1st Snake check list.. Making sure I didn't miss anything.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lachie2261

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm picking up my first snake on Saturday a Blonde Spotted Python. Just making sure I haven't forgotten anything.

I have a medium sized click clack container.
14W heat pad
water dish
reptile hide
feeding tongs
snake hook
kitty litter for bedding.

Anything else I'm missing that's essential?

Also I have thermometers but they are just normal household ones. Is it necessary to have a reptile one?

Thanks lachie

Not sure you really need tongs and a hook for a baby Mac but at least you're ready. :)

You'll love it and learn a heap really quickly, just give your snake time to settle in before you try getting it out to hold etc. There is a recent thread 'Stimi Questions' I think... something like that anyway. Probably worth a read as a lot of basic stuff is covered there.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the thread I meant... http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/stimsons-pythons-question-193960/

Last edited:
Thermostat ? For the novice keeper this is an essential item.

Temperature is also very important, so you need something reliable to measure this. A probe thermometer is preferable, or a "temp gun". Using a standard household thermometer probably won't cut it, for getting accurate readings.

Hey thats sounds all good thats all the essentials when you get your spottie let it settle in for a while a week or so before you handle its better if you use your hands rather than a snake hook there only small pythons will not hurt much if it strikes or bites you that way will get used to you more quickly and enjoy your new pet good looking the blonde spotties

one more thing for the list: STOP WORRYING AND ENJOY SNAKEY! :D

I'm not saying that you seem like you are worried! but i know when i was in the same situation its like this massive blurr of excitement, worry, impatience, joy etc :p

Hell ive gone through the same thing with all my animals. Even after having snakes for years. I still go abit nuts haha :)

Seems like you have everything under control! (go grab a thermostat aswell tho) Enjoy yourself brother!

Buy a temp gun now ( can be $30 ) and will save you the need of buying countless thermostats that can cost up to $200 if you are looking at getting any more herps

Yeah I will definately get a gun. They would just be in bunnings or so hey?

Thanks everyone for the tips :) appreciated

1st Snake check list

Buy a temp gun now ( can be $30 ) and will save you the need of buying countless thermostats that can cost up to $200 if you are looking at getting any more herps

:rolleyes: JUST ONE! it's addictive! lol
What about food? It's hard to find in some areas so good idea to have small backup! Good luck mate

Haha food seems to be everywhere surrounding me. I have about 6 or 7 pet stores that do frozen mice for me all close by :)

How will a temp gun save you the need for a thermostat ?

Your very lucky I have to travel 70kms and only 2 tiny pet shops which never has the size I want so I have to order or travel 200kms and silly enough it happens!
New snake mean heaps of excitement and lots of worry advice don't second guess yourself and if worried ask for help early! Always best to look a little silly than to lose your new friend

How will a temp gun save you the need for a thermostat ?
I guess you stand there all day checking temps.
I run a heated shelf with my Bhps. No thermostat, and I check the temps now and then with my gun. Maybe that's what he means? I think no thermostats set ups should only be used if you know that the max temps don't get dangerously high. That means even if the room is 30 degrees that the temps don't get hot enough to cook or burn your animal.

I guess you stand there all day checking temps.
I run a heated shelf with my Bhps. No thermostat, and I check the temps now and then with my gun. Maybe that's what he means? I think no thermostats set ups should only be used if you know that the max temps don't get dangerously high. That means even if the room is 30 degrees that the temps don't get hot enough to cook or burn your animal.

Yeah, I have several setups here with no stats too. Like I said in my first post though, I believe a stat is essential for the novice keeper. JMO, of course.

I see you do like shopping at petshops. I guess if you need a thermostat, then by all means.

so when you go out for the day, how do you guarantee that your snakes/reps dont get to hot or cold?

if your gonna tell a newb they DON'T need something at least explain to them why....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back