can some one help identify this snake!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't aware that they killed it, as it did not say in the OP. I thought the cat may have done damage to the snake. That was until i saw the shovel... that is when it became obvious to me.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet the snake appears somewhat intact. Shovel affected snakes are generally missing their head.

Unless it is used to "swat" the snake...

And yet the snake appears somewhat intact. Shovel affected snakes are generally missing their head.

I'd much rather someone uses a shovel to move a snake that they're not sure is venomous or not, or alive or not for that matter. Or better still, call a re locator.​

• Its head is completely crushed in.

There is also what appears to be blood or similar on the shovel. Poor snake :(

- - - Updated - - -

There is also what appears to be blood or similar on the shovel. Poor snake :(

Don't jump to conclusions..gosh..
That snake looked pretty close to dying in the first pic.. wouldn't you pick it up with a shovel if it was still alive enough to bite you?
Of course, his cat killing it isn't much better...

Don't jump to conclusions..gosh..
That snake looked pretty close to dying in the first pic.. wouldn't you pick it up with a shovel if it was still alive enough to bite you?
Of course, his cat killing it isn't much better...
I'm almost certain the cat didn't crush it's head.
And I'm sure as hell that the snake wasn't born like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm almost certain the cat didn't crush it's head.
And I'm sure as hell that the snake wasn't born like that.

P.S Carpe Diem means seize the day, not the moment. It's not an eminem song.

I don't think the head looks any different in the 2nd pic than it did in the first. You just cannot see it as well.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

P.S Carpe Diem means seize the day, not the moment. It's not an eminem song.

Gee thanks for that.. i think i know what it means. Its actually a quote.. its NOT an eminem song.

I don't think the head looks any different in the 2nd pic than it did in the first. You just cannot see it as well.
You can see it even better in the second shot. In fact you can zoom in and see the bits of flesh hanging out the left side of its head and the mushed patch of flesh on the right side where a little blood is coming out.

I think you are correct.

edit:just read the rules of this section.
My reason on thinking it is a de vis is because that's what it looks like to me.
cheers so it seems it could be a de vis then , i had to think about posting that as i was a little worried of the usual backlash when its wrong but it just didn't look like all the adders id seen in pics and the few ive seen personally much for the same reason as others head seemed a little to round and the body wasn't really fat enough although that could just be because its a little under fed being wild plus i dont really know the definite distribution of the de vis as alot of maps say different things and thats all i really have to go off

dunno about queensland but here in nsw wen i adopted 2 cats i went down to my local council to get infomation on cat keeping (council rules) and to register them. i was told cats are not allowed to be out after dark and that i must have them locked up at night inside my house and let them out in the morning if i wish. the reason why is obviouse they cause car accidents and get run over alot plus they kill native wildlife. and since cats are introduced and owners are not willing to comply the cat should be put down if caught killing native wildlife.

i zoomed in on pics and he definatly has bad head injuries more than a cat would do, looks like a shovel smashed his head.

Noooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

- - - Updated - - -

I keep DeVis, they are wonderful little elapids, and also happen to be on a class 1 licence in NSW, although naturally they are frog eaters, most will eat rodents after some time, me big girl will eat any meat product I put in with her.

Yeah it's a De Vis Banded for sure, poor thing. As Jason said they are great snakes to keep. Great feeders and very interesting to watch.

It is the same snake in both pictures. Cameras on phones don't show much detail some times. We were extremely surprised when we got it outside and it showed such vibrant colours. I do understand the negativity that is being expressed do to the condition of the snake. It was alive when we found it. Apologies to any one I may have offended here. The closest snake handler is over 2hrs drive away from us and a decision had to be made for the safety of my family since I do have children. If there were another option, we would have taken it

Ever heard of a broom? [deleted]

Attempts at living on high moral ground are often built on shaky foundations.

I don't condone what appears to have gone on here. I don't pretend to know the facts either.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looked hurt/dead to me in both pictures, in fact I just assumed it was and ID for a dead snake until I read the OP more thoroughly.

Yeah I fell in love with these guys photographing them out in Central West NSW, absolutely cool snake, I wish I got some pics of them eating frogs.

I thought it looked dead in the first one but the second one, it's head is all smacked in :(

I'm jealous, I would love to go herping, got to get a good camera and find the time :D
Anyone recommend a good camera?

Attempts at living on high moral ground are often built on shaky foundations.

I don't condone what appears to have gone on here. I don't pretend to know the facts either.

But you still give your opinion, makes you worse than me to be honest.
I don't need to know the "facts". The snake was in the house, they bludgeoned it and then posted pictures for an I.D. The snake didn't chase them, it didn't attempt to kidnap for ransom nor did it plan on robbing their house.

if it did not show signs of agression then you should of tried scooping it up with the shovel and placed it in a bucket slammed a lid on and gone and released it or got a snake catcher to release it.

i'v had deadly snakes on my property and i have a baby and pets, but never have i killed a venomouse snake, i get my partner to go out with steel cap boots and large kitchen tonges or snake hook and a large click clack. have always removed them and then released. we don't even own a ven, but i respect them. most times they show no aggression they just try to get away from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back