Monitor Populations in Captivity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks scotty.

I was doing some more research and discovered the blue tailed monitor (V. doreanus), they mainly live in new guinea but are also found on the top cape york peinsula of Australia. Whats the story on these guys?

No chance of getting any V. doreanus for a very long time in my opinion, we'd be more likely to get V. parsinus which as it is, is very unlikely.

No chance of getting any V. doreanus for a very long time in my opinion, we'd be more likely to get V. parsinus which as it is, is very unlikely.
At least we know for sure doreanus actually exists on our mainland I think I read somewhere that although prasinus have been seen by a few people it's yet to be actually proven with photographs or live capture of a specimen we really need these lizards in captivity.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that Australia Zoo once had a V. keithhornei pair, I don't know if they're still around. Also thanks for the info Monitors_R_Us.
Australia zoo in the nineties legally caught keithorne and after a few years managed to successfully breed them on a regular basis I believe they released all the offspring back in the wild. There is an excellent write up on it on the net if you do a search .Since steve irwin was mad monitor man I often wonder what species they keep at that zoo beyond public viewing I would imagine everything talked about on this thread has been kept at that zoo over the years

Just give the doreanus 20 years or so to increase their population in the wild here in Australia then we'll see happens. From what I've heard Australia Zoo has kept pretty much every varanid beyond public viewing there, until Steve's death their monitors were actually doing really well. I often wonder what happened after his death and if all those monitors are still there, just hidden behind closed doors or if they were introduced to the public.

such an interesting topic..wish there was more keithhornei and doreanus, for supremer to any of the prasinus quadrupal, besides the black tree monitor ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back