News: Mystery over boy bitten by Inland Taipan

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All Australian snake venom (and, from memory, all "injected" poison) travels through the lymphatic system which is why it's relatively slow acting. A bite directly into a vein would kill you in minutes

It is right it moves in the lymph system until it reaches a lymph node that is when the problems start to become more noticable

Good to see the youg fella is still alive.
Oh and the teenager as well.

The "wildlife carer" knows her stuff.

Agreed, just saw her on TV. I think she likes snakes : )

Last edited:
i was just told the people that caught it was from reptile rescue Newcastle they identified it as inland tiapan and was taken too Australian reptile park

- - - Updated - - -

i spoke to hunter reptiles rescue thay where very defensive , and said we have no further questions you will have to speak to the police lol

Supposedly the snake is still in one peice. You'd hope they don't put it down. Hell, I'll give it a home :D

Boy bitten on hand by taipan at Kurri Kurri | News.com.au

Photo by News.com.au

540393-taipan.jpg

Hmmm, don't know about them venom gloves, even looks akward in the photograph.

All this speculation about the teen, do they have any reason for it? The media annoys me lol
They dont come out and say that the teen has an unlicensed venomous pet, but they put the ideas in ppls heads haha
Could be somebody elses escaped pet. Or many other possibilities.
Can the inland taipan survive in that area?

Just wondering, is there any chance at all that this inland taipan is just on "vacation?"
Maybe he's just an ilegal immigrant, send him to villawood detention centre hahah

Last edited:
Considering that all the mexicans are on their way home before the wet, it could also just be a hitch hiker that jumped ship???

Considering that all the mexicans are on their way home before the wet, it could also just be a hitch hiker that jumped ship???

I've heard things like that happen often enough with other species like cane toads. So why are they talking about this kid being in the wrong.

I never believed the hype about the media being full of **** until it happened to a mate of mine. my mate got raided by customs after he tried ordering a part for a paintball gun from overseas. When they searched his house all his firearms but one were registered. The newspaper made him look like some major gunrunner lol

I did a bit of reading, it takes less than 45 minutes to kill a man, I don't think it matters if it was in your hand, because the venom gets into your bloodstream...

To date there have been no human fatalities from inlan Taipan bites. In general you can not put a number or time frame on how long it takes for a snake bite to kill, because each bite has its own set of variables that make no 2 the same eg. amount of venom involed in the bite, bite location, the bitten persons age, health activity etc. dependent on circumstances envenomation can occur within seconds/ minutes or even hours.

I did a bit of reading, it takes less than 45 minutes to kill a man, I don't think it matters if it was in your hand, because the venom gets into your bloodstream...

That is where the first aid comes into play. The venom is not injected directly into the bloodstream. The idea of the pressure bandage is to slow down the lympathic system (I think) so you can get help before it reaches your bloodstream. As well the bandages it is advisable to remain as still as possible. The more you move the more it will trigger things to move faster.

I've heard things like that happen often enough with other species like cane toads. So why are they talking about this kid being in the wrong.

I never believed the hype about the media being full of **** until it happened to a mate of mine. my mate got raided by customs after he tried ordering a part for a paintball gun from overseas. When they searched his house all his firearms but one were registered. The newspaper made him look like some major gunrunner lol

No doubt the media are full of crap 99% of the time. That said, any word on how the kid got bitten? The combination of a bite plus the fact its an animal well outside its range point towards an illegal pet. Snakes are everywhere yet bites are relatively uncommon amongst those that dont play with them. Both factors combined are a little hard to ignore.

I read somewhere that a 27 year old man was being spoken to and a death adder was also found at a property?
Can't find it now, did anyone else see it? The report also said the teen was trying to feed it at the time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back