1st Snake check list.. Making sure I didn't miss anything.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so when you go out for the day, hoe do you guarantee that your snakes/reps dont get to hot or cold?
1)I supply all my animals in large enough cages to supply an excellent gradient.
2)I buy the maximum wattage cord/bulb that i need to the animals need.
3)I set my enclosures up well before with testing before an animal comes checking temps.
If a bulb blows or a matt malfunction's the animal may simply go down to the cool end until i arrive home and check with my temp gun.

- - - Updated - - -

if your gonna tell a newb they DON'T need something at least explain to them why....
you're* and everything else was perfect in the explanation of what they had, someone added that they would need a thermostat which is quite ridiculous.

1)I supply all my animals in large enough cages to supply an excellent gradient.
3)I set my enclosures up well before with testing before an animal comes checking temps.
If a bulb blows or a matt malfunction's the animal may simply go down to the cool end until i arrive home and check with my temp gun.

thats fine for someone who has the knowledge behind them, but we are talking to someone who has openly said they are new to rep keeping and asked for advice.... how does he know what will give him ideal temps?

thats fine for someone who has the knowledge behind them, but we are talking to someone who has openly said they are new to rep keeping and asked for advice.... how does he know what will give him ideal temps?
Well in that he has obviously done some research whether it be online or in person as he has everything else correct and that wattage heat matt will be perfect.

Also i suggested in getting a temp gun if you read ;) that is all he will need.

- - - Updated - - -

you're* and everything else was perfect in the explanation of what they had, someone added that they would need a thermostat which is quite ridiculous.

YOUR spell checking proved exactly what i thought....

I have to admit I didn't use a thermostat with my first python. A heat cord at 1/3 of the tub really didn't need one. I kept an eye on the temps and moved to tub slightly to adjust accordingly. It's not rocket science to have a warm end using cord and no thermostat. A certain amount of loops seemed to keep the temps in the low thirties. When winter came I increased the amount of heat cord loops. It's all very simple and safe. I had zero experience at the time. But had a bit of common sense perhaps. Newbies are more capable than some peole give them credit for.

If you two are finished haggling about spelling and grammar (BTW capital 'I' Monitors...) an alternative to a thermostat is to use power point timers and a temp gun. I have a halogen down light and a heat mat setup on 24hr timers on different on/off ratios that I tested before my snake arrived and monitored with temp readings at different times of the day. I still periodically check but have not needed a thermostat for my current enclosure.

A thermostat does make it easier and as the OP is getting his new snake in the next few days it is probably an easy way to have peace of mind even if it does cost a little more.

I love my laser temp gun... :)
Me 2 best ever......oh and the Tongs???....well might need for a cage defensive JUNGLE...well snakes r addictive.......AND YES all of mine r run on stats .......the gun is to make sure all is running to plan..Takes 2 secs!!!!!! lol

Last edited:
If you two are finished haggling about spelling and grammar (BTW capital 'I' Monitors...) an alternative to a thermostat is to use power point timers and a temp gun. I have a halogen down light and a heat mat setup on 24hr timers on different on/off ratios that I tested before my snake arrived and monitored with temp readings at different times of the day. I still periodically check but have not needed a thermostat for my current enclosure.

A thermostat does make it easier and as the OP is getting his new snake in the next few days it is probably an easy way to have peace of mind even if it does cost a little more.
I bet that took you 1/2 an hour to write up.

Ok so I got very lost in all that... But I'm getting a thermo gun for the time being and shop around for the thermostat. Asking as it won't kill her I'll be right :) thanks everyone I really appreciate the advise. Good community :)

Read those beginners threads that we linked for you Lachie and you'll do just fine. :)

Ok so I got very lost in all that... But I'm getting a thermo gun for the time being and shop around for the thermostat. Asking as it won't kill her I'll be right :) thanks everyone I really appreciate the advise. Good community :)

Decent Thermo guns start at 170 bucks..u dont need 1 ....just get yurself a cheap **** thermometer with a probe that u can fix to yur heatmat/cord/tile or under a lamp....PS...u asked a simple question and other people decided to make an argument over it...just ignor mate and keep it simple and as long as u read up on these things then u will learn very fast!!! all the best.......
Pete

- - - Updated - - -

thermometer, thermostat and food.
+1...+ Heat source ;)

Decent Thermo guns start at 170 bucks..u dont need 1 ....just get yurself a cheap **** thermometer with a probe that u can fix to yur heatmat/cord/tile or under a lamp....PS...u asked a simple question and other people decided to make an argument over it...just ignor mate and keep it simple and as long as u read up on these things then u will learn very fast!!! all the best.......
Pete

- - - Updated - - -

+1...+ Heat source ;)
You can actually get very good temp guns for $30 off ebay. :)

You can actually get very good temp guns for $30 off ebay. :)
ill get one and test against mine...well i borrowed from work and forgot to take back (tho they did ask for it today lol) and c how good they r....have u tested against a thrmometer? M R Us?
Thanks
Pete

ill get one and test against mine...well i borrowed from work and forgot to take back (tho they did ask for it today lol) and c how good they r....have u tested against a thrmometer? M R Us?
Thanks
Pete
"borrowed" I get you haha. Yes I have tested against a cheap thermo off ebay, a thermo probe and my 1st and last thermostat ( microclimate B1 ). It is always within 1 degrees.

"borrowed" I get you haha. Yes I have tested against a cheap thermo off ebay, a thermo probe and my 1st and last thermostat ( microclimate B1 ). It is always within 1 degrees.

Honest....i have done the heat cord under tile thingymygigy....and i needed to get acurate temps...tis a BLUE POINT (snap on) laser temp thermostate....but i need to buy sumat cheaper so thanks ill check out the EBay ones

I wasn't confident with the Ebay ones and got a good one through Jaycar for $100. I then bought some timers for about $20/pair. I wasn't 100% sure how to set up the thermostats I'd seen online and had no one who could really help me so I went this way and Skittles has been happy all through winter. I set it all up in Febuary and haven't changed a thing. Sitting here watching a very happy and active girl cruising around her tank as I type.

Honest....i have done the heat cord under tile thingymygigy....and i needed to get acurate temps...tis a BLUE POINT (snap on) laser temp thermostate....but i need to buy sumat cheaper so thanks ill check out the EBay ones
I will pm you the one i bought and also OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back