Steve Irwin's Wildlife Warriors a new series on Australia's Network Ten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I respected him greatly,and growing up watching his shows is probably where i got my fascination for reptiles.I definately didnt get it from my parents.
99% of the time i have nothing negative to say about his husbandry methods. Except when he visited Indonesia allegedly his interacting with orangutans caused some misscarriages because the animals were spooked.

Just out of interest, where can I find a record of Steve being against private reptile keeping?

I am not sure you will ever find an actual record as such, but more just archived comments from fellow herpers. I have also seen similar comments over the years, and from people whom I have no reason to not believe their word.

The following was posted to an old (now defunct) herp list in Feb 2003. I think it may provide a deeper insight into the aussie icon, than what has already been posted (at least in this thread).

Big thanks to Bigguy for kindly giving me permission to share this........

Bob Withey said:
I have been reading everyone's post regarding Steve Irwin and his Crocodile
Hunter shows. Most had valid points.

I have known Steve and his father Bob for nearly 25 years.
It was Steve's wife, Terri who saw the potential of Steve doing TV shows for
the USA market. The USA loved Crocodile Dundee and here was a living version.
She had the contacts and the drive to push Steve in that direction. The rest is
history.

The shows were always aimed at the overseas market with this mad, hypoactive
aussie, risking his life with the animals he loves so dearly. Here's where some
people are missing the point. The formula for his shows are aimed at the
ENTERTAINMENT side of things more so than educational wildlife documentaries.
The result is the highest paid herp in the world with his own action figure
dolls

I have been a professional reptile educator here in NSW for the last 15 years
and I cringe at some of Steve's comments, like crickey, all that croc wants to
do is bite my head off, or all it wants to do is kill me, or when handling red
bellied blacks if it bites my I am going to die. None of these statements are
aimed at Australian audiences to get them to love or respect reptiles. They are
aimed to impress the overseas market at the risks he is taking with these
animals. That's what's they love. That's what they pay him for.

As for Steve handling snakes on his shows. Yes all the scenes are set up and he
nearly always uses a tame captive bred snake or while overseas, snakes that have
had their venom glands removed. People, specially young boys see their hero
Steve picking up snakes with ease and the snakes just hang like spaghetti. They
try to imitate him as it looks so easy. The result here is lots a people are
getting bitten doing this all over the world. This is why they now state do not
try this at home at the start of his shows, but what boys ever listen.(This is a
major problem I have with his shows)

As for Steve in person. Be aware of one thing. He is totally anti amateur herp.
He, as his father before him think all amateurs are crooks and smugglers. Steve
constantly states this at zoo conference meetings. Many a herper returning from
a trip in North Queensland has been pulled over at road blocks after visiting
Steve's zoo. Coincidence, you be the judge. If you inform him while visiting
that you are a herp you will be quietly followed by one of his staff for the
rest of your stay there. Steve has even been known to tape peoples comments to
give to NPWS law enforcement officers.(I speak from personal experience here)

Regards
Bob

So thats just heresay isnt it, surely there would be more evidence than an annecdote,
no offence but how would you know if that wasnt just sour grapes.
Personally, I dont care about his opinions on the pet snake industry and all I can see evidence of,
is what he and his dad have done for the environment.

I've always thought (and still think) the bloke was a national embaressment. His primary goals were clearly self promotion and profit. The truth was (and is) a regular casualty.

There is nothing worse than seeing little "crikey clones" running around our National Parks in the guise of "eco-guides" ripping snakes and frill necks out of trees for photo opportunities for ignorant tourists. They get weeded out of the industry eventually but every new series of hysterical eco warrior-rubbish seems to spawn another generation of them.

I think of all the hard working, genuine naturalists and researchers in this country who struggle for funding and recognition of their good works while the general population (including Federal Ministers) listen to the drivel in these circus clown shows and I despair for the future of environmental protection in this country.

The real ecological work being done in this country is hard yakka, done in tough environments with minimal funding and support.

By all means enjoy the canned laughter and fraudulant set ups in the circus or the zoo but dont mistake this exhibition for genuine conservation work.

Flame on girls and boys.

So thats just heresay isnt it, surely there would be more evidence than an annecdote,

I reiterate, I am not sure you will ever find an actual record as such, but more just archived comments from fellow herpers.

Yes, this amounts to hearsay, but like I stated, I'm not sure you will ever find anything else.

Hang on, So Bob's personal experience is now hearsay?

