Diary of my first reptile-related DIY project

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 2 of those magnetic shelves renenet, they are fantastic. my jungle loves his... The guys on ebat that have them have all different sizes, colours and shapes, and depending what you are putting in there they also have some fantastic water ledges.

Any chance of a link I am having trouble finding any listings...

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone.

glad to see someone has the guts to drill holes in a glass tank, you did some serious research lol. you got the same vents I did just I went the black ones haha at $2 a pair it's the cheapest anywhere isn't it

There's two or three very good fact sheets on the internet about drilling into glass. Without them I would have been lost.

My local Bunnings only had one pair of black, so I had to go for the white. I nearly cleaned them out of stock.

Magnaturals have some good shelves, and othr things, like hides and water bowls which are pretty cool, but they are in America so the postage might be high.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Bunnings only had one pair of black, so I had to go for the white. I nearly cleaned them out of stock.
If people are after smaller items maybe we should start asking who has what, my local bunnings currently has a full box of black vents lol

Oooh. Thanks for the links to the magnetic shelves. I will have to check those out when I get a moment.

no probs hun! the guy usually has a few and his delivery times are exceptional!

This is my jungle on his. He loves climbing around on it and sits there most of the time.

P1060283.JPG

If you go to Magnaturals and email them it's possible to get the shelves with extra strength magnets so they will hold more than 2kgs.

If you go to Magnaturals and email them it's possible to get the shelves with extra strength magnets so they will hold more than 2kgs.

oh thats awesome, I was wondering what id do if he got to big for them, but i thought they were sold with the extra strength magnets.. Thats what the package on mine said?

I emailed them, you either order the large shelf with the extra strength mags included, or you buy the mags for about $5 or else if you email them directly they will upgrade the magnets on a standard shelf for a small extra cost...

"Yes you can. You will need to place the order directly with us, not through the site. The additional cost is $4.40 per ledge.

Let us know if you would like to place the order and we will get you an invoice and payment instructions. Please provide your exact shipping address and exactly what you want to order.

Best regards,
Mark Rose
Pet-Tech Products
818-781-3892

Last edited by a moderator:
aah, as I have the large shelf already i would have the extra strength magnets! Thanks Gruni!

oh i forgot to mention, this shelves are easy to cut too if you find the size is a bit of and still look great!

It's been a while since I've been able to update this thread. The first year of uni has been a killer (and will continue to be until mid-November). I do have a week off now and although I have to study, I am determined to finish this enclosure project as well!

I finished the frames for the lids a long time ago. The next step was to stretch some shade cloth across each frame and nail it on with those traditional shade cloth fasteners. I used a light colour because it looks brighter.
DSC_0189.jpg
I'm now gluing thin strips of wood over the top of where I nailed in the shade cloth. I think it will make it look neater, reinforce the frame and secure the shade cloth.

I have a few accessories to put in it, including a Magnaturals ledge, but I can't decide on substrate. I want a natural look but I'm reluctant to use sand because I tend to choke on it when I have to do a substrate change. Someone suggested large laterite pebbles (pea gravel), but when I asked the local landscape place if they stocked it, they had no idea what I was talking about. I'm open to suggestions. :)

Thanks,
Ren

Attachments

• DSC_0188.jpg
    DSC_0188.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0195.jpg
    DSC_0195.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 105
Looking good, would love to see the finished product!

Here is mine, it's bought though :/

Planning to make it look a lot better inside...

Attachments

• DSCF0047[1].jpg
    DSCF0047[1].jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCF0048[1].jpg
    DSCF0048[1].jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 156
What are you going to put in there, Sabohan?

If you look closely to the right, near the probe, there is a baby Bredli :D. Gonna keep him in there until he is big enough to move out! Don't worry about the lights, Flynn won't go anywhere near them...Too hot for his liking :)

Gosh, if you hadn't pointed Flynn out, I wouldn't have seen him - he looks like an extension of the log.

Where did you get the stand from and how much did it cost you? I need one to put the "new" enclosure on.

Gosh, if you hadn't pointed Flynn out, I wouldn't have seen him - he looks like an extension of the log.

Where did you get the stand from and how much did it cost you? I need one to put the "new" enclosure on.

Well the stand and enclosure (including lights) came all together from the breeder I got Flynn from, he builds them himself (cost $480) but unfortunately they don't have a website or anything, but are very well known breeders who have a shop...I don't know if they freight but look at 'Scaled & Tails Adelaide' in google, give Gavin a ring and ask if he willing is to freight. I am sorry if you can't get the stand.

Last edited:
I found a stand. Someone built it for me, but I varnished it:

DSC_0065.jpg

I put some grippy rubber feet on it, partly to protect the wood, partly to stop the stand from slipping:

DSC_0060.jpg DSC_0063.jpg DSC_0062.jpg DSC_0061.jpg

I just saw my old post, after that email when I tried to order the shelf they then informed me that they do not ship to Australia which really p'ed me off as there is an Australian seller on Ebay for them but not the extra strength magnets. I was also knarky about the fact I said in the original email that I was in Aus.

The stand looks good Renet keen to see how it all looks together with its resident. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back