Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamie, maybe your scrubs are just mental becuase you don't give them any UV and they are depressed.

Joemal... O.O

I may have just changed my mind...

Losing blood is just part of keeping Scrubs, a decent bite from a 1.5m specimen will come close to that.
That's a nice bite, but it could have been much worse, especially if it were to happen to a novice
(who would most likely freak out and pull away)

If that photo put you off, then with all due respect, I would reconsider this offer.

Losing blood is just part of keeping Scrubs, a decent bite from a 1.5m specimen will come close to that.
That's a nice bite, but it could have been much worse, especially if it were to happen to a novice
(who would most likely freak out and pull away)

If that photo put you off, then with all due respect, I would reconsider this offer.

A photo like that is a little (a lot) nerve-wracking, but doesn't really put me off! Just a bit of a "what have I gotten myself into?" moment =) I know that with a scrub I'm not likely to come out injury free and I'm prepared for that. Just the magnitude of the bite is amazing! If I was scared of losing blood, I would stick with stimmies. Saw a gruesome photo of Joemal after a foodie olive bite, no way that's gonna put me off keeping mine!

I'm very excited to be housing a scrub for a while. Scared, but thrilled to have such an intense animal. That picture is more evidence why I should never let my guard around this snake. Maybe I'll have some cool pics of my own to share?

Jamie, maybe your scrubs are just mental becuase you don't give them any UV and they are depressed.

I think you've hit the nail on the head jp2! Damn...I've fallen for that old trick that snakes don't need UV, and look what's happened :(! I think I'll give it all away - I've learnt nothing in the last 50 years :(.

Seriously, to sum up, Scrubs are truly majestic snakes - they are gorgeous looking with that beautiful amethyst/purple sheen, they are the most constantly watchful and alert snake I've ever known, and they have personalities to match. Not only do they deserve respect - the command it, and if you don't give them what they deserve in the way of respect, you'l eventually pay a price. These characteristics largely outweigh the difficulty of managing them if they feel feisty. Mine are only around 2.5m atm (I'm not power feeding lol!), but they are a handful when it comes to cage cleaning time, and I can say unequivocally that I have to be in the right frame of mind to get in there and do it... (A few words with self-bignoting 16yos can put me in exactly the right frame of mind lol)!

I'm sure that your journey with this animal will be an enjoyable and interesting one StellaDoore, all you need to be aware of is the need for constant vigilance, and never take them for granted, especially as they reach adulthood.

Jamie

View attachment 261128View attachment 261129

This is what happens when you say no to a Scrub .She wanted to do her own thing while out and i said no and look what happened LOL .

Haha Joe! That'll teach ya for sticking your hand in her face to calm her! Next time you do it, try saying "Bitch please! Talk to the hand!" I "guarantee" that will work. Please note, my guarantee does not cover not getting bitten.

I honestly can't believe that even when a keeper moves from the smaller pythons to something as advanced as a scrubbie, they still believe in over-handling an animal to "tame it down".. By this stage of your keeping experience, you should realise that it is all bs. Handling a scrubbie in a pillow case and/or on the couch whilst you watch TV, or taking it for "walkies" (what the..?) is not doing you or the snake any favours.

Scrub pythons have a reputation for a reason and if you buy one in the hopes of taming it down, then you really shouldn't purchase one in the first place. They are not teddy bears or puppies that like to cuddle and love you, they are emotionless animals that will always remain wild at heart and can never be trusted no matter what.

are scrubies strong enough to over power and kill a full grown man?

