live feeding laws

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cold-B-Hearts

can someone refresh my mind on the live feeding laws. i live in qld
is it illegal unless a last resort?
cheers liam

no its not its only a recommendation and is not enforceable by law so if you really really wanted to you could live feed every feed

Can I feed live mice to a reptile? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

have a read of that link , notice the last sentence , "However, these codes of practice are not enforceable by law and are therefore recommendations only." it is not illegal just frowned upon

Thanks guys. My python just accepted a rat for the first time since may, was starting to get worried about him, I researched a lot on the safest technique. Hopefully I'll be able to straiten up his strike response and get him to accept frozen thawed

I think everyones pythons will shortly be, or have only recently started to, accept food again for the first time since May. I have found that even if kept warm and not cooled, they still know it's winter, and most of them simply wont eat.

I am amazed that people need a law to make them act ethically. Isn't it straight forward that you minimise suffering be it man or animal? If a rodent can be killed humanely rather than in a frightening environment of a reptile cage then that has to be better.

It's no less "ethical" than keeping and breeding rodents in small tubs.

If I needed to I wouldn't hesitate to feed live, anyone here who says different is full of it.

It's no less "ethical" than keeping and breeding rodents in small tubs.

If I needed to I wouldn't hesitate to feed live, anyone here who says different is full of it.

The ethics of other actions is being discussed and has no bearing here.

The ethics of other actions is being discussed and has no bearing here.

The point was that a small rodent keeping/ breeding tub is no more natural to a rodent than a snake cage is. While it's not inhumane as such I doubt the rodents actually enjoy the way we keep and breed them.

To be honest i would be more worried about the rodent fighting back, it probably wont win but it could definitely leave a few scars or damage to the snakes eyes and face.

I feed my snakes freshly killed ratties n mice, take outta container, smack on the head n feed, yummo, I CO2 some of them, and yes i feed new born mice n rats to ma bubs and smaller snakes ALIVE omg, would definately not feed larger mice and or rats purely due to injuring my reps

thats me anyways hope this helps

I feed my snakes freshly killed ratties n mice, take outta container, smack on the head n feed, yummo, I CO2 some of them, and yes i feed new born mice n rats to ma bubs and smaller snakes ALIVE omg, would definately not feed larger mice and or rats purely due to injuring my reps

thats me anyways hope this helps
+1 I wouldnt of risked it with bigger food items I fed a 25g rat doing this I stuck a pencil in the rats mouth untill it passed

Liam, Sorry, I can't quite understand your last comment there. Are you saying you choked a rat by sticking a pencil down its throat?

Liam, Sorry, I can't quite understand your last comment there. Are you saying you choked a rat by sticking a pencil down its throat?
no he means its something you can do if you do feed live , once the snake has striked and coiled the rodent if the heads free you quickly put a blunt pencil sideways in its mouth , it should bite down and stop it from biting the snake

Liam you could just try fresh kill Like Ray said. Take the rodents to the snakes live, and donk them right before giving to your snake so that they are still spasming. The snake will be thinking it is getting a live feed, and you won't have to worry about the pencil. I often feed fresh kill like this.

Won't take fresh killed either. The only time I can get any sign of intrest is when there's a live rat or mouse in there. Either way he's eaten and im not satisfied. Thomassss is correct.
Thanks for the heads up guys

no he means its something you can do if you do feed live , once the snake has striked and coiled the rodent if the heads free you quickly put a blunt pencil sideways in its mouth , it should bite down and stop it from biting the snake

Right. Happy to have misinterpreted that.

Thanks guys. My python just accepted a rat for the first time since may, was starting to get worried about him, I researched a lot on the safest technique. Hopefully I'll be able to straiten up his strike response and get him to accept frozen thawed

Did you try freshly killed rats? When you first knock a rat their nerves will kick their legs, and being warm and fresh blood, perhaps that might be an option, too, if you hadn't already tried that of course. But if you really need to offer a live rat, don't ever leave him unattended. keep something like a pencil handy, if a rat tries to bite your snake you can place a stick in its jaws so that it can't clamp down on your snake. Just offering some thought for next time, or others reading this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back