Olive python problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

braids

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok so last night my girl had a shed with help from me. Had her in the bath to assist her with her shed as the shed was comming off in my hand I could see Lighter looking scales scatterd all over her bottom half of her body there not pink or fleshie but just a lighter shade of olive.her temps are 32-33 and her cage is very well cleaned and just a thought is when she was shedding I was spraying her enclosure well just her. And I do this every time she sheds and hasn't been a prob yet till now.
would this be any concern as to be to much humidity or damp substrate? Not really sure if it would stay damp for too long.. Oh and she is on a heat mat any help would be much appreciated
Cheers braids
65770f60-55a8-ba80.jpg
65770f60-55b5-c786.jpg
65770f60-55c2-47a0.jpg

Ive seen that on another olive that was posted here i think....where some scales started to turn white? Im sorry i cant remember much about the story or the outcome.

But best to see a reptile vet just to be sure its nothing to worry about. I just had to take a gtp to the vet whos scales were looking wierd, but turned out to be just pigmenttation.

i'm not sure but all that i can think of is that it might be scale rot. it might be best to visit a vet if no-one else replies

Just weird pigmentation or damage to new skin from enclosure ornaments before she shed old skin nothing to worry about and she will probably shed again soon. Up her food and give her a bit more heat to digest minerals and vitamins from rodent quicker and new skin will be fine.

So you do know they can shed by themselves ? The assist you mention is only needed with an incomplete or very difficult shed . Too much interference can cause as many problems as not enough .

Yes iv had the same issue once with my Bredli. I realised it was completely my fault as i tried to remove skin after a bad shed that was not ready to come off. Its nothing to worry about i dont think as my Bredli's scales were fine the next shed. So yes Jungletrans is correct. "Too much interference can cause as many problems as not enough ." Im sure this is a novice issue but we live and we learn.

Yea na wasn't because of the interference. She had a bad shed the night before and when I got home I bathed her for awhile and the shed came off easily. But had this underneath.

If you MUST assist with a retained shed then do so with caution. Never peel any skin off the animal as you can really strip their skin back too many layers at once. If you must assist then allow them to soak in a warm, wet pillow case for a few minutes so that the case gently rubs them as they move around inside it. This ensures the dorsal region (the back, where your olive has her odd pigmentation) is adequately moistened as well as the ventral region as putting them in a bath sometimes doesn't help with the back. So, after letting them soak, let them slide through your hands as you hold them with the wet pillow case. You don't have to apply much pressure at all, a heavy-handed approach to any skin issues is not a good idea. So you can gently rub them with the wet pillowcase, it helps lubricate the skin as it is removed and yet doesn't allow you to apply too much pressure and cause damage. I really should take a video of what i mean, i'm not making any sense :/

What is the min temp in the enclosure and can she rest there? I saw weird scales like this on a friend's spotted python and it was caused more or less by far too high temps being maintained throughout the enclosure. Underlying issues of stress from poor thermoregulation caused a systemic bacterial infection which was diagnosed with blood tests but the poor shed was just indicative of underlying issues, not directly caused by the infection, just stress from thermoregulation issues.

You don't happen to keep her on marine carpet do you?

Yea no I use a towel like pillow case to let herrub herself through my hands.diddent pull off it just slid off real easy. As for the temps she is in an 71/2 foot tank
65770f60-04ff-1845.jpg
the temps on the cooler side is 19-22degrees. Thinking of getting rid of the heat mat and getting more reptile radiators she is the only one in my enclosure without one. Just waiting for some more funds. As for substrate she lays on the paper cat litter pellets. Thanks to you guys who have replyed
Cheers braids

Looks like pigmentation to me.
If the scales look totally normal other than the colour, then I wouldn't be too worried. If the scales looks damaged or lifted it could indicate a number of potential husbandry issues.

It could be damage from the shed if she didn't produce enough oil between the skin layers. Might be worth raising humidity before the next shed and see if the next one is better.

A little scale damage is usually repaired without any assistance or interference within the next 2 or 3 sheds.

Looks like pigmentation to me.
If the scales look totally normal other than the colour, then I wouldn't be too worried. If the scales looks damaged or lifted it could indicate a number of potential husbandry issues.

It could be damage from the shed if she didn't produce enough oil between the skin layers. Might be worth raising humidity before the next shed and see if the next one is better.

A little scale damage is usually repaired without any assistance or interference within the next 2 or 3 sheds.

Yea that's exactly what I thought as none of the scales are or look to be damaged just a lighter color might seek a new way of getting humidity up time and double check the temps

Because it's localised, my bet would be as euphorion has suggested - the skin in that area has probably got too hot when the snake basks, it has dried out the natural miosture between the layers of skin, with the result that it has probably taken the next layer with it on those scales when it's come off. Instead of that natural moisture being a lubricant, it has become a glue. No measures other than to adjust the distance the snake can get to the heat source, and to maintain reasonable humidity prior to shedding, should be necessary. If my guess is correct, those pale scales will return to normal after the next shed or two.

There seems to be quite a number of inexperienced people offering advice on these sorts of threads in recent times, I always suggest you consult widely on here before rushing off to a vet, and be selective about the advice you take.

Very helpful photos by the way :)!

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back