Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never trust a scrubby and you will be fine.

My pattenless do have patterns on the middle of their bods, and yes trying them again :)

99b5b70c.jpg

Apart from the snake dude, I love your tats. Very awesome! Unique own pattern of your own there :p

Seems we're breeding snakes for reduced pattern, and going for increased patterns in humans these days... go figure :)! I was wondering, if a snake had a piercing through the middle of its lower lip, would it be called a Prince Albert?

Jamie

Seems we're breeding snakes for reduced pattern, and going for increased patterns in humans these days... go figure :)! I was wondering, if a snake had a piercing through the middle of its lower lip, would it be called a Prince Albert?

Jamie

Yes , its a crazy wild world Jamie (wooo) !

f9a8e918.jpg

(pic so I am not off Topic :p )

A scrubby is the LAST python you would want to get a bite from, Very alert powerful snakes.. I will never even Trust my "tame" ones let alone my agro ones!
A flat hand up to the face of a bitey scrubby has got to be some of the most stupid advice ever given on a forum, DON'T DO THAT!

e11357fe.jpg

I agree, if you put your hand upto any python I would be expecting a nice bite on the hand. I am certainly a newbie only having snakes for 3 years.Maybe the 96 is how many times the person has been nailed using this snake whispering method?

snakelady96 , i just tested your hand theory with my mental coastal , he just took his striking pose and had a quick go hit me square in the palm but it just deflected and i got my hand out quick smart before he could "reload " as i call it , lucky it wasn't a large scrubby hey

You forgot to say "NO", didn't you ?

i have been keeping scrubs for few years now my first one was the spawn of satan couldn even walk in the room with out him goin feral hahah but i have one now that is "calm" only bitten me once but in saying that i live by the general rule in NEVER TRUST A SCRUB hahaha
i am also get to more veryyyyyyyyyyy soon siked ill have one male and 2 female

My next enclosure is going to have a naughty corner with a naughty mat in it so i can send my Jungle when she has been bad.

I know Waterrat has made the observation that the wild ones he deals with around Cairns are generally quite mellow, and he suggested it may because we keep them too warm in southern climates - maybe there's something to this. I believe that Brian Barnett had a couple escape from Marbuck Park here in Port Macquarie years ago, and they turned up a couple of years later in good health. They can obviously cope with cooler weather.

But for the most part, temperament is a very individual thing, I don't trust them and I'm not optimistic that they will change. But then I have no interest in turning them into life companions - I like them for what they are - beautiful creatures which just happen to resent a human being in their space - it's their call and I'm happy with that.

Jamie

I don't know Waterrat but we used to have a lot of resident scrubbies in Cairns - at times there would be 5 or more in the front yard around the chooks, ducks and guinea pigs. They were all able to be picked up quite calmly no matter the size.
My personal belief is that captive scrubbies are kept too warm, too dry and not fed enough. The rainforest where we lived rarely reached 30C and there was very little direct sunlight to bask in. Exactly the same environment that Boyds live in (we had them in the yard as well).
They also have access to a lot of food, wallabies, white tailed rats, birds and other reptiles.

You forgot to say "NO", didn't you ?
you know i actually did forget that , ill try again tomorrow dont wanna put him through to much stress but i think saying a big loud "no" and then sticking my hand in his face just might work , i mean we all react well when someone sticks their hand in our face

I have always given my snakes a written copy of the protocols of our house when they first arrive, and tell them to keep them in their hides for future reference if ever they're in doubt about what to do in a certain situation...

Rule 1: DO NOT crap in your hide...

Jamie :)

Hey everybody, being from Latin American I have kept an array of gorgeous species of snakes. To be honest I relate the attitude of the Amathystine python to that of the juvinile green anaconda, they are only doing what comes natural to them, they have no voice to yell "I'm really annoyed", no arms to keep you at distance, all they have are those hundred or so backwards curved teeth to inflict a "please leave me alone or I'll kick your butt" bite. From my experience( ps I've been keeping snakes since I was 9 and I'm now 25) you have to get a scrub python into a routine, it's about when you pet them, when we feed them and how we interact with them and interpret their behavior.............Long story short, you can never fully domesticate a wild animals instincts, never let your guard down because when you do that's when all sorts of stuff is gonna hit the fan.

Right, so this scrub python I'm meant to calm down is at work and that meant I'd only be handling him intermittently (I work maybe 1-2 days a week), which I didn't think was enough to get him used to people. The other staff are petrified of him and won't want to touch him.

So now I've asked my boss if I can babysit him for six months, where he'll get short periods of handling daily (unless feeding and shedding) and will be in a relatively high traffic area so he can observe people. I don't know if that will help in any way, but surely it can't hurt?
All I need is to hunt down an enclosure (he's in a big bank atm), fix it up with lots of hides and get a steady temp. Can people recommend a good temp for scrubs to be kept at in Melbourne, Vic? I've heard low thirties but want to double check. And any other special husbandry needs or similar to other carpets?
This way I can handle him more, observe his behaviours, check temperature regularly and make sure he has routine feeding.

Oh my god, I'm gonna be living with a scrub python O.O
This is so exciting!! What a good test to see whether I want one later in life!
=D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back