Tomato coloured Brown Tree Frog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vicherps

Reaction score
A little less than a month ago whilst with richoman_3 whilst on the way to wombat state park my dad took a bit of a wrong turn and went in the wrong direction and went down some road and then decided to stop as there were sheets of wood on the ground. Under them lay several very beautiful reddy-brown Southern Brown Tree Frogs (Litoria ewingii). We latter found others of similar colour nearby. It appears red in the photo but it was more reddy brown but quite different from any other brown tree i have seen. Perhaps richoman could post his much better photos at some date. But i would like to know if any other people have encountered any specimens like this.

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 158
Nice photos,

I have seen on a few occasions pink and also reddish brown green tree frogs when flipping logs for work, much the same colour as your initial photos, however they later coloured up green and you wouldn't have guessed their earlier colours.

Are you sure it's a Brown tree frog? I thought they were supposed to have a pale white strip running from their mouth or eye to forearm :)

Are you sure it's a Brown tree frog? I thought they were supposed to have a pale white strip running from their mouth or eye to forearm :)
Most do but on this one it seems to be more faded out, but it ain't a verreauxii because the pads are slightly wider than the digits (which I inspected) and it was not in the distribution of paraewingii making it a ewingii.

There still is a bit of white but a bit further back (corner of mouth) which is intermixed a bit with red but inbetween the corner of mouth and forearm it's more visible and it is edge with brown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back