Monitor cage help (Spencers Monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieReptiles10

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi i am going to buy a spencers monitor but i need a cage and i dont have enough ground space. If i had a 8ft (2.4m) x 3ft (1 m) (LxW) enclosure with four levels with a ramp going up to each level would that suit a spencers monitor for all its life? So it would actually have 4 levels with 8ft (2.4m) x 3ft (1 m) (LxW) ground area on each level! Would that suit it for all its life? The ramps would probably be about 2ft wide! So each level would be about 2ft high so overall cage hight would be about 8ft high. Any help appreciated
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone??!

I would say no to that size enclosure, it sounds like either you don't have the monitor's best interests in mind or you haven't researched their requirements. Spencer's are a large monitor that are terrestrial, they roam large areas. Providing access ramps up to other levels isn't suitable, they need large floor space with a deep sand substrate. Maybe have a look at a Sand Monitor for that size enclosure, minus the ramps.

Another option could be some of the medium sized species like tristis, scalaris?

I would say no to that size enclosure, it sounds like either you don't have the monitor's best interests in mind or you haven't researched their requirements. Spencer's are a large monitor that are terrestrial, they roam large areas. Providing access ramps up to other levels isn't suitable, they need large floor space with a deep sand substrate. Maybe have a look at a Sand Monitor for that size enclosure, minus the ramps.

So would a sand monitor be ok in 8ft X 3ft X 2ft (LxWxH) for all of its life?

A sand monitor would be okay in a 8' x 3' enclosure for its life. However your 2' height is a bit of a worry, they love to burrow so you would need a deep sand substrate, 12" deep would be great as a minimum. This doesn't leave much room for the rest of the enclosure, can you make it higher, say 3' high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back