Methinks I am going to need an incubator, and soon...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMyers

Reaction score
After freaking out about my underage (read: teenage) olive pythons bumping uglies a few weeks back, the general consensus here was for me to stop being one of those fathers... as they were too young to do anything more than 'practice'. So far so good, in that department.

However, whilst being distracted by the clear and obvious love-bunnies in the top cage, I really should have been paying more attention to the shy, quiet types residing a few feet below. I now have an apparently gravid pygmy python, and no set-up to accommodate the resulting eggs. Looks like I'm off to the shops to spend a small fortune... At least, as far as I can gather from literature, I have about a month after she sheds before an incubator will be required. Probably not wise to waste any time though.

I'll let you all know the results. Whether or not I am correct in my assumptions of her being gravid too... I don't mind being made to look a fool if she really is just fat. May not tell her that, though :p

Well I guess if she's gravid, good luck! Keep us updated, I'm curious now. <3 pygmy pythons. :lol:

Congratulations (possibly, hopefully)! Any pictures of this gravid/fat snake?

If money is tight, apparently you can make your own incubator. I've been meaning to look into it but haven't had the time (not really an issue for me this season anyway). There's a few threads on APS about how to do it.

Other then the cost of a decent thermostat, incubators are very cheap to make.

I guess depending on the number of viable hatchlings, if all goes well I will probably be offloading a few once they reach the 9 month mark and are eating properly. Not really at the stage were I'm thinking about that though.

I do have a bar fridge with perfect seals that I'm not using at the moment... perhaps I should just knock it up with a thermostat and a heat globe, as suggested above, and go from there.

I'll snap off a pic of the girl shortly and see if I can post it up here.

EDIT: Perhaps I should wait an hour or so, until they stop humping... again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back