How often should i feed my woma

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andynic07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have been feeding my woma once a week and thought that I would try to cut him back to once a fortnight. I usually feed him on a Thursday night and it is now the following Saturday morning and as usual I get him out for some handling and sun. He just lay there stretched out across my lap taking in the sun with his head resting in my palm. He slowly started pushing his nose into my palm and then slowly opened his mouth and tried eating my hand. I thought this was pretty funny and left him to gradually work his way up to my finger. Once he grabbed my finger he latched on and was showing no signs of letting go so I thought I would take him to his enclosure and he might have let go (not really sure what my reasoning was there though). He then proceeded to wrap around my hand. He was there quite a while before he gave up trying to eat my finger and then I was able to unwrap him. I was wondering if you guys thought this was tied up with skipping a feed or just a coincidence.

I have been feeding my woma once a week and thought that I would try to cut him back to once a fortnight. I usually feed him on a Thursday night and it is now the following Saturday morning and as usual I get him out for some handling and sun. He just lay there stretched out across my lap taking in the sun with his head resting in my palm. He slowly started pushing his nose into my palm and then slowly opened his mouth and tried eating my hand. I thought this was pretty funny and left him to gradually work his way up to my finger. Once he grabbed my finger he latched on and was showing no signs of letting go so I thought I would take him to his enclosure and he might have let go (not really sure what my reasoning was there though). He then proceeded to wrap around my hand. He was there quite a while before he gave up trying to eat my finger and then I was able to unwrap him. I was wondering if you guys thought this was tied up with skipping a feed or just a coincidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, he is 20 months old and eating one weener rat a week.

Attachments

• 2012-09-01_09-31-15_449.jpg
    2012-09-01_09-31-15_449.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 2012-09-01_09-31-23_882.jpg
    2012-09-01_09-31-23_882.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 2012-09-01_09-34-41_663.jpg
    2012-09-01_09-34-41_663.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 111
The feed is not the issue, what you have experienced is typical Woma behaviour!

i dont keep womas but yes once every 10-14 days is ok for feeding. He looks in shed to me so he would'nt have been himself. Wait till he has shed then offer again. I feed my 19 month old bredli once every 10-14 days and my 10 year old diamond once a month. He might also be getting too big for weaners( my bredli eats adult).

i dont keep womas but yes once every 10-14 days is ok for feeding. He looks in shed to me so he would'nt have been himself. Wait till he has shed then offer again. I feed my 19 month old bredli once every 10-14 days and my 10 year old diamond once a month. He might also be getting too big for weaners( my bredli eats adult).
Yeah i noticed his eyes cloudy. I might try feeding him bigger rats now I am moving to fortnightly feeding.

Wow, kinda funny you should mention this happening. Just the other day my woma was doing the same thing, yet i still feed him every week. i didnt think to get a picture tho.

But as said just a woma thing to really.

Not just woma behaviour,ants are very good at it as well,although most types of pythons will do it as well.

20months old on weaner rats. Sounds like you could feed him more rather than less. My 8-10month old hatchies from last season are feeding on larger food than that.

I'd certainly move him up a couple of sizes

If you dont mind the cost weaners are good because they dont have the fat like some of the next size up. Even my six foot womas only get rats just two weeks past weaned buti give them 3 or 4

My Woma starts trying to eat my hand when i hold her the day before feeding day. It just means they are hungry. Running their head under water can get them to let go if you are having trouble getting them off. Other methods i have read about are to put some f10 on the corners of their mouth or spray them with water.

Last edited:
My woma is 500grams and the weener rat is 47grams but I was going up one size but what weight should I be feeding him then?

Lol that's will teach u when they are hungry I fed my woma 8mths old 1 weaner rat after that she look at me like a rat like saying I want other one lol I gave her other one then she went for it then she is happy went back to her hide lol boy she gave this stare at me like no thxs I don't want to be eaten I will give u other weaner rat they are real pigs lol

Thanks for all of the input guys, just updating you all on what I have decided to do. Since I am starting to breed rats I have just built a CO2 euthanasia device to kill my rats and decided to test it out. The closest rat I had to the size I was after was 160g and the CO2 machine worked a treat. My woma loved the freshly killed rat but took about 45 min to eat it. I have decided now to feed him a similar size rat every two weeks. I figured just over 20% every two weeks is an increase on 10% every week. Thank you all again for the input it really gave me different opinions to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back