Force feeding/Assisted feeding Ideas.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Static89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a 6 month old atherton jungle that has refused 7 out of 8 feeds. and has been force fed the other 7 times. Im giving it a week before I attempt to offer him food due to the recently getting the little guy and the stress of rehousing ( is currently covered with a towel in his click clack on a heat mat @ 28 degree's).

After doing bunch of research before i decided to take him on. i have decided ill see what has worked for other people as well. The things im going to try are. using pinky mice first, scented with various prey items. bird feathers/shed lizard skin ( both preferably fresh) as well as popping/cutting the pinky head to get the gooy smelly enticing juices out of it. im going to offer once a week for 3 weeks, after the third week im going to attempt force feeding. then start the process again.

If anyone has any other pointers or ideas to try im more then willing to give it a try.

Mark.

Seven assist feeds in six months? That seems unnecessarily excessive.
Quail works pretty well a lot of times. A good local pet store should stock it.

First step would be to crank that temp right up and getting him eating on his own.

Bumping up the temperature to 32C would be the best start, leave that for a week and go from there.

If it is only 6 months old the moron who had it before you obviously had no idea because it would have survived a year without needing food jammed down its gob. Now how to look after it, leave it alone for three weeks and raise the temp up to32 degrees. If you did research you would no that 28 for a hatchie is to low you need to give enough heat to them to bring on the hunger. If the little guy won't take defrosted mice give it a live fuzzy. Drop it into the click clack and leave it alone for 24 hrs the mouse will survive that long without worry unless snake gets hungry first. The other things you can try are day old quaill or finch nestlings once again if it won't take dead try live in this instance I believe it's warranted. Try everything you can before force feeding as the little guy can go many months on what he's already had

Ok so I'll kick the force feeding back for 6 months. I knew as soon as I was told about the force feedings it was to much. I will get the heat up tomorrow morning to 32 as I'm not home right now. I will try pinkies by themselves after 3 weeks or warm heat and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

Put the hot spot up to something more like 34-35 degrees, the quicker you get it eating on it's own the better, just make sure it has an adequate cooler end, but not too cool.

If it is only 6 months old the moron who had it before you obviously had no idea because it would have survived a year without needing food jammed down its gob. Now how to look after it, leave it alone for three weeks and raise the temp up to32 degrees. If you did research you would no that 28 for a hatchie is to low you need to give enough heat to them to bring on the hunger. If the little guy won't take defrosted mice give it a live fuzzy. Drop it into the click clack and leave it alone for 24 hrs the mouse will survive that long without worry unless snake gets hungry first. The other things you can try are day old quaill or finch nestlings once again if it won't take dead try live in this instance I believe it's warranted. Try everything you can before force feeding as the little guy can go many months on what he's already had

Live feeding is a) illegal, b) unethical and c) a good way to get your snake injured.

Seems like you're stressing both of you out by force feeding so often. The first step would've been bumping up the temps, then offering different food items, THEN considering force feeding, and only after he's refused food for a few months.

Seems like you're stressing both of you out by force feeding so often. The first step would've been bumping up the temps, then offering different food items, THEN considering force feeding, and only after he's refused food for a few months.

I got him yesterday. I simply took him off the original owners hands. I dont like the idea of force feeding. and it will be a last resot for this situation. As soon as im home i will be adjusting the temp to suit. and then leave him relax for 3 weeks as Wrightpython suggested. before i even start to offer food.

Live feeding is a) illegal, b) unethical and c) a good way to get your snake injured.

if the situation comes to it. i will offer live food. call it unethical if you want but if its the only way to get this animal feeding then i will try it.

It's winter,and the temp is set to 28...no need to stress at all mate, try again in October.

It's also d)allowed if the life of the snake is deemed at risk

i thought that was the case. i seem to remember reading something on either DERM or RSPCA about offering live food is an aceptable practise if nothing else has worked.

Live feeding is a) not illegal if reptile will not take dead food b) is it more ethical to allow snake to die c) a hatchie won't get hurt by a fuzzie mouse d ) get of your high horse and into the real world where not all roses smell sweet and sometimes you have to stretch the rules to keep family and pets healthy. No one enjoys feeding live but for Juvie pythons sometimes you have to.

...Drop it into the click clack and leave it alone for 24 hrs the mouse will survive...

24 hours?
Isn't that too long?
shouldn't it also be supervised?

Only asking this cause I've read few posts here, recently, people lost their snakes to live feeding.

I've never live fed, I was told to be inhumane and illegal...

We've established it's not actually illlegal in most states in many,many other threads. A few keepers will tell you it's an option, and...meh. I have a problem with it,have never done it and never will, and haven't lost a snake yet. I guess ultimately its your call...but it's way too early to think about resorting to it yet.

24 hours?
Isn't that too long?
It should it also be supervised?

Only asking this cause I've read few posts here, recently, people lost their snakes to live feeding.

I've never live fed, I was told to be inhumane and illegal...
It's a fuzzy mouse with no teeth and no sight or sound I hardly believe it will suck the hatchie to death. It won't be stalking your snake like a tiger in the jungle, im not saying to leave a fullgrown rat with a six month old hatchie. Nothing in humane about it, it's called life and death and it's never been illegal, even RSPCA website advises its legal to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back