I'd like to say that I am an avid reader of S&T. I really like the magazine. I never bought RA simply because of the disgraceful reputation of Neil Simpson, no other reason. I think its humorous those that defended him before have now changed their pants, no need to mention names (& this isn't about you Jamie Stuart), you know who you are. However I really think that posts like the above where someone (Joy) who is well recognised in the hobby continually 'argues' with a nobody. Really unprofessional. Why do you need to counteract what he's saying, the guy is clearly a dill, who cares? You can't win, you're only lowering yourself to his level. He has an opinion that is different to yours, it might be wrong, so what?

your entitled to your opinion Tumbleweed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back