Yes, there is at least 1 recorded death of an adult male by his scrubbie. Bit him on the face and constricted him - eventually he died by asphyxiation.

obviously they are seeing that Eric Ardmassen was killed by one. granted that he was apparently intoxicated at the time of his death.
if thats the guy that worked at the venom lab then i read a post written by a friend of his in an old thread on here , basically to sum it up he said he wasnt intoxicated and the media ran wild with that story saying a whole load of crap

I seen both captive bred scrub pythons and wild collected kept in outdoor aviaries in north QLD and can’t say I have seen them act any different in regards to their willingness to give you an instant red tattoo when messed with. I have generally found if you are quick enough in catching scrub pythons with little fuss, you can normally get away with it without seeing bad behaviour. However they are very willing to turn on you with very little provocation and of course that can be terrible. I know of bites causing permanent injury. (John Robinsons hand as one example). Generally speaking though from doing heaps of removals, the bigger they are the quieter they are. Would I ever trust a large wild Scrub python, No way Hoesay, a hundred and twenty teeth can hurt.

Their teeth aren't only sharp, they are also solid and strong - if you see the skull of a Scrub compared to that of a large Carpet, you can see where the potential for serious injury comes from.

Jamie

obviously they are seeing that Eric Ardmassen was killed by one. granted that he was apparently intoxicated at the time of his death.

I was told the same thing and aired it on here earlier - I think the link to the thread was posted somewhere in this thread. Needless to say I was wronger than wrong, and a friend of his set us all straight in the thread. The 'intoxicaton' myth was perpetrated by the media, who were mostly denied access to the property but skulked around anyway, on their skulking they came across a bin of cans he'd collected over months (or years, can't remember which) and ran with it. From first-hand accounts he was a very capable keeper and for the media to insinuate he was drunk while handling his scrub hurt those close to him a lot.

Renenet posted the link 'close calls with big snakes' on page 2 of this thread. There's more to the story but it'd be best to hear it from there.

Last edited:
I was told the same thing and aired it on here earlier - I think the link to the thread was posted somewhere in this thread. Needless to say I was wronger than wrong, and a friend of his set us all straight in the thread. The 'intoxicaton' myth was perpetrated by the media, who were mostly denied access to the property but skulked around anyway, on their skulking they came across a bin of cans he'd collected over months (or years, can't remember which) and ran with it. From first-hand accounts he was a very capable keeper and for the media to insinuate he was drunk while handling his scrub hurt those close to him a lot.

i dont find that hard to believe, the media never lets the truth get in the way of a good story.

from what i read in the post that his friend made , one media group which he didnt name actually went as far as breaking into the guys house and moved around objects to make the story look better

Haha Joe! That'll teach ya for sticking your hand in her face to calm her! Next time you do it, try saying "Bitch please! Talk to the hand!" I "guarantee" that will work. Please note, my guarantee does not cover not getting bitten.

I missed getting a pic of what happened after she bit me .The pic of her near my hand was when she was coming back over to me
as if to say sorry, she rested her head on my hand (not the bite one) and sat there for a few minutes .She is the genuine good one minute evil the next type of snake .I have lost count of the times she has turned from good to bad in the blink of an eye .The scariest was one day i was cleaning her cage (half way in there) i had only just put her back and she was having a good girl day hense me being in there cleaning while she was up the other end (2.4 mtrs away) .I remember seeing her out the corner of my eye just sitting there watching me clean when all of a sudden she had launched at my face mouth wide open .Now this snake was 8 ft away from me but in an instant she was a tongues length from my face with her mouth wide open .To this day i don't know why she pulled up her strike just before biting me but maybe it was her way of saying " i could have had you if i wanted to ". Personally i would take a fiesty scrub over a placid one any day .You know from day one where you stand with them
and can never use the excuse "it has always been placid so why did it turn on me out of the blue".Good luck StellaDoore you are in a snakey relm where alot of keepers fear to tread LOL .....

Good luck StellaDoore you are in a snakey relm where alot of keepers fear to tread LOL .....
im one of those scaredy cats , after having a coastal that isnt even that big (bout 1.6m) start playing tricks on me i realised i could never handle one of them , i dont have many friends that are game enough to even handle my little womas let alone help out with a scrub and after feeling the strength just my coastal has , i couldnt imagine what an angry scrub would be like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back