DIY Rock Walls

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaneb what do you pay for universal rock/ where is a supplier? id be interested if they arnt insanely pricey. .

my apologies for obviously upsetting a few of you that wasn't my intention. I have never built a rock wall, I have no desire to... & yes I imagine if I 'had a go' it would end up just like most on this forum. This is precisely my point, they look ****e, but I have never claimed to be an expert of the construction of them. I buy Universal Rock products as they look the real thing.

Oh, whoever asked me to keep my opinion to myself will have to remain disappointed, I'm entitled to it, just as you are yours :)
so i was right then , you only criticise when you've never actually done it for yourself

maybe don't be so critical about something you've never done , its kinda like putting crap on football players for dropping the ball when you cant play for crap yourself

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. My opinion of you is that you're a grumpy old mofo. Point of this thread? None.

Shaneb what do you pay for universal rock/ where is a supplier? id be interested if they arnt insanely pricey. .

id like to know also as when i have bought it in the past its all been over $150 rite up to $500

WHERE ARE THEY! (husky batman voice!)

Have a look on their website, pretty sure they have a supplier in all states. I bought a 4'x2' background a few months ago for about $220 in Adelaide (Mooringie Ave, Plympton).

I'll probably be sourcing materials from "Adelaide Moulding and Casting Supplies" and use the above Universal panels with some ledge modifications as my template for applying the latex/resins, at least that's the plan. They are expensive, though, but hold up to lacie claws very well. Another alternative is to mould from natural rock faces/ termite mounds, etc.

I don't have much of a "collection" as such, so I don't mind the expense.

shaneb, personally i don't give a toss if what i make for my dragons and pythons looks fake. cause my pets never complain about it, they use the stuff i make. also i put time and effort into my suff and its so much cheaper than the shop. i don't have money coming out of my *** for caves, rocks, rockwalls ect. i have in the past payed for this stuff a small hide cost me $35 if i make it myself its less than $5. i have paid $200 on a rockwall and can make my own for $30.

have you ever thought that some of us like the fake look. i know some people even make lounges for there dragons and pyramids/ temples for dragons and snakes ect and they look awsome.

to everyone out there who takes the time, effort and pride in their work keep doing it. it looks great.

Have a look on their website, pretty sure they have a supplier in all states. I bought a 4'x2' background a few months ago for about $220 in Adelaide (Mooringie Ave, Plympton).

Shane, I agree that universals have some stunning pieces but the cost is out of reach for a lot of people, they have things like kids and mortgages to worry about, as for failing to look like real rock there is one thing you're forgetting about, the camera ! Some of my photos look nothing like the real colour and I've tried all sorts of settings to improve it and failed, a lot of people use artificial light and flash on the camera and it changes a lot of the color.
If you are cashed up and time poor then buy universal rocks. I can afford to buy them but the satisfaction and stress relief I get from DIY is priceless. I for one will continue to make them and share my triumphs and failures to all.

oKAY Ive had a squizz and some of those walls are poo but some are insane.. im scared to ask howmuch the 2.1 high with water fall walls cost but im thinking it will be amazing in an outdoor EWD enclosure.. i might have to buy one.. i think its the same as the one at gully reptile centa?

oKAY Ive had a squizz and some of those walls are poo but some are insane.. im scared to ask howmuch the 2.1 high with water fall walls cost but im thinking it will be amazing in an outdoor EWD enclosure.. i might have to buy one.. i think its the same as the one at gully reptile centa?

The Universal panels I posted earlier were $1200 ea (think of all the herps you can buy with that), but have been well used with the added benefit that they retain heat long into the afternoon and provide a north facing windbreak which is a big issue locally for my animals.

Nothing better than watching the old boy fall asleep in the afternoon sun on his favourite spot:)!

Attachments

• Goblin 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    Goblin 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Borry 004 [1600x1200].jpg
    Borry 004 [1600x1200].jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back