Steve Irwin's Wildlife Warriors a new series on Australia's Network Ten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end Steve was a father, a son, a husband to a few and a friend to so many people. They still miss him.

steve Irwins was fun and interesting to watch 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rip stevo:)

sorry about steve , but , "this show is best watched with the mute ON " from our 14yr old animal loving daughter .

I'm sure the GTP on your head is really enjoying it:rolleyes:

Hardly the same a a crocodile having a human hanging round it's neck.
You will have to ask Longqi if "they" are being tormented they are his snakes.

Hardly the same a a crocodile having a human hanging round it's neck.
You will have to ask Longqi if "they" are being tormented they are his snakes.

You're right, he did it for education.....you are doing it for an avatar.
Regardless of who owns the snake I doubt the GTP really felt at home on your head.

^^ Boat ride back this time mate??

Nah, came in by a tiny plane. Nice trip but the helicopter was better : )

- - - Updated - - -

You're right, he did it for education.....you are doing it for an avatar.
Regardless of who owns the snake I doubt the GTP really felt at home on your head.

Hardly did it for an avatar. Holding the snakes who decided my head was the place to be.
Maybe they like climbing, go figure?

I reiterate, I am not sure you will ever find an actual record as such, but more just archived comments from fellow herpers.

Yes, this amounts to hearsay, but like I stated, I'm not sure you will ever find anything else.

I worked as Steve's consultant vet for 7 years. I considered him a personal friend. I can state for a fact that he was not in favour of private keeping of reptiles. Any staff member that spoke of their own animals on his premises was reprimanded as it was a 'forbidden' topic on that premises. With regards to his behaviour with animals, he had empathy when it suited him but he did things to animals at times that were misinformed and often downright cruel. His behaviour towards humans was far worse.

[video=youtube;01hxqbs1vl0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01hxqbs1vl0[/video]

Yeah there are no similarities there whatsoever :rolleyes:

The only reason Steve Irwin was super famous and Rob Bredl's not (to the general public/idiot masses anyway) = discrimination against beards!;)

I can't pass judgement on what Steve Irwin was like as a person, I never met him, but like others have said, I greatly respect the positive effect he has had on the publics views towards reptiles in general. Methods aside, I think he should be commended for that.
And if he was a jerk, in his defense, being famous meant he met a lot of people. Mostly, people are idiots. There comes a point where (to save time, I imagine) he just started pre-judging everyone as an idiot and treating them as such.

I have noticed though that most of his shows are like a televised version of my childhood: go out in the scrub (or the backyard;)), catch something, torment it for a while, release.
I should add that I never intended to torment anything, but being a child that's just what I did. I thought I was being nice. I got bitten a lot, and in hindsight it served me right, I was just bloody lucky that I never found anything that could actually have killed me.

herpetology and beards should go hand in hand.
ericworrell_wideweb__470x379,0.jpg

snakehouse02.jpg

A92C9C83E4CE40B891A807CD456B9E07.jpg

If Your Dad Doesn't Have A Beard, You've Got Two Mums

Hardly did it for an avatar. Holding the snakes who decided my head was the place to be.
Maybe they like climbing, go figure?
The majority of the snakes i handle seem to like perching on top of my head.maybe the view is nice :p

I worked as Steve's consultant vet for 7 years. I considered him a personal friend. I can state for a fact that he was not in favour of private keeping of reptiles. Any staff member that spoke of their own animals on his premises was reprimanded as it was a 'forbidden' topic on that premises. With regards to his behaviour with animals, he had empathy when it suited him but he did things to animals at times that were misinformed and often downright cruel. His behaviour towards humans was far worse.

It's interesting because this description fits with various bits and pieces of hearsay I've heard in the years since he passed.

I won't write up much, because it is hearsay and as far as I know may well be entirely false, but does anyone know any info about the situation he became involved in when Green tree pythons first entered the hobby? i.e expert witness, breeding, alleged poaching and the likes?

I'm interested to hear about it if anyone knows or has heard of this (PM's if you don't want to put it in the thread).

I've also heard stories about his actions on some of the conservation properties he owned, once again unsure if this information is even true, however I heard rumours he much preferred jumping in a bulldozer and pushing tracks around the scrub rather then the usual conservation and research work.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts

J

what do yours mean he tormented aniamals, what do you think your doing when you put your aniamals in small cages and pull them out when you feel like it. STEVE IRWIN loved all aniamals and i never seen him hert any of them,half you people wouldent be interrested in reptiles if it wasent for people like steve,if youve got nothing nice to say about someone shut your hole

Personally, my love of wildlife stems more from the works of Sir David Attenborough; a wildlife presenter against whom Steve Irwin could never hope to hold a candle.

BRITISH wildlife guru Sir David Attenborough has paid tribute to Australia and his unconventional Aussie counterpart, the late Steve Irwin. The respected documentary maker, who turns 82 in May has made his first BBC program in 1954, spoke of his admiration for Irwin, killed in 2006 by a stingray barb to the chest.

"Steve Irwin spent a lot of his time and money in nature protection and calling people's attentions to the danger the natural world is in, so all credit to him,'' Attenborough told AAP.

"He did it in a way that I wouldn't do it, in fact he did it in a way that I couldn't do it. "

David Attenborough was an admirer of Steve Irwin to, but then, what would he know.

He may well be an admirer of the man. All well and good. It certainly doesn't negate the fact that Irwin pales in comparison to Attenborough. But maybe I erred in attempting to compare the two, as one educates while the other simply entertains...

I didnt think comparisons were being made and while i do agree with your last post PMyers, I also feel the same about SI as Attenborough, Give credit where credit is due, this thread was started by a young wildlife lover and fan of the Irwins,
Fair enough, Steve wasnt liked by some people but why shoot this kids down?

Fair enough. I should state that I whilst I do admire what SI did for raising the awareness of conservation, I just wish he had chosen a better way to do it. But I guess that with todays media penchant for extreme versions of everything from sports to culinary prowess to pawing through someones old junk, ones choices are fairly limited if you wish to get your show aired.

By the way, as far as SI is concerned, even I (with all my prejudice :lol:) feel that he stands head and shoulders above certain other wildlife presenters...

PMyers, I do hope that wasn't a veiled shot at DOCTOR Chris Brown, master of vetererinerological science.

Sorry for the caps, threw up in my mouth a little while typing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back