Interesting point. Given that I posted Bob's post in it's unaltered entirety, rather than just relaying what I had read in my own words, technically I don't think it can be classed as hearsay. I'm also sure Bob wouldn't have a problem answering any queries about it.

Still, I guess it comes down to a case of he said/she said (as opposed to being citable proof), so it is up to the individual whose word they believe.

Thanks for that info, Rob n Son. Very interesting.

And regardless of his views on reptile keeping, it was a very tragic loss to lose this guy at such a young age. I can't help but wonder what he might be producing if he were alive today.

Thanks for that info, Rob n Son. Very interesting.

And regardless of his views on reptile keeping, it was a very tragic loss to lose this guy at such a young age. I can't help but wonder what he might be producing if he were alive today.

Jumping on blue whales from a stealth bomber?

SteveNT would you kindly inform the people of this forum what you personally have done for the conservation of our flora and fauna?

SteveNT would you kindly inform the people of this forum what you personally have done for the conservation of our flora and fauna?

Let me butt in here ... and I will tell you "Jimi" exactly what SteveNT is doing for conservation :)

SteveNT invites all interested parties to shares his travels and magnificent photos of some of the most precious magical places here on Earth and

guards them like a proud father with great love and kindness.

In my book that is the mark of a true conservationist: Share and Protect

Cheers
Sandee :)

My best, without seeking fortune or glory. I take a camera these days, but I dont sell the photos. See my threads.

Interesting, I've always considered myself a fan of his, but have never seen that post before, or heard any of it. If its true, it's pretty disappointing :\ makes him sound LAME lol

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people still 'discuss' this anymore, it comes up every now and again and it's always the same. At the end of the day he was, ultimately, doing it for the animal. He's probably the reason I got into reptiles and what he's done over the years, you must admit were pretty astonishing, in terms of getting people on board with conservation. In one way or another I think he's propelled our hobbie, deliberately or not doesn't really matter, and if we're going to talk about mis-handling of animals with Steve Irwin I think that he pales in comparison to some of these other presenters, Brady Barr in particular, with how he handled them.

He loved his animals and I respect him and what he's done for our country (tourism etc.) and our wildlife.

I don’t wish to buy into the argument per se. If you don’t like Steve Irwin’s method of in-your-face over-the-top presenting on his shows, then say so. However, to simply bag the man outright is to show your ignorance of his skills, knowledge and achievements. The projects that he was involved in, which were not filmed, is where the true measure of the man can be assessed. There is a difference between his life and his showmanship. I just think people should show respect where it is due. Or maybe that should be, do your homework before you open your mouth. And for those that are curious, no, I did not watch the show.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t wish to buy into the argument per se. If you don’t like Steve Irwin’s method of in-your-face over-the-top presenting on his shows, then say so. However, to simply bag the man outright is to show your ignorance of his skills, knowledge and achievements. The projects that he was involved in, which were not filmed, is where the true measure of the man can be assessed. There is a difference between his life and his showmanship. I just think people should show respect where it is due. Or maybe that should be, do your homework before you open your mouth. And for those that are curious, no, I did not watch the show.

Blue

Agreed, I can't fathom why so many hobbiests would be against someone showing reptiles in a positive light and trying to reverse the stigma attached to them.
People in this hobby seem to dismiss so many herpers simply because they are "mainstream" and think that the only valuable information or entertainment could come from lesser known names or people who show no emotion and speak in monotone voices.
Yes Steve was in your face and boisterous but so are people like Rob Bredl, and I honestly believe a lot of that emotion comes from excitement rather than faux showmanship.
And who really cares if the scenes were set and not in situ? Oh right, because you could go out there in thongs and catch that black mamba with nothing other than your lips while blindfolded right? :rolleyes:
He gave an alternate view on the common misconception that reptiles are bad, and I can only imagine how many people around the world gained an interest in reptiles because of him.

It's just another example of how a select few in the hobby think that because they have paid a fee for a reptile license it gives them the right to govern the actions of others and automatically makes them the ruling authority on the subject. While we are here why don't we start picking apart people who freehandle or even snake relocators? I'm sure some of the experts here can tell them what they are doing wrong and a better way to do it.:lol:

Ahhh hum...The Barefoot Bushman is def. nowhere near the same catergory as SI.

IMO ... Rob is just a larrikin ... LOL

[video=youtube;01hxqbs1vl0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01hxqbs1vl0[/video]

Yeah there are no similarities there whatsoever :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back