Keeping a snake at work.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DThatch

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Hey guys, Just need some info on the laws regarding keeping a snake in a workplace? I work at PetBarn (a pet supplies shop) and my store manager wants me to try and get a snake in as the store animal. Although asking if i can keep a snake in a pet shop may seem like a silly question, believe it or not PetBarn doesnt actually sell animals (aside from fish) and so the snake will obviously not be for sale. Is a standard license enough to be able to keep a snake on the premises? It will of course be very well cared for by the whole team.

Quickest and easiest answer would be to contact National Parks (or whoever your licensing body is) then you would have a straight answer rather than educated guesses... not that I would be surprised if someone on here knew the definitive answer.

I think your boss needs to apply for a display license.

(cause you guys don't have a commercial license and even if you do, pet shops can only sell Children's, Stimsons etc. nothing else!)

So perhaps that's the only species you could keep/display in store - Best to contact DERM (old EPA).

Or you can start by calling Pet City, Pets Unleash or Pet Super Store. Thats what they have (for sale) and they can further explain it to you.

let us know the results

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Which store are you at?
Nth or Sth side?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a good chance the answer will be no - Underwood wasn't even able to get a temp display licence for one of the Fun Weekends.

Hey guys, Just need some info on the laws regarding keeping a snake in a workplace? I work at PetBarn (a pet supplies shop) and my store manager wants me to try and get a snake in as the store animal. Although asking if i can keep a snake in a pet shop may seem like a silly question, believe it or not PetBarn doesnt actually sell animals (aside from fish) and so the snake will obviously not be for sale. Is a standard license enough to be able to keep a snake on the premises? It will of course be very well cared for by the whole team.

Don't know the laws in Qld but illegal in NSW

I know for a fact a pet store in Capalaba (south east of brisbane) keeps a bearded dragon as a store pet, but im not sure if the laws are different for them. For all i know that may be illegal haha

After making sure the enclosure is lockable and safe
ask nicely and you may to so long as you guarantee the snake is not for sale or to elicit other sales of prohibited reptiles
The strict legal position a few years ago was NO
But local officials have a fair bit of leeway and asking nicely often works

Last edited:
If DERM say yes to "one" then the floodgates will open bringing all sorts of complications.....It's not like it used to be :(

I know for a fact a pet store in Capalaba (south east of brisbane) keeps a bearded dragon as a store pet, but im not sure if the laws are different for them. For all i know that may be illegal haha

Why would that be illegal? - They are allowed to sell them under their commercial license, they may choose not to sell a particular animal...
They're everywhere all over Sth Brissie.

After making sure the enclosure is lockable and safe...

I'm not starting an argument/disagreement here (far from my intentions) but a couple of the shops I mentioned above, have their pet childreni out and about for customers to hold/touch etc. - That's how I got my first snake bite by the way.:p

So they must be allowed, maybe cause they also have a commercial license?

You will need a Commercial License, and the animal will need to be "For Sale" - just put a huge price on it so it doesn't sell. You will only be allowed to have Stimsons, Childrens or Spotteds though. You won't be able to get a display permit and demonstrators can't do demonstrations inside pet stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back